Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited the lovely Dutch city of Leiden last weekend, and learned quite a bit about its history. Relevant to wargaming, I read about the (second) Siege of Leiden that happened during the Dutch Revolt (80YW).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leiden

One thing I can't understand is why the "Beggar Fleet" of the Prince of Orange, led by Admiral Louis Boisot, needed to flood the fields to break the siege by naval power (and bring relief food to the city). I get that this allowed them to "sail over land" and tip the military balance against the Spanish. But couldn't they have simply done that by sailing up the Oude Rijn river that flows into & around the city?

Obviously not, or else they would've done just that without so much effort & destruction. Perhaps the small, outlying forts held by the Spanish (such as Lammen) would've prevented that kind of channeled naval relief, and the Dutch needed the freedom of movement of entire flooded fields?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/De_ontze...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
One thing I can't understand is why the "Beggar Fleet" of the Prince of Orange, led by Admiral Louis Boisot, needed to flood the fields to break the siege by naval power (and bring relief food to the city). I get that this allowed them to "sail over land" and tip the military balance against the Spanish. But couldn't they have simply done that by sailing up the Oude Rijn river that flows into & around the city?

Obviously not, or else they would've done just that without so much effort & destruction. Perhaps the small, outlying forts held by the Spanish (such as Lammen) would've prevented that kind of channeled naval relief, and the Dutch needed the freedom of movement of entire flooded fields?
I think you underestimate the power of a flooding, both psychologically as logistically.

From that Wikipedia page:
Quote:
A succession of fortified villages now stood in the way of the patriot fleet, and the Dutch Admiral was afraid even now of losing his prize, but the Spaniards, panicked by the rising waters, barely offered any resistance. Every one of their strongholds, now become islands, were deserted by the Royalist troops in their flight, except for the village of Lammen. This was a small fort under the command of Colonel Borgia, and situated about three-quarters of a mile from the walls of Leiden.

This was a formidable obstacle, but fortunately for the Dutch rebels, the Spaniards, adept at land fighting and not amphibious warfare, had despaired of maintaining so unequal a contest against the combined forces of the sea and the veteran Dutch seamen. Accordingly, the Spanish commander Valdez ordered a retreat in the night of October 2, and the army fled, rendered more fearful by a terrible crash they heard from the city, and assumed to be the men of Leiden breaking still another dam upon them. In fact, part of the wall of Leiden, eroded by the sea water, had fallen, leaving the city completely vulnerable to attack, had any chosen to remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess so. Of course it was not an easy decision to sacrifice all of their own land to expel the Spanish. I think the part I missed was that there was a succession of fortified towns along the river that could be bypassed by flooding the fields. And, as you point out, there was the significant bonus afforded by demoralized defenders (Royalists).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this gave a whole new meaning to "flushing the enemies out"! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
The Game's About Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay attention, it's the Siege of Leiden we are talking about not the Siege of Vlissingen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It would have been quite easy to deny access along one river (and it's not a big river) with some well placed fortresses. Flooding the countryside gave more avenues of approach and so tied up more Spanish troops.

Interestingly, Philip II had considered flooding the rebellious provinces but decided against it as being too harsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody expects the Dutch Flood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Best thing, of course, celebrating the whole lifting of the siege this weekend. Herring, white bread and hutspot!

And a beer perhaps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André W.
Netherlands
Weert
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being born in Leiden, might I suggest you take a look at these animations from museum 'De Lakenhal' in Leiden:

The first one shows the advance of the 'Watergeuzen' from Rotterdam to Leiden:

https://vimeo.com/91706388

The second one is all about history: Protestants, Catholics, Spanish suppression, Famine (Hongersnood), and the third of october of course. Included is another presentation of the advance of the 'Geuzen'

https://vimeo.com/91851703

Voice-overs are in dutch language
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.