29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Hangman Hill one of the weakest scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
I was tentatively excited as it started, the first few placements were filled with tantalizing clue and area descriptions. I also enjoyed the nod to 1e's "Fall of house Lynch". That all fell apart a few turns later as the descriptions became less interesting and the central mechanic was revealed (which way do you push the levers?? Oh my!). Apparently the designers decided the only way to get someone to replay something this mediocre was to ratchet up the puzzle difficulty and double the monster spawns, /sigh.

The designers are clearly not trying to impress us. What a half-hearted entry to produce at this crucial stage of the release schedule. Something this middling should have been included in the base game; it's not enough to support an expansion purchase nor will it convince any holdouts to buy the base.

I've yet to play the new version of the "The Call of the Wild" expansion scenario, but any hope I had for something better than the base box is dwindling. What a letdown for "second edition". This game could be so much more. It'll never be until the designers "love" it, and attempt to perfect it - instead of the cash-grab, bare minimum necessary, design-aesthetic that seems to rule Fantasy Flight currently. When will designers learn you don't need to "save something" for next edition, expansion, etc? Keep trying to put out the perfect game/scenario, and better ideas will come when you need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
You don't like the base game scenarios?
I've played the first 3 and thought they were great. Not sure what it is you are after as far as scenario design is concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. FFG didn't have to release any of the 1st Ed figures, but instead they did as a great way for those who missed it to have additional content. But instead of getting thanks, they are being blamed for a "cash grab".

I, for one, have had a great time with this game, and our group have easily gotten our money's worth. Don't see any of this as a "cash grab" and hope FFG keeps it up.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. FFG didn't have to release any of the 1st Ed figures, but instead they did as a great way for those who missed it to have additional content. But instead of getting thanks, they are being blamed for a "cash grab".

I, for one, have had a great time with this game, and our group have easily gotten our money's worth. Don't see any of this as a "cash grab" and hope FFG keeps it up.

-shnar

I don't exactly get what you mean by 'additional content'. Is this just access to monster and investigator figures? Which is fair, not sure how big a deal it is though. A lot of people will probably miss this and look at the scenario as the reason to buy.

I think someone having high expectations for a $70 AUD expansion to deliver an exciting new gameplay session isn't unfair. And since there is only one scenario attached to this very expensive expansion the eggs are kind of all in one basket here. If it feels like a miss when you play it you're going to feel let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have no idea how much bitching and complaining there would be if FFG did not offer this expansion...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone who's paying attention was fooled by the attempt to set up the air of reasonableness with an apparently positive first two sentences. Nothing on earth (or anywhere else) would have elicited a positive response from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the scenario, and we lost badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet...but the games been out for like 2 months? Give it some time, more stuff will come (hopefully free or at least cheaper).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:
I was tentatively excited as it started, the first few placements were filled with tantalizing clue and area descriptions. I also enjoyed the nod to 1e's "Fall of house Lynch". That all fell apart a few turns later as the descriptions became less interesting and the central mechanic was revealed (which way do you push the levers?? Oh my!). Apparently the designers decided the only way to get someone to replay something this mediocre was to ratchet up the puzzle difficulty and double the monster spawns, /sigh.

The designers are clearly not trying to impress us. What a half-hearted entry to produce at this crucial stage of the release schedule. Something this middling should have been included in the base game; it's not enough to support an expansion purchase nor will it convince any holdouts to buy the base.

I've yet to play the new version of the "The Call of the Wild" expansion scenario, but any hope I had for something better than the base box is dwindling. What a letdown for "second edition". This game could be so much more. It'll never be until the designers "love" it, and attempt to perfect it - instead of the cash-grab, bare minimum necessary, design-aesthetic that seems to rule Fantasy Flight currently. When will designers learn you don't need to "save something" for next edition, expansion, etc? Keep trying to put out the perfect game/scenario, and better ideas will come when you need them.

But you've been leading the charge in claiming that there's not enough replayability in the scenarios, and they need to release more, and 1E was better for that.

So now they've rushed out some scenarios and they're kind of okay but nothing special. And you're surprised? You get quality or quantity. 1E had "15" scenarios of which three were good. You wanted this to be more like 1E didn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
lovecraftgeek wrote:
Something this middling should have been included in the base game; it's not enough to support an expansion purchase nor will it convince any holdouts to buy the base..

It's not an expansion. It's a miniature and tile collection. The main point was to make the 1st edition physical content available to those that didn't previously own it. The scenarios are an added selling point and a bonus for people who already own 1st edition content.

Could you elaborate on why you think the scenario was bad? Also, you seem to be spending a lot of time and money on a game you constantly bag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed that scenario, though agree that the lever "puzzle" (it's not really a puzzle) was a little weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't beaten this one yet, though technically I did win because I had an insane condition. From the experience we did have, it is much like the first scenario in the base game in that the ending seems to change (I imagine pretty drastically) based on how long it takes you to get there.

The lever puzzle, while not challenging, preserves the effect of never knowing which way you have to switch them to actually progress, preventing a loss of replayability. This is great though simple.

And the more I play, the more complex I realize the strategy is:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

It becomes quite obvious that you are not MEANT to fight the zombies, but instead use barricades as much as possible. The Maniac that spawns has an ability to break down barricades more easily (good design choice), and both act as a timer rushing you towards success or defeat. Having felt that barricades were near useless in the base game (and some scenarios since then in 2E) I really appreciated this aspect. Zombies are terrible at barricades... which is very thematic.

Both games I played had different map layouts. One was a 2 player game, one was a 4 player game. The 2 player game seemed BRUTAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Considering the shit quality of the minis it's absolutely a cash grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except it's not really because many of us already had the minis and the tiles. If it was a cash grab they would have included the scenarios ONLY with purchase of the collections, or the ability to unlock them for a small fee (and the conversion kit wouldn't have even been a thing).

Just because the minis quality isn't the same as a it was in the base game that was released years ago, it's a cash grab? They are likely using a different company to produce the minis which likely has both an impact on the quality and pricing.

I don't buy it. But if you do, you have the option to.. well.. not buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Magic Pink wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

But there are *loads* of them. A cash grab would have been to do them like Descent, split them up into 4 investigators, 3 monster groups and a bunch of tiles per box, in four or five boxes for $30-40 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim

Minneapolis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

But there are *loads* of them. A cash grab would have been to do them like Descent, split them up into 4 investigators, 3 monster groups and a bunch of tiles per box, in four or five boxes for $30-40 each.

That's Phase 2.

I'm hoping FFG is getting wise to all the interest generated in their APP tied games (they did take notice of the 3x increase in Descent sales following the release of the Road to Legend App), and hire more people to generate content. Theres a huge appetite for good quality content. MOM is still pretty new and fingers crossed that in a couple of months there will be a steady drip of new scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Haven't picked mine up yet, but I'm assuming they're just reprints of 1st Ed's minis? Not really sure what you were expecting, and once again, damned if you do, damned if you don't. If FFG hadn't offered this, how many people would be bitching that you can't get these figures? (answer: a lot)

-shnar

Edit: I should add, perhaps we have a different definition of cash grab? I see cash grab as essential parts of a game split up into very expensive pieces. This is A) not essential in the least bit and B) not very expensive. But I digress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

You seem to have forgotten one of the most important parts of these $40 Descent boxes, the 5 or 6 Quests that each one comes with. So if FFG Would like to of a 4 investigator, 3 monster group, tile bundle with 5 scenarios, they can cash grab all they like, I'd be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

You seem to have forgotten one of the most important parts of these $40 Descent boxes, the 5 or 6 Quests that each one comes with. So if FFG Would like to of a 4 investigator, 3 monster group, tile bundle with 5 scenarios, they can cash grab all they like, I'd be happy.

Where did you get 5-6 quests from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
steves71 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

Not in the Hero and Monster Collection boxes, which reprint Descent 1E heroes in and monsters in a similar way (they are new sculpts though). They each have a single quest.

The small FFG Descent expansions with the 5-6 quests have significantly fewer figures than these (two heroes, two monster groups) and a lot fewer tiles as well. That fact is also why I'm positive we'll see future expansions with many more quests and far fewer minis for Mansions 2E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
steves71 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

Not in the Hero and Monster Collection boxes, which reprint Descent 1E heroes in and monsters in a similar way (they are new sculpts though). They each have a single quest.

The small FFG Descent expansions with the 5-6 quests have significantly fewer figures than these (two heroes, two monster groups) and a lot fewer tiles as well. That fact is also why I'm positive we'll see future expansions with many more quests and far fewer minis for Mansions 2E.

Though keep in mind that a MoM scenario is significantly more complex than a Descent quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
steves71 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

I was referring to the small box expansions which is what I thought you were also referring to because of the part I have made bold, "a bunch of tiles per box" H&M packs don't come with tiles so I presumed proper expansion.

The last point you make, I really hope that is true and we do get packs with more scenarios and fewer minis I love the minis in Descent but these MOM one are garbage in comparison IMO, so I'll welcome not having to pay a premium for an expansion with figures I won't be using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Verveer
msg tools
I'm so very sad to read this.
I recently played the Cult of the Sentinel scenario and I did not like it very much.
I just hope the writers of future campaigns will up their writing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
steves71 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
steves71 wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

I was referring to the small box expansions which is what I thought you were also referring to because of the part I have made bold, "a bunch of tiles per box" H&M packs don't come with tiles so I presumed proper expansion.

FFG actually refer to them as "collections" like the hero and monster packs, rather than expansions. And they reprint 1E material in the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Haven't picked mine up yet, but I'm assuming they're just reprints of 1st Ed's minis?

Don't let all the naysayers fool you; these are exactly the same quality. I have figures from 1st Ed and my buddy picked up the Recurring Nightmares/Suppressed Memories sets. Our monster figs are identical from what I can tell.

The only differences are the investigators which are still identical figure wise but are on an attached grey base (like 2nd ed) instead of the separate black bases from 1st ed.

I think people are just looking for reasons to complain about this game at this point; the mind sees what it wants to see, I guess.

And to the rest of this topic: I quite enjoyed Dearly Departed. It felt like a tower defense game, and gave you hard choices between safely barricading and running around the yard gathering weapons, clues, and needing to solve the lever puzzle. I also quite enjoyed the puzzle at the end, which I won't spoil here.

Everyone's mileage may vary, but play it for yourself. Some people will just never be satisfied with anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.