The Others» Forums » Variants

Subject: 'Heroic' House Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Burgess
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ok, so I came into this game looking to kick ass and chew bubblegum.
Well THAT didn't happen.
This just aint that game. I now understand what this is, and it's not a bad game, it's just not what I was looking for. I still really want to like this game though. It's just too pretty not to (Yes, I'm fully comfortable with my shallow nature).
A lot of people have said they they were going to house rule this game. Has anyone put together any rules to make The Others more heroic for the FAITH players but still balanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd need to redesign the game a LOT to achieve that, in all honesty - having realised the same thing, I am happy to own this game for what it is now, but cannot see the framework of it supporting the heroic, dungeon-bash style fight against the enemy I thought it would be.

Given the breadth of games out there, I'd strongly consider selling your copy on and picking up a game that DOES do what you are after. I think the new edition of Doom from FFG isn't far away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
What exactly do you mean by "more heroic for the FAITH players"? What would make the game more heroic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Burgess
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Bright Side wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "more heroic for the FAITH players"? What would make the game more heroic?

Less heroic sacrifice to the meat grinder, and more heroic kick down the door and save the day.
From what I've seen, the winning strategy for FAITH is, prepare for suicide run, make a mad dash for a game objective, fulfill objective, die horribly, spawn new character. What I'd like to see is a tactical unit advance, equipping heroes, killing monsters and recovering as necessary. I know I'm not the only one who was thinking this way before the first game. With several reviewers saying they were going to house rule the game, I wanted to know if anyone else had put anything together.
The thoughts we've had thus far (but haven't been able to playtest yet) are:
A) Cut the monsters dice pool in half.
B) Sins player can either move OR start a fight.
-Balance this out by taking away the extra heroes pool. One dead hero and SIN wins. Adding SIN reaction tokens may also be necessary.
Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
To me, sacrifice feels more heroic. Ah, well.

My thoughts are: you'd be better served playing a game designed from the ground up to be what you want it to be, rather than trying to retrofit a game that was always meant to be way darker than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always modify how you manage the set of 7 heroes. Instead of having the first ones die, just re-spawn them and keep track of the number of "deaths". This way, the starting heroes are in the game the whole time, and you can play around with penalties or repercussions of taking a fifth wound (Sin gets an extra reaction token, or Hero has limitations for the rest of the round, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gotten my copy yet (there was an e-mail mess up and now I'm in the second delivery in November [which may still be ahead of the European backers]) so can't speak to the The Others yet - but Massive Darkness, another CMON KS release, may be more up your alley. I'm basing this on a watch-it-played video I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Just a suggestion, but an easy switch would be to let the heroes have 6 or 7 hit points instead of 5, but then give them a reduced pool of heroes to draw from (5 or 6 heroes instead of 7)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.