foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
This is all summarized on the Kickstarter page but it seems useful to put this info here as well.

If you want to play base Evolution with your Evolution: Climate set, which IMO is the best way to teach the game to a new player, then you need to:

1. Remove the trait cards Cooling Plates, Heavy Fur, Hibernation, Migratory, Mud Wallowing, Nocturnal, and the 6 Carnivore cards with alternate art (volcano in background) from the game. That should leave you with 129 trait cards (hopefully!).

2. Remove the Climate marker and climate event cards.

3. Use the Climate board as the Watering Hole.

4. The wooden markers now come in green (population) and brown (body size) instead of just brown as shown in the base game rules.

During play, ignore the climate track and all of the climate related rules. Also note that the cards Ambush, Burrowing, Defensive Herding, and Carnivore have Climate related icons or text that you should ignore. Other than that, the only other significant rules changes are:

1. During the Deal Cards phase, you deal 3 (instead of 4) plus the number of species to each player.

2. At the end of the Play Cards phase, you cannot exchange cards in your hand for new cards from the deck like you can in climate.

3. Species can have a max of 3 traits (instead of 4).

4. For two players, randomly remove 40 trait cards during setup. Species can have a max of two traits.

You can download the full Evolution base game rules from North Star's website.

(Corrections welcome.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
If a game needs it, I feel forced to create and implement some variants.
mbmbmbmbmb

Not sooo important, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think NSG sayed that in the Stand Alone edition "all traits cards" come with climate icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:

Not sooo important, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think NSG sayed that in the Stand Alone edition "all traits cards" come with climate icons.

Not all of them. There are some cards from the base game that have had some climate icon or text added (my guess is about half of them), but you can easily ignore the climate icon/text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Chango wrote:

Not all of them. There are some cards from the base game that have had some climate icon or text added (my guess is about half of them), but you can easily ignore the climate icon/text.

I know well that the Climate conversion kit have what you are saying, but in some point NSG proposed add the climate icons to all the trait cards in the Stand Alone edition (to bring more climate control options). I don't know or remeber if they change or mantain that idea.

EDIT: Typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Stand Alone game... (well, the official PnP, but that shouldn't matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Anny48 wrote:
Chango wrote:

I had specified the traits that have Climate icons or effects. Did I miss any?

Also, I just noticed that I missed the exchange cards rule for Climate that isn't in the base game and have now added it.

(I too have the standalone game, which is the intended audience for this variant.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:

No, the CLIMATE stand-alone has exactly the same card mix as the CLIMATE conversion kit + Evolution (once you remove the 38 redundant cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Chango wrote:

No, the CLIMATE stand-alone has exactly the same card mix as the CLIMATE conversion kit + Evolution (once you remove the 38 redundant cards).

Cool Dom, thanks for clarify this ! Like some kickstarter backers, I'm still waiting my copy. So, I wasn't 100% sure of this. But it was commented some time ago, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

Speaking of the Conversion kit; I picked it up at Essen but couldn't find a ny description of thow to combine it with my original Evoltion box. What cards to replace, what cards to add, etc.

Obviously the event cards are new, but what about the extra trait cards? I could make an educated guess, but I'd love to have something official.

If I missed it in the manual or on the box, please point me to it... it could just be that I'm reading too many manuals recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
yorickh wrote:
I picked it up at Essen but couldn't find a ny description of thow to combine it with my original Evoltion box. What cards to replace, what cards to add, etc.

Obviously the event cards are new, but what about the extra trait cards? I could make an educated guess, but I'd love to have something official.

If I missed it in the manual or on the box, please point me to it... it could just be that I'm reading too many manuals recently.

The first bullet point under "SET-UP" tells you what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll dive in again and get it sorted. Really want to play this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.