Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
I ran into this video game a couple of days ago, and it looks to be the most accurate space combat simulation available on computers today. The creator's blog is at https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com and they've gone into the same level of detail, if not more so, than Phil does with regards to getting spaceships accurately modelled.

Does anyone have any experience with the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never heard of this, but it's on my must buy list now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run across the same video on Steam, but I'm not really very clear on what the gameplay is like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't realize it was actually out. I should probably take another look, in that case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Looks pretty neat. I wish it focused more on exploration and less on battling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
nom_ wrote:
I've run across the same video on Steam, but I'm not really very clear on what the gameplay is like...

Reading the reviews apparently it's quite puzzle like because of delta-v limits.

Can't tell you much beyond that which is why I was asking the question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Manley does a playthrough of it on YouTube:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it and really, really enjoying it. Obviously I'm firmly in the target audience, but then you are too.

The module designer allows you to design the components down to a ridiculous level if you want - nozzle expansion ratios and so forth - and specify materials using pretty much whatever - you can make a solid gold spaceship if you like (will be expensive and presumably not useful).

As an actual game, there's definitely a "puzzle" feel to everything.

You can take exception with some of the assumptions made, but it's a game with an opinion, which is one of the reasons why I appreciate Sierra Madre Games - they're simulations, but they come with a degree of inherent bias which you can discuss and investigate.

The game flips between turn based manoeuvre and real time combat. The Combat is mostly AI-controlled, aside from some fairly basic orders, and control over sub-systems.

The orbital mechanics are manual, but there are automated parts of it (get a close orbit, and the game will offer a solution for "fly-by" or "intercept" and the like.

Weapons are (mostly) drones, missiles, guns, decoys (for missiles) and lasers. Radiators are (mostly) really vulnerable and easy to destroy. Most of the stock ships have the pictured form factor (cones), since angled armour is a thing.

You can customise *everything*. To a stupidly granular degree. You don't have to, but it's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dang it! Something more I want to spend money on... added to my wish list. Maybe for Christmas? Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.