Hide
11 Posts

The Banner Saga: Warbands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need some rule clarifications for a few things. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Noakes
msg tools
Got the game and enjoyed the first scenario, but some of the rules are a bit unclear.

1. Do bannermen start at silver level? The Thane board implies they start at bronze but must be upgraded to silver then gold.

2. If a bannerman is at silver level, and is struck in combat, is he no longer able to use his ability? Does the same apply going from gold to silver?

3. If a bannerman is struck in combat, but survives the combat and enters another one, does he maintain his level? For example, if a gold bannerman is struck once in one combat encounter, is he permanently reduced to silver, or just for that combat encounter?

4. Gold rank units automatically destroy a shield icon when attacking, does this apply to special attacks? If it does, does the thane's bannerman instant kill any unit with his gold level special?

5. Does Colby's special ability hit allied units? If so, can you opt to use the silver level of an ability even when at gold rank?

6. If a camp event card tells you put add another card to the camp event deck, do you resolve the second card immediately, or save it for the next camp phase?

7. Does difficult terrain count as a space? If so, what encounter do you have there? Or does it only count as a space when there is a godstone in the same place?

8. For the first turn of the game on mission card #1, do you have an encounter for the current space, then perform city actions, then move? Is the Keeper of Names forced to do his city action every time he gets a chance to do a city action?

9. If an enemy archer has a priority to attack the bannerman with the highest renown, and is adjacent to one bannerman, but within range (where she needs both her movement and attack range) of another bannerman with higher renown, does she attack the adjacent unit or move to attack the other?

10. Is there any specific order to activate enemy units of the same type, or do we make the decision based on what is most advantageous/least advantageous for us?

11. Can you ever deviate from the mission path? If not, what if the Serpent will unavoidably collide with your warband? Is it an unavoidable game over?

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, you hit on a bunch of Q's I had during my rule read. Looking forward to answers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the authority on this, but I'll try to answer what I can (although some is just my opinion)

Brackstone wrote:
Got the game and enjoyed the first scenario, but some of the rules are a bit unclear.

1. Do bannermen start at silver level? The Thane board implies they start at bronze but must be upgraded to silver then gold.

Per this forum, I would say yes. I think they had an oversight on changing the Thane board since originally Bannermen didn't start at silver. http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1425/rulebook

Quote:
2. If a bannerman is at silver level, and is struck in combat, is he no longer able to use his ability? Does the same apply going from gold to silver?

3. If a bannerman is struck in combat, but survives the combat and enters another one, does he maintain his level? For example, if a gold bannerman is struck once in one combat encounter, is he permanently reduced to silver, or just for that combat encounter?

I think they could still use their ability as the banner level is more supposed to reflect combat experience, I believe. Entering a new combat would return them to what their maximum banner level was unless they were defeated.

Quote:
4. Gold rank units automatically destroy a shield icon when attacking, does this apply to special attacks? If it does, does the thane's bannerman instant kill any unit with his gold level special?

Not sure on this one. I don't have the game in front of me and don't remember the referenced ability.

Quote:
5. Does Colby's special ability hit allied units? If so, can you opt to use the silver level of an ability even when at gold rank?

I would say no...but also, why would you? It's to hit two adjacent units. if you wanted to hit one unit a normal Attack would suffice, so I don't ever see a reason why you would opt to use his special to hit a single enemy unit.

Quote:
6. If a camp event card tells you put add another card to the camp event deck, do you resolve the second card immediately, or save it for the next camp phase?

I believe you resolve the whole stack...but I honestly don't know.

Quote:
7. Does difficult terrain count as a space? If so, what encounter do you have there? Or does it only count as a space when there is a godstone in the same place?

I don't believe it counts as an encounter space. It just eats up more supplies.

Quote:
8. For the first turn of the game on mission card #1, do you have an encounter for the current space, then perform city actions, then move? Is the Keeper of Names forced to do his city action every time he gets a chance to do a city action?

I believe you do the 'setup' where it tells you to draw followers, give supplies, etc. Then do an encounter, then move. I don't think anyone is forced to do their city actions in the normal flow of the game. They're only mentioning it in the first mission to guarantee people see how followers work.

Quote:
9. If an enemy archer has a priority to attack the bannerman with the highest renown, and is adjacent to one bannerman, but within range (where she needs both her movement and attack range) of another bannerman with higher renown, does she attack the adjacent unit or move to attack the other?

My take was that they would move and attack the highest given they list the Move action before the Attack one.

Quote:
10. Is there any specific order to activate enemy units of the same type, or do we make the decision based on what is most advantageous/least advantageous for us?

I would like to know this as well.

Quote:
11. Can you ever deviate from the mission path? If not, what if the Serpent will unavoidably collide with your warband? Is it an unavoidable game over?

I haven't dug into the expansion at all, so can't really offer anything.
Thanks for any help![/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Noakes
msg tools
Quote:

Quote:
Not sure on this one. I don't have the game in front of me and don't remember the referenced ability.

The Thane's ability is to move through an enemy and hit them 2 times at silver, 3 times at gold. So if special attacks do gain the bonus against shields at gold level, he would destroy the shield, and hit 3 times, which I believe is enough to kill any unit.

Quote:

Quote:
I would say no...but also, why would you? It's to hit two adjacent units. if you wanted to hit one unit a normal Attack would suffice, so I don't ever see a reason why you would opt to use his special to hit a single enemy unit.

Remember, Colby's special ability is to hit each adjacent target on one side of him, and each target on 2 sides at gold level. So in a hypothetical scenario where on one side he has 2 enemies, and on another he has 2 allies, then it would matter A) if he can even hit allies and B) if he could opt to use the silver level of his skill to avoid hitting those allies.

Quote:

Quote:

The scenario that came up is that we had one card in the camp deck, resolved it, but the resolution told us to add another card to the camp deck. Weird situation, but one that can occur. For reference sake, the first card was the Disease event, and the option we chose told us to add the Traitor event.

Quote:

Quote:
I believe you do the 'setup' where it tells you to draw followers, give supplies, etc. Then do an encounter, then move. I don't think anyone is forced to do their city actions in the normal flow of the game. They're only mentioning it in the first mission to guarantee people see how followers work.

The Keeper's city action is where he recruits 100 men/10 varl, the follower thing is his camp action. But yeah, I wasn't sure if he was forced to do it every time he gets the opportunity or not. Since in scenario 1 you start and end in a city, I assumed you have to do it twice, but we also had an event that allowed us all to do our city action, so I wasn't sure if in that case, he is forced to do it all 3 times.

Quote:

Quote:
My take was that they would move and attack the highest given they list the Move action before the Attack one.

That makes sense to me too, though now I wonder if an enemy will move even if a valid target is already within range. Should an enemy move no matter what? What governs it's movement if by moving, it's priority target doesn't change?

Thanks for the help though, you really cleared up some of the more pressing questions, especially with regards to unit rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I'm trying to figure some stuff out too.

In regards to Thane, I would say you have it correct. It seems strong, but given the Willpower cost probably not something that's effective to "spam".

Wasn't aware of the Colby gold level ability as it's not in front of me in the moment. Based on that scenario I would actually say that he can. Keep in mind, I'm also basing this on that's how the ability works in the video game version of this, although it would also hold true that he could use his Silver skill instead of his Gold if he chose to. (not sure if you played the computer game or not, but you could basically choose how much willpower to wanted to use when you did a special ability to increase it's strength)

I think in combat they want the "AI" to always attack the highest priority target, so I think if the option was to either attack let's say a priority 2 or 3 target that's in range or move and then hit a priority 1 target (that they could actually reach and was in range) they would opt to do that instead.

Brackstone wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

The Thane's ability is to move through an enemy and hit them 2 times at silver, 3 times at gold. So if special attacks do gain the bonus against shields at gold level, he would destroy the shield, and hit 3 times, which I believe is enough to kill any unit.

Quote:

Quote:

Remember, Colby's special ability is to hit each adjacent target on one side of him, and each target on 2 sides at gold level. So in a hypothetical scenario where on one side he has 2 enemies, and on another he has 2 allies, then it would matter A) if he can even hit allies and B) if he could opt to use the silver level of his skill to avoid hitting those allies.

Quote:

Quote:

The scenario that came up is that we had one card in the camp deck, resolved it, but the resolution told us to add another card to the camp deck. Weird situation, but one that can occur. For reference sake, the first card was the Disease event, and the option we chose told us to add the Traitor event.

Quote:

Quote:

The Keeper's city action is where he recruits 100 men/10 varl, the follower thing is his camp action. But yeah, I wasn't sure if he was forced to do it every time he gets the opportunity or not. Since in scenario 1 you start and end in a city, I assumed you have to do it twice, but we also had an event that allowed us all to do our city action, so I wasn't sure if in that case, he is forced to do it all 3 times.

Quote:

Quote:

That makes sense to me too, though now I wonder if an enemy will move even if a valid target is already within range. Should an enemy move no matter what? What governs it's movement if by moving, it's priority target doesn't change?

Thanks for the help though, you really cleared up some of the more pressing questions, especially with regards to unit rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still making my way through the rules the first time, and haven't done a runthrough yet..

getting scared...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Kirkner
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Brackstone wrote:

#6 - In the gameplay video from the Kickstarter campaign, they have to add a camp event card to the deck during their final camp action. The guy running the game mentions that they don't have to resolve it at this time. I think this means that camp events are only resolved one at a time per camp action (possibly unless a card states otherwise).

#7 - In the same video, they count the rough terrain as a separate move when moving from the first mission start to the second internal encounter.

Granted they were playing with a prototype, and several rules have been changed between the time that video was released and now. Still, this all seems to make sense. Like you, my friend and I are also trying to get all the rules figured out before introducing this game to our play group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to answers for your question.

http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1985/banner-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Noakes
msg tools
BShotton wrote:
Here is a link to answers for your question.

http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1985/banner-s...

Wow, thanks for the speedy and detailed response, that definitely clears things up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland B.
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a "resolution token"?
I'm trying to play solo and can't seem to figure out what this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Wolvercote wrote:
What is a "resolution token"?
I'm trying to play solo and can't seem to figure out what this is.

Those are the 3 tokens that each role has to vote on the resolution options for external events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.