Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » General

Subject: Pimp my Underdark rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
It would be great if the game board looked like...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/87/74/89/8774...

Can somebody with the chops make a new Underdark to play this game on please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tham
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If this was the game board, I'd buy the game!

I love drow, but damn..that board..ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite the time-intensive endeavor, even for a seasoned designer.

Once you play, you do start to see how functional the board is and how function had to trump some of the design choices. I agree, the board could be more casually compelling, but it really functions well.

It's the tiny site markers I can't stand. I don't have particularly big hands and even then they're hard to manipulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that would be unreadable as a game board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a designer, but I thought about doing something like this. It would be really tough.

The pic you linked is a city, not the entire region of the underdark. I haven't actually been able to find very many complete maps of the underdark, but the ones I have seen are more like topographical maps to denote the depths of various cavern regions. And then it would also be tough to arrange the different circles on the board in any kind of realistic way, because some represent tiny cities and some represent large regions, so the sense of scale is all wonky. Some locations are way closer together on the real map, but you still need the spaces between the locations.

I wasn't able to make any headway with a better design, but I would gladly buy or print one if someone made a better one. The current map is so ugly that I'm not even buying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
werekin wrote:
It would be great if the game board looked like...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/87/74/89/8774...

Can somebody with the chops make a new Underdark to play this game on please.

This map would be perfect for my Underdark El Grande...

Dark elves in Menzoberranzan --- a re-theme game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Masouras
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

This is the Lords of Waterdeep game board. It is not fat off from the image you linked, so it is doable. And I think it would be add to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masouras wrote:

This is the Lords of Waterdeep game board. It is not fat off from the image you linked, so it is doable. And I think it would be add to the game.

I love the Waterdeep board, but you can't really do that kind of street-level city map style for this game, which depicts the entire "country" of the Underdark. That pic is a map of the city of Menzobarranzan, which is represented by a single circle on the TotU board. You need to be way more zoomed out for this game.

Here's a reprentation of the entire underdark. Traditional old-timey map characteristics a la Tolkien's hand-drawn maps would be tough to do since everything is underground and at different depths which can overlap each other when viewed from above.

Edit: OK, maybe this map is zoomed out a bit too much. I think Tyrants takes place in the northwestern portion of this map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
The game board is 100% functional. Looks like shit though. I bought a second hand copy at discount somebody flipped on a Facebook group.

The area represented on the game board represents a section of the Sword Coast. I cannot comment on whether the game board location names and position can all be considered accurate in the first place. The functional layout looks like it was made through being open to interpretation. It must be based on something considered canon otherwise it wouldn't be publishable.

Map based artwork needs a heck of a lot of work to allow it to be developed into functional board game player aids. This is why most fantasy artists aren't knocking out board designs on a regular basis. It would be something of a project between designer and artist to get something like this right. Man it would look sweet on the table though done right!

Waterdeep custom meeples seem like a good bet to replace the nasty fiddley plastic pawns. You'd need a couple of packets though I reckon. Plus some other generic meeples for the independent game pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the board looks so great, but it's easy to see what's going on everywhere on the board mid-game, and that's more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
My favourite new podcast described the game as sterile. I hope that was only the matter of it's crappy aesthetics being brought into question. It wasn't specified.

I've made the move to replace the horrid plastic components with DnDeeples!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.