Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I teach class in church every fourth Sunday. And today's lesson really touched me. I like being cynical, but this broke through it. Made me feel in a way I don't very much. Most of my time is about understanding and believing. But today... I felt it. And since every time I teach I mention that I like to argue on the internet, I figure it's only fair that when I teach and feel something, I share it with the people I argue with.

For me, the Gospel is about improving yourself and loving others. He puts it in a way and ties it into Christ's love for us in a way that just...

Anyway. Here you go, for anyone who cares.

Quote:
But sometimes I think we misunderstand obedience. We may see obedience as an end in itself, rather than a means to an end. Or we may pound the metaphorical hammer of obedience against the iron anvil of the commandments in an effort to shape those we love, through constant heating and repeated battering, into holier, heavenly matter.

No doubt about it, there are times when we need a stern call to repentance. Certainly, there are some who may be reached only in this manner.

But perhaps there is a different metaphor that can explain why we obey the commandments of God. Maybe obedience is not so much the process of bending, twisting, and pounding our souls into something we are not. Instead, it is the process by which we discover what we truly are made of.

We are created by the Almighty God. He is our Heavenly Father. We are literally His spirit children. We are made of supernal material most precious and highly refined, and thus we carry within ourselves the substance of divinity.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/he-will-place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We can only HOPE that these others have enough 'faith' within themselves, and shall "upkeep" one another then, 'mon frere'! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.