Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things cropped up today in a game that I'd like to find out if there's official rulings on.

Both queries are about the Tripler's wild flare ability, which reads

As a main player, when your opponent reveals an attack card of 15 or higher, you may divide that attack card's value by 3 (rounding up) before any other game effects are applied.

So in a game where a player as the Gambler has the Tripler's flare card, the two things that happened were as follows

- in an encounter the defender (Humans) plays a morph card, and the attacking Gambler (who has the Tripler flare card) plays an Attack 23 card, is he then able to play the flare to get it's wild ability and divide the value of the defender's attack (granted by the power of the Morph card) by 3? The way I interpreted this was that the flare card says "when your opponent reveals an attack card" but the Humans hadn't played an attack card so the flare couldn't be used. Is this correct?

- the next time that this pesky flare card caused some conversation was in a similar encounter, but this time the Mirror were defending. Before revealing Encounter cards, the Mirror chooses to use his power to reverse the numbers on the cards, then flips over a 09 card (which, due to his power now becomes a 90) - could the Gambler now use the Tripler flare in this instance? Again taking the rule on the card as read it says it's played when you reveal an attack card of "15 or higher" but the card wasn't 15 or higher it was 9 so we decided that it couldn't be played.

If you got this far then thanks for reading!

I've had a look around the forums and various FAQ's and I haven't been able to find anything that answers these questions but I *did* look so apologies if the answers are there and I have overlooked it somehow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sula
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious to see what others say, but I have interpreted that the same way as you - Mainly because of the phrase "before any other game effects are applied."
I take that to mean: Evaluate the opponent's attack card before the morph card takes on an attack value, or before the Mirror uses his power to flip the value, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with the Morph card example it's fairly straightforward, but having another read of the Mirror's ability it is a little more complicated because of the wording where it says that the Mirror declares if they're using the power *before* cards are revealed, and then the encounter is resolved using the new values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that a Morph always *reveals* as either an Attack or a Negotiate. This is an "inherent" quality of the Morph card, and cannot wait until other card-value-manipulation effects happen.

Wild Tripler says, "when your opponent reveals an attack card of 15 or higher". In this case, the Morph reveals as an Attack 23. So it gets reduced to 08.

In the case of the Mirror, it should be noted that when the power is used or declared does not necessarily have anything to do with the timing of when the effect is *applied*. Just because the Mirror calls out "reflect" in the Planning phase, doesn't mean that the reflection must happen before the Wild Tripler effect (or any other effect). In this case, the Wild Tripler specifically says that it is applied before other effects, so the 09 would not be affected, being less than 15. Then the reflection happens and it becomes a 90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.