Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

The Kickstarter for Druids is live as of now until Friday night, October 7th. Give it a look and see if it's something you're interested in for this Christmas. Yes, you'll have the game by Christmas.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312152563/druids-a-bea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tich
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the head's up. Backed the project this morning!

I played a couple games of this on the Print and Play available here on BGG, and I must say, there's more to this one than meets the eye.

Being able to move the terrain tiles creates an ever-changing landscape that can be your undoing if you don't stay vigilant. Movement may seem restricted at first, but if you utilize the terrain to your advantage, you can be across the board in just a few turns. The 'teleportation' Clouds and the River 'double movement' allow for some clever maneuvers.

Then there's the animal powers, which give you special movement opportunities based on the power stone you collect. These are powerful items, but can only be used one time. I like the balance here, and since you need to have a powerstone on your druid if you want to take over the enemy temple (win condition), you have to decide if you want to keep the stone and try to cross the map, or if you want to sneak attack one of the other player's druids...AMAZING!

Keep it up, Grant! I've been loving your designs, but more importantly your contributions to the community - answering EVERY question that comes up and offering strategy guides and insights to help players fully experience your work. I felt like a pledge was the least I could do!

I have to ask - will my copy of Farmageddon and Hocus also fit in the Druids box? You have five minutes to respond (should be more than enough time)...lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugmouse wrote:
Thanks for the head's up. Backed the project this morning!

I played a couple games of this on the Print and Play available here on BGG, and I must say, there's more to this one than meets the eye.

Being able to move the terrain tiles creates an ever-changing landscape that can be your undoing if you don't stay vigilant. Movement may seem restricted at first, but if you utilize the terrain to your advantage, you can be across the board in just a few turns. The 'teleportation' Clouds and the River 'double movement' allow for some clever maneuvers.

Then there's the animal powers, which give you special movement opportunities based on the power stone you collect. These are powerful items, but can only be used one time. I like the balance here, and since you need to have a powerstone on your druid if you want to take over the enemy temple (win condition), you have to decide if you want to keep the stone and try to cross the map, or if you want to sneak attack one of the other player's druids...AMAZING!

Keep it up, Grant! I've been loving your designs, but more importantly your contributions to the community - answering EVERY question that comes up and offering strategy guides and insights to help players fully experience your work. I felt like a pledge was the least I could do!

I have to ask - will my copy of Farmageddon and Hocus also fit in the Druids box? You have five minutes to respond (should be more than enough time)...lol

Thank you for the kind words and support!!! Super excited to read that.

Farmageddon and Hocus don't fit in the Druids box. But, Druids does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tich
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
4 minutes!

The Druids box looked like it might have enough space to create a Rodiek Survival Kit, so I just threw it out there. I'll just keep using my cargo short pockets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No shipment to Europe?

Man, what a bummer...cry
Wanted this game as soon as I saw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exoow wrote:
No shipment to Europe?

Man, what a bummer...cry

Sorry. Ultimately, as it is such small quantities and won't be in retail, I don't really have a way to reduce the price. This means Europeans would need to pay Vat and the full price of shipping. Plus, there isn't much leeway for me on this project budget wise, which means I can't really afford shipping replacements to Europe, or eating the cost for when folks don't go to the post to pick up the game. Basically, if is unfortunately, but I cannot charge you $90, or take on the customer service costs, for such a small project.

It is lame. Sorry. But, small print run. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wales
United Kingdom
Kings Lynn
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
Exoow wrote:
No shipment to Europe?

Man, what a bummer...cry

Sorry. Ultimately, as it is such small quantities and won't be in retail, I don't really have a way to reduce the price. This means Europeans would need to pay Vat and the full price of shipping. Plus, there isn't much leeway for me on this project budget wise, which means I can't really afford shipping replacements to Europe, or eating the cost for when folks don't go to the post to pick up the game. Basically, if is unfortunately, but I cannot charge you $90, or take on the customer service costs, for such a small project.

I was hoping to back this too, but not with no shipping to the UK. Bit surprised. It could have been done. I only realised when it asked for location in the pledge link.

I honestly think that is something you may want to look into, I think you would be pleasantly surprised by how many European backers you would have backed this and are willing to pay postage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonkev wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
Exoow wrote:
No shipment to Europe?

Man, what a bummer...cry

I was hoping to back this too, but not with no shipping to the UK. Bit surprised. It could have been done. I only realised when it asked for location in the pledge link.

I honestly think that is something you may want to look into, I think you would be pleasantly surprised by how many European backers you would have backed this and are willing to pay postage!

Hi Kevin --

I know very well I'd receive several European backers. In fact, I would predict up to a quarter of my backers would be European.

Unfortunately, the international shipping arrangements that allow me to do this in a cost effective manner require a scale that this project doesn't have. Furthermore, these are typically long term arrangements based on the product's continued sales in retail and so forth.

This version of Druids will not be at retail. As there are only a few hundred, the numbers don't quite make financial sense to send 10 to the UK, have 15 more in Europe for the EU, 10 in Japan, 5 in China, etc.

We're actually doing quite a bit of research on this now for Solstice and it is not a simple problem to solve.

I realize this is frustrating, and I'm sorry. I'm not willing to sell the game for $80 to get it to Europe -- it's robbery (plus you'd have to pay VAT). And, I don't have costs baked in for international customer support. This is just one of those things.

Sorry :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
dragonkev wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
Exoow wrote:
No shipment to Europe?

Man, what a bummer...cry

Hi Kevin --

I know very well I'd receive several European backers. In fact, I would predict up to a quarter of my backers would be European.

Unfortunately, the international shipping arrangements that allow me to do this in a cost effective manner require a scale that this project doesn't have. Furthermore, these are typically long term arrangements based on the product's continued sales in retail and so forth.

This version of Druids will not be at retail. As there are only a few hundred, the numbers don't quite make financial sense to send 10 to the UK, have 15 more in Europe for the EU, 10 in Japan, 5 in China, etc.

We're actually doing quite a bit of research on this now for Solstice and it is not a simple problem to solve.

I realize this is frustrating, and I'm sorry. I'm not willing to sell the game for $80 to get it to Europe -- it's robbery (plus you'd have to pay VAT). And, I don't have costs baked in for international customer support. This is just one of those things.

Sorry :/

I've been helping out with Grant on this research, and for Druids in particular, there are a few problems. First and foremost is simply volume - getting one of the fulfillment companies to help out with this isn't really going to work, because we'd be talking about a few dozen copies, most likely. And without that, as Grant says, you'd be paying VAT on top of the expensive postage. Plus, there's the problem of copies going missing in transit, and they're hard to replace for a project like this.

Solstice has a different set of issues in using fulfillment partners for international backers, since as a small card game, we run into some problems with shipping price breaks that make things more expensive to use services in a lot of cases. We're still looking into possibilities there, but it's a difficult problem in general, especially for smaller games (both in physical size as well as print run).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
This version of Druids will not be at retail. As there are only a few hundred

This makes me want the game even more.
I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exoow wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
This version of Druids will not be at retail. As there are only a few hundred

This makes me want the game even more.
I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

So, if this version is well received, I hope to make a traditionally published version. It won't be wood, but I'd like to do something special still.

That one will be worldwide, if it happens. But, that's a maybe 2017/2018 thing. Maybe.

I'm sorry :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me how much the game weighs please? (If possible with and without the packaging).

Maybe I can get it deliverd to far acquaintances but they still need to get it to Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exoow wrote:
Can you tell me how much the game weighs please? (If possible with and without the packaging).

Maybe I can get it deliverd to far acquaintances but they still need to get it to Europe.

Hi, I'm not ignoring you. I don't have a scale, and I had to get to work early this morning before the mail center opened so I couldn't weigh it. I'll do so in the morning, Saturday, and report back to you. I would guess it's about 1 lb?

grant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the heads up, looking forward to a definite answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exoow wrote:
Cool, thanks for the heads up, looking forward to a definite answer.

So, I'm very tickled. Just went and weighed it, and it came in as 1 pound 1 ounce. I was 1 ounce off!

Due to the nature of the materials (wood), I would go with 1 pound 2 ounces just to be safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.