Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played NOB yet but I do have substantial CCG experience.

So I've read through all of the cards in the decks and I found two cards I don't really understand.

1) Human: Eco-Activist "requires 2+ wild locations".
However, there is only one wild location in the deck. How do you use this card?

2) Davy Jones' Locker "Tilt one of your animals with the Swim trait to epuip it with one item from your trash at no favor cost". Okay, there are two animals with the swim trait, the beaver and the otter and neither can attach the lone item (Iron Talons) in the deck.

Are these two cards useless or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Human: Eco-Activist "requires 2+ wild locations".
However, there is only one wild location in the deck. How do you use this card?

All the forest locations are considered wild as us despicable humans haven't built on the Forest (yet). The Mystical Burial Ground is just the only location that is specifically a Wild location and not a Forest location. i.e. other wild animals can contribute their rank to bringing this location into play (there aren't any wild animals outside the Forest deck at present).

Quote:
2) Davy Jones' Locker "Tilt one of your animals with the Swim trait to epuip it with one item from your trash at no favor cost". Okay, there are two animals with the swim trait, the beaver and the otter and neither can attach the lone item (Iron Talons) in the deck.

This is an Expandable Card Game rather than a CCG, and as I believe Nickle said "Those cards gotta go somewhere!" (paraphrasing really badly there)
Mix and match your decks to see what you can make. I would suggest looking at two rather fine deck ideas on the Nature of the Beast: City vs. Suburb page but modesty forbids from doing so. Instead I'll recommend you 'Join The Pack' instead.
http://www.nobthegame.com/gameplay/pack.htm

Gah! How many times do I have to edit this thing in order for it to make sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anticole
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm Mark, one of the co-designers. Richard, as usual, has done a fine job. Still, I feel obligated to toss in my two pennies.

All habitats fall under two general classifications: Wild or Civilized. Three of the four starting habitats (Farm, City, Suburb) are considered Civilized. Forest is the only Wild habitat right now. Many of the new habitats we are planning will probably fall under Wild. For example, we are working on a Prairie deck that will join the Forest as a Wild habitat.

Each habitat has specific locations associated with them. But the Wild and Civilized designations give you more flexibility in moving those cards between your decks. The Animal Hospital, for example, can be easily added to the City or the Suburbs deck, not just the Farm deck.

You are also right about Davy Jones' Locker. The pre-built decks play well, but some cards, in an attempt to be fair with distribution, are not in the perfect deck. Those cards will certainly prove more valuable in a more focused, custom deck. For example, Davy Jones' Locker would work great with a more item-heavy deck, Forest or not.

Thanks for trying N.O.B. Let us know what custom decks you come up with!

PS. Animals can transer items to other animals, so an animal with swim could get the Iron Talons and give them to an animal with flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyRyce wrote:

All habitats fall under two general classifications: Wild or Civilized. Three of the four starting habitats (Farm, City, Suburb) are considered Civilized. Forest is the only Wild habitat right now. Many of the new habitats we are planning will probably fall under Wild. For example, we are working on a Prairie deck that will join the Forest as a Wild habitat.

Ah, just found it in the FAQ. Thanks!

JohnnyRyce wrote:

PS. Animals can transer items to other animals, so an animal with swim could get the Iron Talons and give them to an animal with flight.

From reading the rulebook section for the various actions, "equip" seemed synonymous with "play a card underneath" target animal. Since the Iron Talons prevent animals without flight from equipping it, how does the otter get it in the first place? Or are there two levels of equip? As in, you can play item cards on any animal but only those able to "equip" the card can use it? I'm still confused about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anticole
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

From reading the rulebook section for the various actions, "equip" seemed synonymous with "play a card underneath" target animal. Since the Iron Talons prevent animals without flight from equipping it, how does the otter get it in the first place? Or are there two levels of equip? As in, you can play item cards on any animal but only those able to "equip" the card can use it? I'm still confused about this one.

Whoops! I missed that. I should've reviewed the card more closely. blush

You were right the first time... there are NOT two levels of equipping. Equip means playing the card under an untilted animal (or transfering it from another animal). So since the Iron Talons item clearly states that it has to be equiped by an animal with flight, an animal with swim can't equip it and transfer it.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I usually get notified by BGG when the thread is continued. Thanks for catching that, Daniel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.