Subject: Cultural assumptions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: narcissists_support_group [+] [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I've noticed over the years about myself is that I am highly but entirely unconsciously culturally adaptive. When I am surrounded by people from a specific culture for an extended period, I will often get comments to the effect that I behave more X than the X. This has happened with Mexicans, British people, Germans, Russians, etc. Yet I'm never aware that I've changed anything about myself.

A major drawback of that is that once I'm out of the environment I cannot mentally go back. Thus, I do not understand the American obsession with guns and indeed think it positively insane as do most non-Americans. Yet when living in America, gun ownership was just routine and normal. Although I was raised more or less Christian, I really can't think in Christian terms anymore; try as I might my mind just doesn't work that way anymore.

So I gather I'm unusual in being adaptive like this. Yet others must be in various ways familiar with differences of cultural POV. What kind of impat does it have with how you post on RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actuslly it's a very nirmative behavior over time.

I've done it anywhere I've lived at length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I usually 'fit in' pretty easily whereever. For better or worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people do - it would be why regions tend to have certain cultural patterns, despite many places being relatively full of newcomers to the area.

Also of note: accents changing another common thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I think most people do - it would be why regions tend to have certain cultural patterns, despite many places being relatively full of newcomers to the area.

Also of note: accents changing another common thing.

Yeah I'm a polyglot and after a relatively short time in the language actively I'll sound like a native. It's weird how it happens though. For example my German sounds consistently Austrian but I have no idea where that comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Adaptive' or 'easily manipulated'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
'Adaptive' or 'easily manipulated'?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is just a manifestation of 'adapt' in adapt, migrate or die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Actuslly it's a very nirmative behavior over time.

I've done it anywhere I've lived at length.

Depends how long length is. But being clearly British (English) works well in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend talked on the phone to an (Asian) Indian. He started speaking with the distinctive Indian speech rhythm. I mentioned it to him after the call, and he hadn't even realized he was doing it.

I seem to be poor at learning natural languages. While I have to learn them consciously, I'm pretty good at adapting to other cultures, especially their thinking and value systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
whac3 wrote:
So I gather I'm unusual in being adaptive like this. Yet others must be in various ways familiar with differences of cultural POV. What kind of impat does it have with how you post on RSP?

Not much. Most people here are American and / or write in standard edited English. That makes asking the questions pretty easy. It's not like I'm having a discussion with Kimball O'Hara in RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I think this is just a manifestation of 'adapt' in adapt, migrate or die.
Not really, I think it is just more of a case of you just act like the peer group.

It is simply that you just pick up the mannerisms and attitudes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.