Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Solo Expansion Ideas ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Since the solo game is so popular I wonder if they're considering adding elements to it in a future expansion. Something like maybe an "automata" you see in some other games these day?

What are some ideas you'd like to see them implement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
WBuchanan wrote:
Since the solo game is so popular I wonder if they're considering adding elements to it in a future expansion. Something like maybe an "automata" you see in some other games these day?

The expansions will offer new dimensions on the solo play too. I'm not sure what "automata" means, but then I'm not a big solo-player. Enlighten me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He's just using the term from Scythe. Automata is just an AI that allows you the play multiplayer solo. Really just a flow chart like in the COIN series that plays the other players for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
He's just using the term from Scythe. Automata is just an AI that allows you the play multiplayer solo. Really just a flow chart like in the COIN series that plays the other players for you.

Why the constant difference between automata and autometta and automa?? I dont own Scythe, but it seems to always READ "automa", but then people USE other terms for it, like mentioned. There was some review I watched where the guy wouldnt STFU about "autmoata", yet the game NEVER used that term in which we saw... it seems odd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Crikrunner wrote:

Viticulture actually, I've never played Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
jnowak415 wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:

Why the constant difference between automata and autometta and automa?? I dont own Scythe, but it seems to always READ "automa", but then people USE other terms for it, like mentioned. There was some review I watched where the guy wouldnt STFU about "autmoata", yet the game NEVER used that term in which we saw... it seems odd to me.

This might have something to do with it ...

Automata theory is the study of abstract machines and automata, as well as the computational problems that can be solved using them. It is a theory in theoretical computer science, under discrete mathematics (a subject of study in both mathematics and computer science). The word automata (the plural of automaton) comes from the Greek word αὐτόματα, which means "self-acting".

Plus it just sounds better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Nations is another good example of a simple "AI", similar to Viticulture (and I'd assume Scythe by the sounds of it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
EagleEye80 wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

The expansions will offer new dimensions on the solo play too. I'm not sure what "automata" means, but then I'm not a big solo-player. Enlighten me...

He said "expansions", plural! :0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:

This might have something to do with it ...

Automata theory is the study of abstract machines and automata, as well as the computational problems that can be solved using them. It is a theory in theoretical computer science, under discrete mathematics (a subject of study in both mathematics and computer science). The word automata (the plural of automaton) comes from the Greek word αὐτόματα, which means "self-acting".

Plus it just sounds better.

I disagree entirely, and think automa sounds the best....but thanks for the info, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
jnowak415 wrote:

I disagree entirely, and think automa sounds the best....but thanks for the info, though!

Your passion for the subject is outstanding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:

In Viticulture there is just one AI - Automa, designed by

Morten Monrad Pedersen

Then he designed one for Scythe as well but he created levels of difficulty. Autometta is 'easy', Automa "normal" and then there is a hard mode as well, but since I'm still playing against Autometta, I do not know what the harder Automa is called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read about the Automa approach to solo gaming at Morten's blog, right here at BGG. I'll quote a post in which he introduced that approach.

Quote:
The philosophy behind my approach is that playing the solo version of game should feel like playing the multiplayer game. This doesn’t mean that every detail should be the same, but the soul of the game should be intact... the solo player should face roughly the same choices and the same win-lose criteria as the multi-players.

Morten has designed automa for several Stonemaier games. He supports the use of the automa approach by others. To use a self-serving example, I designed an automa for a neat game called Cubist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.