Subject: Question about damage. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woden Ducky
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit unclear on how damage works. Let's say I take 5 damage. There are two ways I can think of interpreting the rules.
A) I flip the 10,9,8,7, and 6 over. If this way then do the cards have to be in order?
B) I flip only the 10 over because that takes care of all the damage. Late game example would be flipping the 4 and 3 over because 4 isn't enough to cover the 5 damage. The order of the cards is obviously important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Jessup
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OdinofDuckies wrote:
It's a bit unclear on how damage works. Let's say I take 5 damage. There are two ways I can think of interpreting the rules.
A) I flip the 10,9,8,7, and 6 over. If this way then do the cards have to be in order?
B) I flip only the 10 over because that takes care of all the damage. Late game example would be flipping the 4 and 3 over because 4 isn't enough to cover the 5 damage. The order of the cards is obviously important.

The answer is A) and yes the 10 to 2 of hearts have to be in order.

Think of the top hearts card as being your hit points. You start with 10 hit points. When you take 5 damage you end up with 5 hit points (the 5 of hearts is on top). Yes, this is brutal. Yes, you die quick and often. And no, there is no 1 of hearts. When you go below 2 "hit points" you die.

But remember, if you take damage from a trap (diamonds) you only get hit once then you are done with that level. And you don't get the treasure.

If you take damage from a monster (spades) you keep drawing cards to attempt to defeat the monster until you defeat it or you die. Spades are far more nasty than diamonds. Though remember you can always drop a treasure card to get past the monster.

On a side note, I devised an "Easy Mode" variant in the variant forum you might want to check out. Basically when you play a card to defeat a monster and take damage, the monster takes the same amount of damage. So you only have to beat your last played card, not the original monster card. Makes the game far less brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woden Ducky
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought A was the case, just wanted to make sure. So there isn't any real mechanical reason for them to be in order, just that it shows how many "HP" you have left. My B scenario could be used as a variation too, making HP a bit less concrete, because depending on how you are damaged you would have somewhere between 9-54 HP. Thanks for the clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.