Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Myth» Forums » Variants

Subject: MYTH: Cemetery Troubles - A micro-adventure for teaching the game to new players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
What you'll need:

Heroes: All heroes start with their brown starting equip

Treasure bag: 15 white / 10 green / 5 blue

Enemies:

- 15+ Shamblers (use melee only during the whole adventure!)
- 02+ Soulless
- 01+ Yardu

Tiles:

- 1x 6x6 campfire tile
- 2x 4x6 forest path tiles
- 1x 12x12 cemetery tile

Tokens:

- red rune token
- web tokens
- merchant token
- 4 quest tokens

Cards:

- Darkness deck of choice (I use the Bones deck)
- Talek Three Dunes merchant card
- Falling Ceiling trap card
- Monster cards for the enemies.

Introduction story:

Your party has agreed to investigate the abandoned cemetery of Reima's End, a small hunting village in the eastern woods near Three Rivers. The old cemetery has always been a place the locals have avoided but during the past week, strange things have started to happen, things people only talk about whispering.
It is noon, as you set out for the 5 mile hike to the cemetery, but the world around you is bathed in grey twighlight. Smoke-colored clouds darken the skies and the majestic trees around you sway and moan in a freezing, bone-chilling wind.
You've travelled for an hour or so when you suddenly hear someone call for help. You follow the voice to a small clearing, weapons ready. A man is desperately trying to fight of Shamblers with a stick...


TILE 1: The Campfire

Tile 1: 6x6 campfire

Enemies: 10 Shamblers

Tokens: Merchant token

Setup: Place the merchant token in a corner farthest a way from the heroes. Place the Shamblers in 2 groups 2 spaces away from the merchant token.

Rules: The Shambler's only priority is to attack the merchant token. The token has 5 vitality. The heroes must defeat all the Shamblers.

Success: Draw the merchant card "Talek Three Dunes". Heroes may choose 2 items for free. The party also gains the red rune stone token and 1 Serendipity. (Talek found the rune stone by accident. It was, what attracted all the Shamblers to him. He wants you to have it.)

Failure: The party gains 1 green item and the red rune stone token.

TILE 2: An Old Forest Road

Tile: 2x 4x6 forest road

Enemies: 1 Soulless

Tokens: 4 Quest tokens

Cards: 1 Falling Ceiling trap

Setup: Place the 2 4x6 to form one, long 4x12. Place the 4 quest tokens on the tile edge farthest away from the heroes. Place the Soulless on the quest tokens.

Rules: The tile edge with the quest tokens acts as a lair (open gate to the cemetery). The lair can't be attacked, but a hero can prevent new enemies from spawning, if he stands on a quest token during the Darkness cycle (he / she is holding the gate shut).
Use the "Falling Ceiling" trap on this combined tile (the storm that was brewing has grown and now branches and trees start to break and fall down). Should the heroes' path be block by the trap, allow them to remove the fallen trees with a NCA with TN:5.
The heroes are successful when either the tile is cleared or all heroes have left the tile via the edge with the quest token.

TILE 3: The Cemetery

Tile: 12x12 cemetery

Enemies: Yardu

Tokens: 4 Quest tokens

Setup: Place the 4 quest tokens in the middle of the tile to form a 2x2. This represents a magic gate / rift, that was opened and that causes the dead to rise. Place Yardu beside the quest tokens.

Rules: As long as the gate / rift is open, new enemies will spawn. The hero with the red rune stone token can try a NCA with TN:6 in any space adjacent to the gate / rift. 3 success are required to close the gate / rift. When the gate / rift is closed and Yardu is defeated, the heroes immediately win (don't bother to clear the tile).
12 
 Thumb up
5.32
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few things. First the merchant seems likely to get killed before a party (especially an inexperienced party trying to figure out how their characters work) can get there. And a fail on the first tile might leave a bad taste in their mouth.

The second tile you kind of introduce a lair but one they can't kill. Wouldn't it be better to introduce a REAL lair so they can learn how they work? And anything lair like plus a trap on the second tile will also be pretty potentially challenging. Of course maybe your group is primed for the challenge.

Third tile introduces a mini-boss but makes him harder than usual to kill by introducing a whole bunch of other monsters spawning from the gate which is again like a supercharged lair. Of course you don't say what spawns from the gate (or from the tile edge on the 2nd tile).

So not bad but when I'm teaching a game like this, I try to make the first game not too easy but very likely to succeed while introducing more and more threat and complexity. This may work great if you have a smart group. And I'm not sure what order to introduce things. When I taught it recently, the first tile just had an easy quest, and a couple of hunting packs. The second one had a trap and hunting packs. The third had a lair and a quest (weaver's needs) and a hunting pack.

The problem with a mini-boss is that you need some skill (the person not the character) and some upgrades which you get in this game mostly from previous tiles. By the third tile they probably still won't have much so I'm concerned about Yardu.

Let us know how it goes though and how your group does. Maybe they'll think it's too easy and do everything without a problem. God knows I'm not an expert. Thanks for posting.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've used this adventure many times now and it works pretty well.

@merchant: You're wrong here. You have serveral HC to kill 10 minions that are hit on a 4+. That's as easy as it gets. The merchant has 5 vitality and the Shamblers hit on 7+... the merchant NEVER died in any playthrough I did. I also disagree, that even if the merchant died it would leave "a bad taste". There were even groups that asked, if they could kill the merchant to loot him...

@lair: Nope. If you approach this in the mind-set that a player will know everything about the game after 1 session, you are doing it wrong. In my experience it is way more important to tie the events on the board to things, players can relate to. A gate, that can be closed is easy. An odd looking undead-head will raise practical questions - what is this, where did it come from, why is it here. This may sound silly at first, but believe me. I've played this game A LOT with strangers and nothing breaks immersion and the flow of the game, like when players start to question the stuff that is happening. There is another reason I don't use "real" lairs. They slow down the game. I don't want new players spending 30min to take down a lair because of some unlucky events. This is the biggest mistake you can make in a teaching game. The whole "new monsters appear thing" is already hard to accept for a lot of people. "What? But we just killed all of them and now there are 5 more?". Then they start to feel like, it is "work" and this sucks the fun out of everything.

@mini-boss: Sorry, but you are wrong here again. Having an epic climax, and bringing a "big" mini out, pushes each and every group. Yardu is very doable even with brown equip. But again, it is NOT about winning or losing. If you have done your job as a teacher right, at this point you have already made it about the experience, the story the people at your table get to tell.
7 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
I've used this adventure many times now and it works pretty well.

@merchant: You're wrong here. You have serveral HC to kill 10 minions that are hit on a 4+. That's as easy as it gets. The merchant has 5 vitality and the Shamblers hit on 7+... the merchant NEVER died in any playthrough I did. I also disagree, that even if the merchant died it would leave "a bad taste". There were even groups that asked, if they could kill the merchant to loot him...

@lair: Nope. If you approach this in the mind-set that a player will know everything about the game after 1 session, you are doing it wrong. In my experience it is way more important to tie the events on the board to things, players can relate to. A gate, that can be closed is easy. An odd looking undead-head will raise practical questions - what is this, where did it come from, why is it here. This may sound silly at first, but believe me. I've played this game A LOT with strangers and nothing breaks immersion and the flow of the game, like when players start to question the stuff that is happening. There is another reason I don't use "real" lairs. They slow down the game. I don't want new players spending 30min to take down a lair because of some unlucky events. This is the biggest mistake you can make in a teaching game. The whole "new monsters appear thing" is already hard to accept for a lot of people. "What? But we just killed all of them and now there are 5 more?". Then they start to feel like, it is "work" and this sucks the fun out of everything.

@mini-boss: Sorry, but you are wrong here again. Having an epic climax, and bringing a "big" mini out, pushes each and every group. Yardu is very doable even with brown equip. But again, it is NOT about winning or losing. If you have done your job as a teacher right, at this point you have already made it about the experience, the story the people at your table get to tell.


You definitely have a different kind of player group than I've seen but whatever works for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
nimmzwei wrote:
I've used this adventure many times now and it works pretty well.

@merchant: You're wrong here. You have serveral HC to kill 10 minions that are hit on a 4+. That's as easy as it gets. The merchant has 5 vitality and the Shamblers hit on 7+... the merchant NEVER died in any playthrough I did. I also disagree, that even if the merchant died it would leave "a bad taste". There were even groups that asked, if they could kill the merchant to loot him...

@lair: Nope. If you approach this in the mind-set that a player will know everything about the game after 1 session, you are doing it wrong. In my experience it is way more important to tie the events on the board to things, players can relate to. A gate, that can be closed is easy. An odd looking undead-head will raise practical questions - what is this, where did it come from, why is it here. This may sound silly at first, but believe me. I've played this game A LOT with strangers and nothing breaks immersion and the flow of the game, like when players start to question the stuff that is happening. There is another reason I don't use "real" lairs. They slow down the game. I don't want new players spending 30min to take down a lair because of some unlucky events. This is the biggest mistake you can make in a teaching game. The whole "new monsters appear thing" is already hard to accept for a lot of people. "What? But we just killed all of them and now there are 5 more?". Then they start to feel like, it is "work" and this sucks the fun out of everything.

@mini-boss: Sorry, but you are wrong here again. Having an epic climax, and bringing a "big" mini out, pushes each and every group. Yardu is very doable even with brown equip. But again, it is NOT about winning or losing. If you have done your job as a teacher right, at this point you have already made it about the experience, the story the people at your table get to tell.


You definitely have a different kind of player group than I've seen but whatever works for you.


Tobi's been playing since the game's release a couple years ago, so I'd consider him to be one of the community's experts when it comes to this game. In addition, he's done a load of enhancements on top of just playing the base game -- I'd argue he's likely the community's top reference when it comes to Myth. That's how I see it anyhow.

I wish I could go back and learn under Tobi's tutelage because his experience with the game, the mechanics, the nuances, are incredible.

I suspect those experiences might make running this scenario much different when compared to others. I know when I've taught people I've struggled.

Personally, I like the gradual introduction of things so I'm more of a fan of his approach outlined in the OP. Other's MMV on this of course.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
@carbon_dragon: Possible for sure. I'm well aware that everyone has their own approach, but I wanted to share mine. It has worked very well with a lot of people. Unfortunately the biggest problem is still, when people ask, if they can buy this game and if "all this" is in it... then you do a inner sigh and start to explain the retail mess that is MYTH (if you want to play this game in german you are basically stuck with the base box atm, it's a real turn-off).

@MM: Thank you for your very, very kind word. TBH (and I don't say this just to appear polite and nice ) YOU are still Mr. MYTH for me. Always will be. This community (and me in it) grew around you and a few other brave souls, that found their way through the dark age of this game. Big, big kudos for that! And I still miss that little Brigand avatar of yours! whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how you've taken the time to work with new people on Myth. It does have (as we all know) that steep learning curve,... But I'll also note that you "get" this game and what it's about,..... It is about immersion and having fun. It has been a daunting task to get the average gamer to understand the way the game is designed to work,..... It is much more like a tabletop strategy game that happens to be on a grid (I personally love that,... Coming from that world back to board games).

I've used a very similar method since the start,.... I remember getting one of the pre-release copies and myself and one other backer slogging through it for that first try,..... I had demos planned at a local convention and I needed something that would work well for newbies. What I ended up with was:

Tile one: "save the chest" quest with Talek Three Dunes
Tile two: trap
Tile three: quest with Yardu on a 12 x 12 with one lair

This is pretty much that same way I do it today. And it usually works pretty well (except for those who insist on having two lairs with Yardu).

I think that If/When a true second edition gets published; that it needs a module that acts much like the video game training missions,.... I remember years and years ago,... When they had the very first FPS games; how I got some basic kit, and basically ran what amounted to an obstacle course with targets to hit,.... It walked you through the mechanics of the game. And that is what Myth 2.0 really needs,.. An introduction module that gradually introduces the different mechanics of the game.

I like where you went with yours,..... I hope that McG can get a real introduction module done when it comes time for that "reprint"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Yes, this game needs a playthrough guide SOO bad. I've started a thread here a while ago, but I just don't have the time (nor the english skills) to see it through.
The basic idea was, that you chain all the quests from the 2.0 content into a story that takes you from Novice to JM. Including setup for trap tiles or tiles with special rules / encounters to introduce allies.

It seems, that the world of MYTH doesn't want new adventurers to explore it and that's a real shame. I know quite a few people that really like this game, but a turned away by:

- Availability
- Missing Translation
- Amount of content
- Amount of exclusive content
- Price
- Amount of work and time to put into it

While MYTH isn't an RPG, it works best, if you treat it like one in respect of game preperation. Once you know the game's mechanics and flow, I encourage everybody to leave the constraints of the quest cards behind and start to tell your own stories. You don't have to write modules for that. Just start with something simple. Let yourself be inspired by the miniatures and artwork, by a book you are reading, a tv-series you are watching - whatever you consider cool and fun atm. Don't think too big. 3 or 4 tiles are enough to make for a fun evening and ensure that you'll most likely see the end of your advenutre and don't have to stop somewhere in the middle.

Building a story: Don't make things complicated. Due to the random elements in the game, strange situations can arise and tiles can take much longer than anticipated. The worst thing that can happen then is for players to loose focus. The more complicated your objective is, the easier it is for players to get lost. Lost players usually means frustated players and we don't want that. So keep it simple. Don't shy away from starting out with the usual suspects: Gathering quests, rescue quests, retrieval quests, kill quests. In fact, those things tend to work pretty well, because everybody with some RPG- or videogame-backround will feel at home instantely. The main reason to bother with a story at all is to give players a non-rule entry point into the game. It also lays the groundwork for a unified "vision" of the game session, something all players agree on and which is essential to build-up motivation, suspense and the "we-are-into-this-together"-feeling. When you tell the story to your group, don't think novel, think movie script. Help them imagine the setting, but don't go into too much detail - leave that for THEIR imagination.
Once you have a basic idea or simply a cool mini-boss you want to fight, start to look through the material you have and put together what you think would fit. From here on you can continue by starting to ask yourself the "w-questions" (what, where, why, when) and follow a simple narrative structure: Your story needs an opening, a middle-part where suspense is build up and a final / climax. 3 parts, 3 tiles. It may seem too obvious and as you get more and more experienced you may stray from that simple rule, but in the beginning I recommend you just stick to it.
You can use the adventure above as a blueprint. Start to make changes (different monsters, different traps, different setting) and follow the guidelines above and I'm pretty sure you'll get some cool and exciting sessions out of it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this - I will likely use it for my groups first game. I am still learning the game - using the new 2.0 cards and scenarios - before unleashing but the quests don't yet feel compelling - without more chaining.

I like the game play but I have tried drawing a random adventure to play out, but i feel that more structure is necessary for this newbie, which is why journeyman does appeal. Having a tried and tested type of approach like this seems better for a first session.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
Thank you for this - I will likely use it for my groups first game. I am still learning the game - using the new 2.0 cards and scenarios - before unleashing but the quests don't yet feel compelling - without more chaining.

I like the game play but I have tried drawing a random adventure to play out, but i feel that more structure is necessary for this newbie, which is why journeyman does appeal. Having a tried and tested type of approach like this seems better for a first session.


You are welcome. Please note though, that this adventure was made for people who already know the game very well and who want to teach it to newcomers. It's NOT a "My first MYTH-game" adventure. Just a reminder! Hope your group has fun playing!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
davidcoleman wrote:
Thank you for this - I will likely use it for my groups first game. I am still learning the game - using the new 2.0 cards and scenarios - before unleashing but the quests don't yet feel compelling - without more chaining.

I like the game play but I have tried drawing a random adventure to play out, but i feel that more structure is necessary for this newbie, which is why journeyman does appeal. Having a tried and tested type of approach like this seems better for a first session.


You are welcome. Please note though, that this adventure was made for people who already know the game very well and who want to teach it to newcomers. It's NOT a "My first MYTH-game" adventure. Just a reminder! Hope your group has fun playing!


Cheers for the reminder.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you for posting this adventure, it's much appreciated. The fact that you've playtested this yourself with new groups and that you've got such praise from MM himself... Makes it a no brainer to try on a new group.

I'll definitely use it to introduce the game to my family soon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:
Yes, thank you for posting this adventure, it's much appreciated. The fact that you've playtested this yourself with new groups and that you've got such praise from MM himself... Makes it a no brainer to try on a new group.

I'll definitely use it to introduce the game to my family soon.


Thanks! Just make sure you go over the adventure at least once before playing so you have the mechanics and the narrative down.

I usually tell a bit more story between tiles, like the merchant from tile 1 sticking around, because he stashed his goods under a bush and would have rather died than fleeing without them.

Also try to make the objetive for each tile very clear to your group and don't be afraid to guide them a bit, if they are uncertain what to do.

If you have any question, just post them here. I'D also love to hear how your session went!

Thanks again!
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I took your advice and did a couple of other scenarios - but this one is coming down the pipeline soon as the guys I introduced the game to really enjoyed it. I am sure that a few rules were interpreted incorrectly along the way, but i don't think it matteredi
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
davidcoleman wrote:
I am sure that a few rules were interpreted incorrectly along the way, but i don't think it matteredi


I'd say, that then you did it as it was intended!

Thanks for trying this little adventure!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.