1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Any similar games? (narrative co-op, no game master needed) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
I love this game, but since it has a limited replayability, I'm looking for similar games. Actually, I would like to have any similar games, anyways!
To be more specific, I'm looking for fully co-op games with RPG elements, exploration, preferably story based, but self-narrative (doesn't require a game master/keeper/overlord, whatever). I guess there are not many app-driven games out there (yet).
It doesn't neccessarily have to be a horror game, but a darker atmosphere would be great.

PS#1: I'm already a happy owner of Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Descent, as well as of Mice and Mystics, and I really like them all.

PS#2: I have found and interesting Japanese game called Ghost Hunter 13: The Tile Game from 2013. Apparently it's based on a Japanese RPG. As far as I can tell it shows some similarities to Mansions of Madness, but unfortunately only the 1st scenario is available in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
It is a bit different, but maybe look into T.I.M.E. Stories (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146508/time-stories).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Away Missions would fit your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
BruceLGL wrote:
It is a bit different, but maybe look into T.I.M.E. Stories (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146508/time-stories).

I had a copy of T.I.M.E. Stories.
Yep, it's a bit different, but we enjoyed it a lot.
Unfortunately, it's an actual one-timer, so I traded it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Roger beat me to the punch, so I'll repeat what he said because it deserves to be repeated! ...

Space Cadets: Away Missions checks every single box of yours perfectly! To be honest, I'm not sure why the game isn't more popular. This game is all those 1950s era space-rocketeer TV shows packed into a box!

Also, another game I have in my collection that meets most, if not all, of your requirements, is A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game and, A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion. This game is the movie 'Sleepy Hallow' packed into a box!

For a long time, AToE knocked Betrayal at the House on the Hill off my play list. But since BatHotH is such a good game, it's been welcomed back on my playlist as there's room for both of these games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
bgm1961 wrote:

Roger beat me to the punch, so I'll repeat what he said because it deserves to be repeated!

Space Cadets: Away Missions checks every single box of yours perfectly! To be honest, I'm not sure why the game isn't more popular.

Hmm, never heard of it. (Never heard of the aforementioned Ghost Hunter 13 game either, though.)
Maybe because it looks more like a tactical/action game with a sci-fi setting. I'm not really into sci-fi (although I love anything related to the Aliens franchise, for instance), but I will definitely check it!

A Touch of Evil seems to be pretty interesting! I wonder how immersive it might be story-wise?

Thanks, for Roger, too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island might be a good pick for you. As you explore elements get shuffled into the deck which can come back later and kick you in the butt.

Another one to keep an eye on once it's released is This War of Mine: The Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The recently released remake of Warhammer Quest matches your critera well:

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

You can also take a look at the Dungeons & Dragons Adventure System board games, although their narrative is limited compared to Mansions of Madness:

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
The Legend of Drizzt
Temple of Elemental Evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Mythos Tales came out just last week: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/126100/mythos-tales

It's based on Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective which might also be of interest. Both emphasise the story/exploration/puzzle aspect with very few mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Agents of Smersh
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Arkham Horror: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
JohnnyG wrote:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island might be a good pick for you. As you explore elements get shuffled into the deck which can come back later and kick you in the butt.

Another one to keep an eye on once it's released is This War of Mine: The Board Game.

Yes, I always wanted to try Robinson Crusoe. Thanks for reminding me!

As for This War of Mine, I really liked the video game with its dark colours! Didn't know there was a board game adaptation of it. I will check it for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
sighlance wrote:
The recently released remake of Warhammer Quest matches your critera well:

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower

You can also take a look at the Dungeons & Dragons Adventure System board games, although their narrative is limited compared to Mansions of Madness:

Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
The Legend of Drizzt
Temple of Elemental Evil

As a fan of D&D I played all the last 4 games, and I like them a lot!

I'm not really into Warhammer, though. I tried the original Warhammer Quest. It was good, as I recall it. I wonder if this remake has any significant changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
Deano2099 wrote:
Mythos Tales came out just last week: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/126100/mythos-tales

It's based on Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective which might also be of interest. Both emphasise the story/exploration/puzzle aspect with very few mechanics.

We really had a lot of fun playing Sherlock Holmes back in the days.
Then, as Lovecraft enthusiasts, we were totally excited when we learned about Mythos Tales (back then, it was called Arkham Investigator).
Thanks for the reminder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
emart40x wrote:
Agents of Smersh
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Arkham Horror: The Card Game

You are right, sir! I like the game book style of those titles. Although I think City of Chaos is a bit closer in the aspect of theme.
All of theme are great narrative stuff, indeed.

As for Arkham Horror: The Card Game, I don't know... You see, I've been looking forward to it with high expectations, but for some strange reason, the more I saw of it the less I felt interested in it. I love the board game version, but somehow this card game is just not my style.
But as a Lovecraft fan, it's a must-have, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this thread. I went to my FLGS looking for Mansions this past weekend, as while I love Arkham Horror, it gets played less and less as it takes up so much space, has been played probably close to 100 times, and really needs 3+ players while game nights have frequently been 2-3 people recently. So I was looking for a less bloated co op game for my group. The narrative aspect was going to be a new draw for me. I ended up with Descent, and played a few missions using the new app. It's very light on the narrative, but lots of fun, FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
monkeykins wrote:
I'm interested in this thread. I went to my FLGS looking for Mansions this past weekend, as while I love Arkham Horror, it gets played less and less as it takes up so much space, has been played probably close to 100 times, and really needs 3+ players while game nights have frequently been 2-3 people recently. So I was looking for a less bloated co op game for my group. The narrative aspect was going to be a new draw for me. I ended up with Descent, and played a few missions using the new app. It's very light on the narrative, but lots of fun, FWIW.

Yes, Arkham Horror takes a lot of space and also time to set up, especially if combined with expansions. And it doesn't really takes less, even if you're a pro. I have never found this a problem, though. But anyway, I prefer the original Arkham Horror (Chaosium, 1987) which is better in these aspects (too).
As for the number of players, usually we play it only with 2 players, running 2 Investigators each, and it works perfectly! Actually, playing this way is quite fun. You can have a different co-op experience, leveling and re-arranging wherever it is needed. Maitaining 2 characters requires a bit more attention, of course. Sometimes this can result dramatic twists, but in a good manner.

Descent is a great game, but in my opinion it's more of a hack'n'slash action dungeon crawler than an exploration/adventure game.
If you like it - and if you're not afraid of something with a more fable-like theme - I can only recommend Mice and Mystics. It's just unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
you will definitely want to find Gloomhaven when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:

Descent is a great game, but in my opinion it's more of a hack'n'slash action dungeon crawler than an exploration/adventure game.
If you like it - and if you're not afraid of something with a more fable-like theme - I can only recommend Mice and Mystics. It's just unique.

I agree about Descent. The app adds a little bit of story, at least.
I actually looked at Mice and Mystics in store, and as a result of this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
mfl134 wrote:
you will definitely want to find Gloomhaven when it comes out.

Looks interesting!

I like fantasy (especially dark fantasy), but I prefer the eerie haunted house atmosphere of Mansions of Madness and Betrayal at the House on the Hill. It can really capture the essence and the dark Lovecraftian mood of occult horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folklore: The Affliction looks very good.It is available for preorder now and is sheduled for Q1 2017 release.

I believe preorders currently include all Kickstarter unlocks too (there were A LOT of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

sorgur wrote:
Maybe because it looks more like a tactical/action game with a sci-fi setting. I'm not really into sci-fi (although I love anything related to the Aliens franchise, for instance), but I will definitely check it!

A Touch of Evil seems to be pretty interesting! I wonder how immersive it might be story-wise?

OK, fair enough, re Space Cadets being a sci-fi game.

About A Touch of Evil, the game comes with different "monsters" or "evil ones" (plainly called "villains" in the game). Each villain provides it's own scenario that drives the story for the game. So for instance, playing a game that features the Headless Horseman has a much different feel and "story" than playing a game that features the Necromancer, or the Scarecrow, or any of the other 11 or 12 villains that come in the base game and the 'Something Wicked' expansion.

Plus each villain comes with its own set of minions, that help to deepen the plot of the gameplay by forcing you to interact (fight or evade) with additional foes which help to enhance the theme that the villain brings to that particular game.

Plus the game can be played either co-op or competitive. Co-op is hard, though.

So this, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill have been our Halloween games. Now that I just bought Mansions of Madness, I guess I'll have to add that to the list as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients , may not have much of a actual ongoing story, but it's easy to string missions together and create you own story.

If you liked Warhammer Quest, you will probably love this, as its basically an updated version, with similar style game-play (including the traveling and town visits in between adventures) but (in my opinion) a lot more fun and immersive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Roger beat me to the punch, so I'll repeat what he said because it deserves to be repeated! ...

Space Cadets: Away Missions checks every single box of yours perfectly! To be honest, I'm not sure why the game isn't more popular. This game is all those 1950s era space-rocketeer TV shows packed into a box!

Also, another game I have in my collection that meets most, if not all, of your requirements, is A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game and, A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion. This game is the movie 'Sleepy Hallow' packed into a box!

For a long time, AToE knocked Betrayal at the House on the Hill off my play list. But since BatHotH is such a good game, it's been welcomed back on my playlist as there's room for both of these games!

No doubt: Space Cadets Away Missions.

While, mechanically, it is (a bit) more tactical than narrative, a wonderful story still always seems to emerge. It fits right alongside Descent and Mice and Mystics in terms of story presentation by using very creative scenarios, and the game is perfect for solitaire (or coop) play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:

To be more specific, I'm looking for fully co-op games with RPG elements, exploration, preferably story based, but self-narrative (doesn't require a game master/keeper/overlord, whatever). I guess there are not many app-driven games out there (yet).

Now why haven't Descent 2:ed, Road to Legend been mentioned all over this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:
sorgur wrote:

Now why haven't Descent 2:ed, Road to Legend been mentioned all over this thread?

Well, the OP owns Descent, and I just presumed he played with the app...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.