Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was playing a mission in the firefight generator and this question came up. It regards interpreting solo rules so I'm posting it here.

Mission Order:
AI closest to a unit or objective, move towards

The closest AI was a tank and the closest target was an objective. However, the objective was in the woods. The tank can move towards the objective and still not reach it but eventually, after fulfilling this order over multiple turns, it would end up next to the objective and unable to claim it (due to rules about tank movement).

So should rule 42 be invoked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I was playing a mission in the firefight generator and this question came up. It regards interpreting solo rules so I'm posting it here.

Mission Order:
AI closest to a unit or objective, move towards

The closest AI was a tank and the closest target was an objective. However, the objective was in the woods. The tank can move towards the objective and still not reach it but eventually, after fulfilling this order over multiple turns, it would end up next to the objective and unable to claim it (due to rules about tank movement).

So should rule 42 be invoked?

I would look at the bigger picture. The tank moving to position near, but never on, the objective, would make some other unit respond to the "closest to objective" once the tank can no longer move. At this point, the AI will already have some heavy equipment guarding the objective, waiting for a lighter unit to capture it.

So the Move Towards rules aren't always a direct path to a specific goal, but rather about manoeuvring units around the map. Sometimes the movement doesn't make any sense, in which case invoking 42 might be reasonable. I tend to let AI perform even the oddest movement actions, because they've turned out to be quite unpredictable and dangerous more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Moe,

Simo is correct. I also want to point out that a tank will move into heavy woods if it is performing a Low Risk Move. So it is possible for the tank to eventually take and sit on the Control Marker.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Hi Moe,

Simo is correct. I also want to point out that a tank will move into heavy woods if it is performing a Low Risk Move. So it is possible for the tank to eventually take and sit on the Control Marker.

Gunter
Academy Games

Ah! An exception I completely forgot. It would be helpful if the rules clarified this both under vehicle movement and under LRM. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.