Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rome: David S.
Carthage: Steve C.

Carthage started the game by expanding in Corsica/Sardinia and also by pillaging with its starting fleet of 2 warships. Rome began building up its military strength (eventually having all four legions) and expanding in Sicily (captured Syracuse on the 1st turn).

Rome's military might defeated Carthage in subsequent land campaigns (the main battle areas were Thermae on the northern coast of Sicily and Arigentum on the southern coast of Sicily), but the Carthaginians dominated the sea. However, Rome managed to rebuild her entire fleet, and with the 'Greek Allies' strategy card they posed quite a threat. The gods favored Carthage however as half the Roman fleet was sunk by 'Storms at Sea'. The Carthaginian navy then took care of the other half of Rome's fleet, so the seas were blue.

Pillaging gave Carthage the VP advantage, which proved crucial (see end game score). This helped save Carthage during dire times as they were stealing 4 Roman silver per success and also discarding a card from the enemy's hand (effect of the 'Pillaging' strategy card).

Prestige ended at 6 for both sides.

Both sides had 7 developed cities.

Carthage had a 1 VP advantage in captured towns, mostly via cavalry Raids (both sides maxed out their cavalry units).

Both sides thinned their decks at a steady pace. Rome made very good use of the 'Administration' strategy card.

Neither side Bribed in the game (Carthage had more vulnerable mercenary units).

In one key land battle, a Mercenary General (cost 8 Silver) saved Carthage from a humiliating defeat (2 free swords) before he auto-returned to the Empire deck.

Neither North Africa or Italy proper were invaded. Carthage had a late sneak invasion planned from Aleria, but Rome fortified Cosa (adjacent to Rome) to deter that threat.

The war ended after 12 turns, Carthage 90 VP and Rome 89 VP. The tide shifted back and forth several times, with the contest being tense throughout. Rome dominated Sicily, but Carthage had all of Corsica/Sardinia.

One helluva session, and a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, thanks!

When you say Rome captured Syracuse on its first turn, did you mean that literally? As far as I can see, Syracuse starts with defence of 2 and the most Rome can bring to the attack on the first turn is its legion, putting the score at 0. It will need to spend both actions on the next turn to swing this to +2, so that means its first two turns are needed to defeat Syracuse (and it needs to be lucky in its first draw to achieve this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Derek, first game turn for Rome to capture Syracuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Byrens
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

Steve, if Carthage had 7 developed cities, the game should have ended, since they only have 7 and using all of a side's "discs" ends the game

...right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
civplayer wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

Steve, if Carthage had 7 developed cities, the game should have ended, since they only have 7 and using all of a side's "discs" ends the game

...right?

Hi Rick, good question - Carthage has a capitol piece and 7 cities (so I had 1 city piece left).

Should a city piece be removed when using the capitol piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
civplayer wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

...right?

Hi Rick, good question - Carthage has a capitol piece and 7 cities (so I had 1 city piece left).

Should a city piece be removed when using the capitol piece?

Hm, you're supposed to just have 7 blue cities and your capital piece (i.e. 8 "discs"). Sounds like you have an extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
Hm, you're supposed to just have 7 blue cities and your capital piece (i.e. 8 "discs"). Sounds like you have an extra.

Dan, that's exactly what I have - so with Carthage and 6 other developed locations, we counted that as 7 cities (thus one piece - the 8th - thus left over).

Now I'm really confused - did we calculate things wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
djberg96 wrote:

Dan, that's exactly what I have - so with Carthage and 6 other developed locations, we counted that as 7 cities (thus one piece - the 8th - thus left over).

Now I'm really confused - did we calculate things wrong?

No, I think I just misunderstood when you said you had one left. You played correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.