6 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Setting up first game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shaun getty

New York
msg tools
(Not sure if I am posting in right forum)

I am going to be setting up my first campaign, despite owning the game and all of the expansions released minus the flower knight. I never actually sat down to play the game, I bought the collection on wimp a long with a bunch of pinups form someone who had zero interest in once they got order from the KS. And pick up few items off eBay and found out its close to imposable to find any of the out print stuff from KD store. So I have had most of the stuff for close to year now, and spent that time working on painting and modeling skimming the books for painting ideas and modeling references. Which worked out as didn’t read too much and thus didn’t spoil most of content. Once the outrage dies down from reading the fact I had the game for lengthily amount time and never played I have a few questions, tho in my defense my work takes me away for extend periods of time so I can use that as excuse on why I haven’t play sooner.

Reading the news on KD tumbler about the next upcoming KS, with him flat out saying other than the date there will be no updates on what’s being released, there little to no point asking about what coming next. But hope the flower knight is offer so I can complete my collection.

What is the lantern festival expansion was it released? Or is just concept that will be released at later date, and is it only for KS backed or might it be showing up on the KD store?

On to topic of setting up the game it self, semi successfully in gathering some people to join in, however is it ideal to venture at it alone? Can the game be left and picked up at later date, sometimes I am require to leave without much notice and return later time in date, so will going long periods of time without playing effect the flow of the game?

From those you that have played the game, when is the ideal time to add the expansions, best to get some play thru in before adding more content? I don’t see core game as something that will lose it replay value after one or 2 try’s. I assuming it will take longer than to figure it out fully and develop plan for actually defeating the monsters.

Some of pinups came with promo cards and others came with gear cards and events etc., how do you tell which one’s that are meant for gameplay and which one is optional promo gear that’s unbalanced and should be avoided.

Other than the rule update on the KD site is there any changes to rules that I should be aware of?

I have read on here and other places that Lion God is extremely difficult and should be held off until future up dates, is just internet consensus that it to hard given the current edition of things, or does it really need to be rebalanced. Or something that new player shouldn’t concern himself with.

On other general advice and tips for running the game? I read over a few articles here trying to avoid topics that may influence my play style as I rather find out the hard way and lose few times than jump right and have leg up. So like general care tips and ways to protect the cards and tokens etc., I plan on reaching out Wrymwood and seeing if can build me something for gear grids and storage, the plastic works, but rather have something sturdier and presentable when storing the game.

Last question, when storing everything is best, to keep each expansions separate and only add the content when using? Any good way of knowing which is which so it can be removed when not using the expansion? Keeping each one out of core game content and shuffling it in when deciding to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Lantern Festival is still TBA. We are all waiting for an announcement that is scheduled end of September/early October.
The author's words on the subject were that he hopes to be 99.99999% done with the content of the first KS before launching the second KS.

It should be available for everyone when it's launched (KS backers first, a couple of weeks later on sale on website usually).

Going long periods without playing does not affect the game in any way, except that maybe you may forgot the awesome strategies you thought about last fight and forgot to annotate (for instance, you forgot again to bring Bone Darts against White Lion and now Ground Fighting is annihilating you).

My suggestion for adding expansions is to add them when you know enough of the base game. So, roughly, complete a full campaign without expansions and then go on adding them at your leisure.

If you happen to enjoy the game, the replayability is near endless for a guy with a full time job (ie. I will die before I tried out everything enough to say that I'm bored by every possible combination of campaigns and expansions). Of course, if some aspects of the game nag you to any degree, you can get your fill faster.

You can distinguish Promo gear because of a "Pr" back, and because it usually has no recipe to be done, it is just "there". Additional Settlement Events are only Promo contents and scenarios.

Currently, version 1.31 of the game + 1.4 Lantern Hoard and 1.4 Furious Scrag is the "official" version of the game.

Lion God is extremely hard and is definitely more difficult that the final boss of the base campaign, but L1 is not impossible. I also read somewhere on this forum that a designed said that DBK L3 is impossible with current gear... I never beat it up to now, but I managed to hunt it a couple of times, and while it was terrifying (damn Burrow!), it did not FEEL impossible - you keep thinking that with a couple lucky rolls more or with another gear in that slot you would kill it. L2 Lion God I never tried, and I will probably try it for giggles until I can get more powerful.

Only tip: run in as blind as you can, and treat population as another (valuable) resource that you need to micromanage.

With a few exceptions, all cards come with dividers and even if you mix the cards together, there is "always" (Gorm Climate does not have it, but since it is called "Gorm" climate, it is not difficult to guess from which expansion it comes) a label in the upper left corner that identifies the expansion of the card. I personally mix everything together and play with it then, when I draw a card from an expansion I am not currently playing, I simply discard it and draw another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shaun getty

New York
msg tools
Ok thanks for the feedback.

Haven't looked at the cards or even opened the packs in that came with the expansions so wasn't aware they were labeled like that. Thats good to know moving forward.

The next steep I am planing on taking is figuring out a way sleeve the cards and tokens to make sure they don't get damaged. Seeing how the game isn't a common printed item finding a replacement would close to impossible. Problem is there odd shaped, and while I thought about laminating them, the risk of damaging is to high.

Does anyone have any solutions for ways to sleeve them?

I am assuming all of higher level monsters and nemesis are more difficult than the lower level ones, so finding the right combo and gear and factoring the will of the dice gods would make things appear harder than they should be. The main I have learned form building and painting and reading bits and pieces and seeing clips of videos is the game is designed to be challenging and in the monster advantage not the player. Which is part of the draw of it most games are only hard or challenging for few levels than it shift to non challenging and more of just roll dices and move on to next thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one non challenging here is the final boss.

(Actually, I lost to it a couple of times, including the very first time I met it in LY25).

There is a thread on sleeving somewhere here you can search for, and there is a full article on vibrantlantern.com that says the same things (of the first few replies of the thread, at least).

I personally sleeved only cards and settlement events: my rationale is that I want to sleeve only what I shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shaun03 wrote:

http://vibrantlantern.com/extra/organize/ This is a good resource for sleeving advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
Shaun03 wrote:

http://vibrantlantern.com/extra/organize/ This is a good resource for sleeving advise.

Awesome, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.