United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Backers and those interested in Martians: A Story of Civilization,

I've reviewed the rules, and while it's evident that whoever provided assistance on the English translation missed several key areas, including the proper use of grounds and articles, it's salvageable.

To those who have read the rules, if you wouldn't mind passing on your findings, I'll compile them and provide them to both the Designer (who sadly, remains quite unresponsive) and to other players, by uploading them here on BGG.

For those who have had the pleasure of play-testing the game, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts, as well.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I've reviewed the rules, and while it's evident that whomever provided assistance on the English translation missed several key areas, including the proper use of grounds and articles, it's salvageable.

Whoever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The Professor wrote:
For those who have had the pleasure of play-testing the game, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts, as we'll.

well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

The verb clause tripped me up

Jared,

Thanks ~ This one is autocorrect fail (and typing on my phone)

So, have either of you read the rules? Do you happen to have any feedback for the designer?

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't bode well. I am praying the translator is a game player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
David,

The verb clause tripped me up :D

Jared,

Thanks ~ This one is autocorrect fail (and typing on my phone)

So, have either of you read the rules? Do you happen to have any feedback for the designer?

Cheers,
Joe

What verb clause?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have already proofread two rulebooks this year without getting any real response from the respective departments designers. Not going for a third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

It's a grammar rule which determines the use of either "whomever" or "whoever."

Max,

That's terrible. While I spent months reviewing our own rules before launching the Kickstarter, I greatly appreciated the assistance from other folks. As for me, I've been fortunate to work with great designers, proofreading a ton of material, including Randy Rathert (The King's Abbey), Jamey Stegmaier (Scythe Expansion), and the team dedicated to Nations: Dynasties.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Andrew,

I know this is off topic and I apologise for that. I tend to use words which feel or sound right and in this instance "whoever" sounds right to me - right or wrong. But would "whoever" be a pronoun? So I assume it is a verb clause which governs the correct pronoun? Is that right? If that is indeed correct then I must go down the route trying to work out why a verb would govern a pronoun. erm ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
Just to be clear, it sounds like you're doing this informally and without any relationship with the publisher/designer/etc. Is that right? Has the publisher and (apparently unresponsive) designer given any indication they want this sort of feedback and are interested in incorporating suggestions from the community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Andrew,

I know this is off topic and I apologise for that. I tend to use words which feel or sound right and in this instance "whoever" sounds right to me - right or wrong. But would "whoever" be a pronoun? So I assume it is a verb clause which governs the correct pronoun? Is that right? If that is indeed correct then I must go down the route trying to work out why a verb would govern a pronoun. erm ....

Andrew,

No disagreement here, especially from someone who began his college studies as an English major. I'll send you the info I found on the matter.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgillivray wrote:
Just to be clear, it sounds like you're doing this informally and without any relationship with the publisher/designer/etc. Is that right? Has the publisher and (apparently unresponsive) designer given any indication they want this sort of feedback and are interested in incorporating suggestions from the community?

Kevin,

You're absolutely right, I'm trying to garner as much feedback as possible. I reached out to the Designer approximately one month ago and received a .pdf of the material around 10 days ago after many, many e-mails.

Upon reading the material, I sent my corrections, but sadly have only met with silence. A number of other Backers have lamented how poorly written they find the rules, so I hope to compile the information for players and the Designer.

I've been assisting game designers for more than 7 years...sometimes, that has led to development work, and sometimes only appreciation for making more readable the rules. Either way, I'm pleased to engage with a community of like-minded players.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have at least one other contributor, a Backer who reached out to me via the Comments Section at the KS site who will provide feedback.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.