$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me find a game for me and my dad to play so we can spend time together... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all,

My father bugs me that we should spend more time together before there's no more time for such things (I am 42): I agree. He loves dominos, but I am not so much into abstract strategy. He's competitive, so it can't be something that I would learn and teach to him and run away with it because he "doesn't get it." Finally, maybe nothing too fantasy or sci-fi as he's not into geek culture at all, not so much into war either: he likes history, social movements, adventure, art and sports. Oh, shouldn't be too long either. FYI, my favs are things like 7 wonders, Ghost stories, Xia, Suburbia...

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts,
Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a little long but you could try freedom the Underground Railroad. It's about as social movement-y as you can get. It's also cooperative and difficult, so you can't "run away" with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sounds like simple card games would be a good place to start: Lost Cities and Trambahn spring to mind. Possibly Mystery Rummy too, but it's a bit more work to get a handle on.

Edit: Patchwork and Splendor might also be good options for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamKochel wrote:
Hey all,

My father bugs me that we should spend more time together before there's no more time for such things (I am 42): I agree. He loves dominos, but I am not so much into abstract strategy. He's competitive, so it can't be something that I would learn and teach to him and run away with it because he "doesn't get it." Finally, maybe nothing too fantasy or sci-fi as he's not into geek culture at all, not so much into war either: he likes history, social movements, adventure, art and sports. Oh, shouldn't be too long either. FYI, my favs are things like 7 wonders, Ghost stories, Xia, Suburbia...

Sam

If I were you I'd do it his way and start with dominoes. Obviously you and he like different sorts of games, and one of you must compromise or it's not going to happen and you might regret that missed opportunity down the road.

Once you've played a few times you might could sound him out about backgammon, checkers or maybe cribbage. All good games; who knows, it might expand your horizons.

Your dad might reciprocate at some point, offering to try one of your favorites, but I wouldn't push him on that. If he hasn't yet tried other sorts of games at his age, chances are he never will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
+1 for Patchwork and Splendor. Great, simple games to start with.

If he enjoys card games, I would also recommend Jaipur and Morels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Kingdomino last weekend. Could be a good compromize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne
Pandemic

This sounds like one of those good problems to have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamKochel wrote:
He loves dominos, but I am not so much into abstract strategy.

Ah, most of my thoughts were easy abstract strategy, card games, pub type games. I wouldn't really consider dominoes to be abstract strategy though. I'd have thought what you want is a game that let's you talk which is a feature of pub games discussed in replies to this blog post.

Sphere wrote:
If I were you I'd do it his way and start with dominoes.

Agreed. I've not really played in enough as an adult but I think it's a fairly good game. Backgammon, checkers & cribbage are good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack was one of my father's favourites.

He also enjoyed Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not alternate as to who gets to choose what you do when you spend time together?

That way you both get to show the other what you each enjoy, and hopefully you'll find some crossover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork
Cottage Garden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 play domino's
+1 Pandemic

You could also try :

Mystery in the Abby
Ticket to Ride
Cargo Noir
Colosseum

Good Luck!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders Duel
Schotten Totten (There's a new version coming out any day.)
Imperial Settlers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SamKochel wrote:
Hey all,

Sam

Great Idea! I lost my dad a few years back, before I got into boardgaming.. He wasn't the type to play boardgames.. at least not that we ever tried.. Every day that goes by, I wish I had spent more time with him.

if he likes abstract strategy, you could try Hive. If he likes the base game, you could start adding expansions to keep in interesting. You could also try Battle Line or Jaipur.

I would stay away from anything which requires a lot of reading or small print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My father and I get together on a regular basis to play 2 player games. It started when him and my mother moved near my wife and I and we too decided we needed to spend more time together.
My Dad has always been a big fan of card games so we started by playing the games he new and liked. After a few visits playing cards I brought over Ticket to Ride for us to play. The set collection was something he was familiar with, so it was an easy next step and he really enjoyed it.
Over the past year and half we have been having our regular games I have slowly introduced more games to him and slowly we have moved away from the traditional card games. He is now a big fan of Concordia.
I would play Dominos and look for other games that your Dad is familiar with and enjoys. From there find games with similar mechanics and introduce those games slowly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dequoi Jmemele
France
flag msg tools
I'll write something interesting here some day
badge
These are my dice, go and find your own !
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

If I were you I'd do it his way and start with dominoes. Obviously you and he like different sorts of games, and one of you must compromise or it's not going to happen and you might regret that missed opportunity down the road.

Once you've played a few times you might could sound him out about backgammon, checkers or maybe cribbage. All good games; who knows, it might expand your horizons.

Your dad might reciprocate at some point, offering to try one of your favorites, but I wouldn't push him on that. If he hasn't yet tried other sorts of games at his age, chances are he never will.

+1
And there are many games you can play with dominoes which you could like. Have a look at Euronimoes for example !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games:
Wyatt Earp
Any of the Mystery Rummy games.

Chess like games:
Hive
Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game or The Duke

War games:
Memoir '44 or Battle Cry or The Great War

There are really a ton of choices. It just boils down to finding a game that fits the time, theme and mechanics. It is not an easy task. I have Memoir '44 ready to go with my dad but it just hasn't happened, yet. Good luck in your search, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom hates learning new games, especially from me.

She really enjoys:

Splendor
Patchwork
Glen more

I think Samurai might be a good option as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rosbret wrote:
And there are many games you can play with dominoes which you could like. Have a look at Euronimoes for example!

Euronimoes is good (well I've only played it twice I think and haven't tried the latest version of the rules yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle is a nice dominoe-y type game. My mom has played so much she has worn out two sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball Highlights: 2045

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Battle Line
+1 Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine Finlay
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
He's eating a Dungeon Lord imp...
mbmbmbmbmb
YINSH or Hive would be great games to start with. They aren't rules heavy but have a lot of strategy to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If he loves dominoes, why not try Sapiens? He would instantly get the shapes and the matching aspect.

The artwork might be childish but the theme is still interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.