Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

i'm perusing the ASBH book after having read non-Advanced SBH and i'm stumbling on this wording:

Quote:
When all of your models have been activated, or whenever your opponent uses two reactions to take the initiative, play passes to the opponent.

Because reactions happen before the active player can act, that wording implies that if you roll 2 failures and 1 success on 3 dice, the opponent can force a turn-over before you get to act with that 1 success. In contrast, non-Advanced SBH specifically allows the player to take that 1 action before passing the initiative to the next player.

Is that really a semantic difference or just an unfortunate phrasing [which really means the same thing as in non-Advanced SBH]?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A Turn over is not a reaction. So, the rules for the two are different even if the conditions that can lead to them are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
A Turn over is not a reaction. So, the rules for the two are different even if the conditions that can lead to them are the same.

That doesn't clarify it. If the active player rolls 2 fails, the opponent gets 2 reactions which, per the quoted bit, allows him to optionally become the active player. i.e. it is functionally identical (hair-splitting aside). My question is whether that happens immediately, before the active player gets to take his single successful activation. The wording implies "yes", but that seems like a rather sharp divergence from the basic game, thus i suspect that the answer is "no."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:

This is right. Logically, the opponent has foregone their two reactions to take initiative next turn. The current turn still has to be completed, so the phasing player takes their one remaining action. At the end of the turn, the opponent takes initiative.

It has also been clarified on the yahoo group where Andrea said "Yes you get your action BEFORE the turn over" (msg 29912)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.