Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Concetta
United States
Basking Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is colorblind and has some difficulty with the ships. Heck, I am not colorblind and it is a bit of a challenge for me. Now, I know this is so not a deal breaker - it is easy enough deal with this. However, I would love to replace them.

Anyone find anything fun to substitute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Look here

Although Id suggest simply putting a mark or symbol on each color ships sail with a paint pen or something. Basic shapes like a diamond, filled circle, star, circle with a dot in the middle, etc could probably be done.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's no actual difference between the smaller and bigger ships in the game, right? If you play 2p, one could use two big ships and one two small ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Concetta
United States
Basking Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
There's no actual difference between the smaller and bigger ships in the game, right? If you play 2p, one could use two big ships and one two small ones.

There is a need to segregate which whales are on which ship which is why the sizes. Although there may be a different way to keep track of that.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekChaCha wrote:
My son is colorblind and has some difficulty with the ships. Heck, I am not colorblind and it is a bit of a challenge for me. Now, I know this is so not a deal breaker - it is easy enough deal with this. However, I would love to replace them.

If you would like, I'll 3d print you ships to use that are distinct. No charge. There is no reason for anyone to not fully enjoy the game and I'd love to help out!

Thanks,
Enoch

*PM if interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm sure color blindness doesn't help but i will say that everyone in my game group really struggles with the boat colors. the green and the blue are really brutal to tell apart. if you have the expansion I think the four best colors to play with are orange, yellow, blue & black. the contrast is just a bit better.

the painting symbols idea is a really good one. i think i will do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Concetta
United States
Basking Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enochwright wrote:
GeekChaCha wrote:

If you would like, I'll 3d print you ships to use that are distinct. No charge. There is no reason for anyone to not fully enjoy the game and I'd love to help out!

Thanks,
Enoch

*PM if interested.

How generous! While this is a very attractive offer, the game is not unplayable so we are good whether we change the ships or not. It is easy enough to "fix" them or ask for help while playing.

Some games that are not colorblind friendly require more "hidden behavior" and asking for assistance will give away your hand. This is defintely not the case with New Bedford.

I think I am going to keep your offer in my back pocket for when I find a real problem.

For New Bedford, I am just looking for a little bling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enoch Wright Great board gamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
Enoch Wright Great board gamer

I appreciate that!

The offer is open to anyone that has problems with the game (or any game really) due to colorblindness or a disability. If there is anything I can do, just let me know. That includes 3d printables, recolored cards/boards, card holders, enlarged components, etc. There is no reason for not everyone to be able to enjoy this great hobby!

Thanks,

Enoch

*edited: to add cost... none!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.