Subject: Moving the fellowship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the strategy 101 guide posted on the ares website (it's quite good by the way).

One piece of advice I'm struggling with: the guide suggests that as a general rule, the FP should move the fellowship at least once or twice every turn so long as there are three (3) or fewer eyes / SP dice in the hunt box.

Really? All things being equal, I'm loathe to move the fellowship if there are any more than two (2) eyes / SP dice in the hunt box. And I almost never move the fellowship a second time in the same turn (unless there's only one (1) eye / SP die in the hunt box and circumstances otherwise permit or demand it).

What are folks' thoughts on this? Am I being too cautious in moving the Fellowship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are. Against a competent Shadow player, you will be too slow with only 1 move per turn. That means 15 turns to Mt Doom.

Last game I won militarily in turn 6. Admittedly that is rare, but a good Shadow player can normally win the game in turn 10-12, even against strong FP opposition.

EDIT: All assuming the Shadow goes for a strong military game. If he goes all out on corruption, going slow is safer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this goes hand-in-hand with using the companions to soak up hunt damage. (Something else the guide suggested). I had generally used most of them to activate nations and help defend strongholds.

But by moving slowly I should add that I almost never have to stop and heal the Fellowship. There's something to be said for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
The game is usually somewhat more brutal than the books. It's not uncommon for almost all of the companions to be eliminated and much of Middle Earth to be razed when the ring is dunked. Extra trauma for poor Frodo who probably has to take some CoC-esque sanity checks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, book (and film) Sauron is rubbish at this game. Fellowship get to the Crack of Doom and the Shadow hasn't won a single victory point; instead he loses 2 VPs (Orthanc) and all his minions before the final battle at Morannon. The FP have lost Boromir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Sauron almost won, with only Gollum's reveal ability saving the Free People's bacon. He was just playing a corruption game, not a military one. The Free were just lucky with that last tile draw.

And he did have a VP (Dale) and a minion left (the Mouth of Sauron).

Don't badmouth the Dark Lord!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mouth of Sauron got his head chopped off by Aragorn during a parley before the battle started (a war crime if ever I saw one!)

Did the Big S actually get Dale?

I reckon that last tile was a 1 which Gollum knocked down to a 0 by revealing (just after The Ring Is Mine!). And the Fellowship needn't have bothered getting on the Mordor track, they were clearly doing well enough on the military side...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:

Did the Big S actually get Dale?

Yes. Go read the appendixes at the end of Return of the King (in an edition which entails them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:
The Mouth of Sauron got his head chopped off by Aragorn during a parley before the battle started (a war crime if ever I saw one!)

That didn't happen in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pippin snd Merry were taken as losses, but survived with their special abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:

And he did have a VP (Dale) and a minion left (the Mouth of Sauron).

Didn't Saruman have control of the VP in the Shire too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this was after Orthanc was "freed", right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.