A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of the actions - need clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitriy Melchinskiy
msg tools
mb
Hi folks,

I'm not sure, that I correctly understand the order of the action. Could you please take a look at the questions below and provide your opinion?

1. First question: Rob Stark attacking Areo Hotah (military challenge) and win the challenge (with more than 4 SRT + it's unopposed challenge, so Hotah is still standing). As a claim of the military challenge, Hotah should be killed. What should happen and in which order?
a) Hotah is killed and should be placed into the dead pile (so, Hotah's response can't be used)?
b) Hotah is killed, but before going to the dead pile, his response: "kneel Hotah, to kill any character in the play" can be used)?

2. Second question: Rob Stark attacking Areo Hotah (Hotah has duplicate) and win the challenge. Does it mean, that according to the claim affect, Hotah's duplicate should be discarded, and after that, Rob's ability can kill Hotah second time? If I'm not mistaking, the same character can't be killed twice during the one challenge???

3. Third question: Bron (with deathly) keyword attacking Areo Hotah (Hotah has duplicate) and win the challenge. Does it mean, that according to the claim affect, Hotah's duplicate should be discarded, and after that, according to the deathly, Hotah should be killed??? The same question, as in the second question: is it possible, that the same character can be killed twice during the one challenge???

Thanks,
Dmitriy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:

1. Determine winner of challenge
2. Challenge result is implemented
3. Reward for unopposed challenge is awarded
4. Renown is awarded
5. Resolve Deadly

Answer 1:
You never attack a character. You attack a player.

Please give the text of characters. There are several versions of Areo Hotah. I assume you mean the one from Princes of the Sun. (Response: After you lose a challenge by 4 or more total STR, kneel Areo Hotah to choose and kill 1 character.)

This response occurs during step 1 above, before the result in step 2 (kill a character) is implemented.

Answer 2:

You can't kill the same character twice from the *result* of a challenge, however this is two different ways of killing a character. In Step 1 above (Determine Winner) you trigger Robb's ability, and in response Areo discards his duplicate to remain in play. In step 2 the challenge result is implemented, and he is killed.

Answer 3:

Deadly only kills one opposing character who participated in the challenge.

You declare a military challenge against your opponent with Robb Stark. They defend with Areo Hotah (duplicate). In step 2, they must choose a character to kill. If they choose Areo, they can then discard the duplicate to save him. However, in step 5, the deadly keyword comes into play, and they must discard Areo.

If they had chosen not to defend, then deadly doesn't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Melchinskiy
msg tools
mb
MerricB wrote:
Answer 3:

Deadly only kills one opposing character who participated in the challenge.

You declare a military challenge against your opponent with Robb Stark. They defend with Areo Hotah (duplicate). In step 2, they must choose a character to kill. If they choose Areo, they can then discard the duplicate to save him. However, in step 5, the deadly keyword comes into play, and they must discard Areo.

Is it typo, that I should discard it? Duplicate was already discarded, so I guess, character should be killed as part of the deathly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Melchinskiy
msg tools
mb
Thank you for your explanation. It's very helpful for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.