Subject: Starting a new Operations Segment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am part way though a game and all my subs are in Searched boxes. At the start of the new Operations Segment, I replace my submarines back into the Sea Area from the Searched Box.

Does this count as entering an Area and so I have to draw the appropriate number of Event cards? Or do I only draw when I now move into an adjacent area or stay in the area on patrol?

I have assumed the latter, as the Searched Box is not a separate geographical area, but a convenient holder to place submarines once you have finished using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
To continue your patrol, you must draw event cards for "Patrol". This is to simulate the random events that are attracted to your boat while you've been hanging around the area attacking ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, are you saying that each submarine draws the number of Patrolling Event cards just for being placed back into the Sea Area from the Searched Box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polydor wrote:
So, are you saying that each submarine draws the number of Patrolling Event cards just for being placed back into the Sea Area from the Searched Box?

Yep - that's right. In part, it's a mechanism to prevent you from just parking a sub in a patrol zone and running through a long string of contacts until you find "the perfect convoy" to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Sorry to be still pursuing this, but the rules don't seem to support your interpretation.

Under Resetting the Campaign Map the rules state:

"Move submarines out of the Searched boxes and into their areas on the Campaign Map.

Return to the start of the Strategic Segment."

So, the subs begin back on the map at the end of the Refit Segment and so if in the Operations Segment I move my sub from the Area directly into the Port that adjoins the Sea Area, I won't draw any Event cards. If I stay put and Patrol, I will draw the appropriate number of Event cards for patrolling and if I move to the next Area, I will draw the correct number of Event cards for Moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're already on the same page, just talking about different cases... I'll elaborate.

So as you move your sub back from the Search box to the Sea Zone (as per Resetting the Campaign Map), you proceed back to the top of the Strategic Segment - note that there is no sub movement in this phase.

From there, you restart the Operations Segment. In terms of sub movement, you have a couple choices for your subs already at sea:
1. Remain in that zone and reroll for contacts
2. Transit to a new zone (including special missions)
3. Return directly to port (if you are already adjacent to a port)

For 1 & 2, you need to draw Event cards:
"When a moving Submarine crosses a line into a new Area, including moving from a Port box to an adjacent Area, or entering a Special Mission
box, draw and resolve the number of “Moving” Event cards shown on the Contact Chart for Moving into the Area." -- pg.13

For 3, you do not draw Event cards:
"A Submarine must end movement when it enters a Port box." -- pg.13

So please note that the reason you DO NOT draw Event cards for #3 is that because there are no Draw Event cards listed on the Port boxes AND that the rules do not tell you to do so either. Please note that if you did transit multiple zones to reach Port, you would draw Event cards along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. Sorry for the confusion, we are singing from the same hymn sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.