Subject: Very general questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Fusetti
Italy
Turate
flag msg tools
mb
First of all, I don't own the game but I'm going to pledge the 2nd edition, since I've been interested in it for a long time. I like the gameplay, the immersive experience and the visual grandeur.

What I don't understand is how to pledge the very product I'd love to get. When I look at the old Kickstarter page, I find the overwhelming amount of different pledges extremely confusing... Plus, everybody on the Internet is speaking of a "$400 game" (which I'm more or less prepared to invest), but the standard game pledge was $100 if I'm not wrong. So what I'm trying to ask, since I don't want to find myself unprepared on November 25th (assuming the game and pledges will be similar), is someone who's willing to explain the differences between the various editions, and what's the best edition one could get (I'm not talking about the super limited collectors only stuff that came for like $1000-5000).

I'd also love it if you could spend a couple of words on how expansions in this game works, since they are a lot, and don't look like game expansions I'm used to in other more "conventional" board games.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately for everyone who did not participate on the furst KD kickstarter, everything then was very underpriced. The pledge for the base game was $100. After the KS ended and the game was shipped, the price for the base only went up to $400 (the very same base game).
We do not know yet what will be the price for the base game on the new KS. But I don't believe they will be any closer to the prices on the first (I'd like them to be, but not optimistic about that...)

About expansions: there are currently 11 playable expansions. (Not including Lantern Festival which was not shipped yet)
There are 3 different kinds of expansions:
1. Small - a new monster and some other stuff
2. Medium - new medium monster, new armors and some other stuff
3. Big - new giant monster, new armors, 2 of them have a new campaign...
The biggest of the expansions should cost around $100 in the new KS.

I would recommend getting the base game, and a few expansions depending on how much you can spend for them. There are many threads about which expansiona you should get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess there will be a lot of incremental pledges, but I suppose that they will be tree-structured (so that next pledge levels will give you all in the previous level plus something else) and there will be mainly one for new players that will need everything and one for existing players that will only need upgrades.

On top of that, I also suppose that additional content will be added for everyone by just adding some $$ to the pledge level you chose, but this is only if it goes like the previous one.

Original KS prices were like that because, at first, KD:M box should have been like one (very) packed Settlers of Catan box in size, then after a lot of pledges and stretch goals hit, the size of the game exploded and went to be what it actually is.

Now the game is basically a fully defined product with a MSRP of $400, so any calculation should be done over that target price. Will there be a widespread discount? Discount from that amount. Will there be a more substantial, early bird discount? It still will be a discount from $400.

About how expansions work, they simply inject into the game.
The base game is:
- you play a campaign focused on 25 turns called "lantern years" (it can be a lot shorter or longer, though).
- each LY is focused to be a full gaming session, 60 to 120 in length with notable exceptions here and tehre.
- one LY consists in Settlement phase (upgrade your settlement/craft your gear/play some events), Hunt phase (you search for the quarry you are hunting, basically you draw events until you get to it or you miss it completely) and Showdown phase (2/3 of the full LY duration, you fight the quarry). "Winning" the hunt gives you resources to spend in the next Settlement phase.
- every now and then, you will go against a Nemesis that tries to do bad things to your settlement instead to hunt a quarry. These are "boss fights" and their mechanics are unique to the Nemesis Monster.

Now, there are expansions that add or substitute quarries (Gorm, Spidicules, Dung Beetle Knight, Lion God), that add or substitute Nemesis Monsters (Manhunter, Lion Knight, Slenderman), that give you an alternate campaign mode (a "story") OR can be used as a quarry in the usual campaign mode (Flower Knight, Sunstalker and Dragon King) - in one case there is an expansion that just allows you to craft a very high-end gear set (Green Knight Armor). In another case, there is a Special Terrain that can become a Special Showdown (Lonely Tree).
When you add a quarry, you get new Settlement Locations related to that quarry, new resources and new gear to craft with these resources. There are new upgrades to your Settlement and Survivors that synergize with that quarry and can create new combinations with existing ones.

When you add a Nemesis, you basically add some events in some LY that will bring you to fight a new Nemesis at some point. Nemesis Monsters are mini-boss level and will test your mettle a lot (if you add too many of them, you risk of being destroyed by the sheer number of mini-bosses you fight in sequence), expansion Nemesis Monsters have very good rewards in some form or some other.

Each expansion has its own flavor and adds it to the game, so I am done discussing them in a general way . Anyway, be wary that there is a theme to any expansion (the first example you may encounter playing: if you hunt a White Lion, you are tracking a beast that will try to isolate and kill you one at a time, reacting explicitly against the attacker, usually with violence and concentrated damage. If you in turn hunt a Gorm, it feels like a cavemen hunting party going against a Mammoth, where the beast will mainly react to being damaged in a couple of (predictable) ways, will have completely different weak spots and will usually try to hit more at a time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
lexpweller wrote:
First of all, I don't own the game but I'm going to pledge the 2nd edition, since I've been interested in it for a long time. I like the gameplay, the immersive experience and the visual grandeur.

What I don't understand is how to pledge the very product I'd love to get. When I look at the old Kickstarter page, I find the overwhelming amount of different pledges extremely confusing... Plus, everybody on the Internet is speaking of a "$400 game" (which I'm more or less prepared to invest), but the standard game pledge was $100 if I'm not wrong. So what I'm trying to ask, since I don't want to find myself unprepared on November 25th (assuming the game and pledges will be similar), is someone who's willing to explain the differences between the various editions, and what's the best edition one could get (I'm not talking about the super limited collectors only stuff that came for like $1000-5000).

I'd also love it if you could spend a couple of words on how expansions in this game works, since they are a lot, and don't look like game expansions I'm used to in other more "conventional" board games.

Thank you!

I think everyone else has told you, rather succinctly, everything you need to know. My 2c, I predicted the Dragon King Expansion to sell out first which is why I got it in the May sale just before it sold out and even though it busted my wallet. I'd gun for that expansion first, it should get a reprint and hopefully at the same time as the KD KS2, the others look like they'll always be in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Fusetti
Italy
Turate
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you guys, as always I got more info than I can digest - which is great. I really hope the new KS pledges will be reasonable, and to manage to get my hands on a favorable launch special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
My advice to new folks would be buy the expansions with the most fun fights--most of your play time is spent in battle, so make sure you're having a good time there.

According to this poll https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1577679/poll-your-favorite-..., a significant number of folks think the Flower Knight is the most fun expansion quarry to fight and the Slenderman is the most fun expansion nemesis to fight.

Note that the Spidicules is also a fairly popular expansion fight, as is the Dung Beetle Knight. Both are a little more popular than the Sunstalker fight and a lot more popular than the Gorm fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.