Colin Nordstrom
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
In Rahdo's video review he said the 2 player version left a lot to be desired because each player "could do everything" by game's end. Not sure if the game changed in development since his review, but this seems like a problem to me. I like games where you focus on pushing forward in one direction, not having the time to push in all directions. Again, I'm just commenting on the 2 player game. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not believe he implied the game "left a lot to be desired" or anything close to that level of issue with the game.

But yes, changes were made after his video to implement things he suggested as well as some others.

The game is very 2-player friendly.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can assure you that the two player is excellent and very competitive. Tom Jolly and I tested the two player extensively. The chances that you'll be able to do everything are slim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, also one of the changes since Rahdo's review as that you now place some dummy player workers on the board to help tighten it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo's input helped make the changes that tightened up the two player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Calder
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
Rahdo's input helped make the changes that tightened up the two player experience.

The neutral workers were already used during his run through. What changes to the 2P game have been made that he influenced? Are they already in the latest rulebook posted on BGG?

I think the main concern was the feeling that you could almost "do everything" in a 2P game rather than needing to specialize in some areas to score the most points. How was that addressed with the updated rule set?

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of Rahdo's plays were before and some were after we made the two player adjustments.

Other changes to the game are on the cards. There was some balancing as to which cards generated pollution when purchased, and how much cards were able to ramp up production. We made sure that players wouldn't be able to get a bunch of workers while also not polluting and thus not dragging out the game. These adjustments affected balance for all players, but helped ensure that two player games didn't drag out long enough to "do everything."

We're very happy with the balance and the wide diversity of effective strategies. Two player games we've seen since the game was finalized have been very competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Calder
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
Some of Rahdo's plays were before and some were after we made the two player adjustments.

Other changes to the game are on the cards. There was some balancing as to which cards generated pollution when purchased, and how much cards were able to ramp up production. We made sure that players wouldn't be able to get a bunch of workers while also not polluting and thus not dragging out the game. These adjustments affected balance for all players, but helped ensure that two player games didn't drag out long enough to "do everything."

We're very happy with the balance and the wide diversity of effective strategies. Two player games we've seen since the game was finalized have been very competitive.

Sounds awesome, thank you for getting back and the additional detail. Good luck with the game, sounds like a lot of hard work when into the design and play testing with the 2P experience in mind. Looking forward to the release!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark - I really enjoy this game two player, and I hope you do too. Tom Jolly and I played a bunch of times, just the two of us, throughout development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this was Rahdo's #1 game of 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
I believe this was Rahdo's #1 game of 2016.

You are correct in that belief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Calder
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
Thanks Mark - I really enjoy this game two player, and I hope you do too. Tom Jolly and I played a bunch of times, just the two of us, throughout development.

Played a couple two player games now and really enjoyed it. Great game for 2P, the time played with 2 players during development paid off for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.