Subject: Italian Air Force units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo Maffei
Italy
Torino
TO
flag msg tools
I just received my copy of Sicily II and started to look at eth counter sheet. In my opinion the Italian Air force combat ratings are somewhat weird.

The Mc 202 has a combat value of "3": the same of a Mc200, G50, or Hurricane, despite The Mc 202 had a maximum level speed of 600 km/h. 100 Km/h faster than the Mc200 and G50, and at least 60 Km/h faster than the Hurricane. It had a much better rate of climb, it could easily take on a hurricane or kittyhawk and could reportedly dogfight with a Spitfire (earlier versions) on roughly equal terms. The only major flaw was its light armament of only 2 X 12.7mm MGs.
The Mc 205 was basically a pimped Mc 202 with a more powerful engine and a more potent armament. It could reach 640 Km/h and its armamament of 2 heavy MGs and three 20mm mouser cannons brought it at level with both german and allied fighters. It had very good rate of climb and manouverability. According to historical accounts it was capable of dogfighting with a Spitfire, P38. It had the same engine and weapons of the BF109 of the time yet is rated "4"; much less capable of both Spitfire V and Bf109.

Any insight about the reasons for such low ratings?
What characteristics have been factored in order to assign those values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crew Training?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Maffei
Italy
Torino
TO
flag msg tools
If so, I would say it is just too simplistic and biased. Most of the Italian pilots of the time were veterans and well trained. Moreover, if it was about training then even the rating of the MC 200 and G50 should have been lowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...

Just before Husky the USAAF did bomb the crap out of the airbases, so I suppose it could be an abstraction of an unfamiliar area for pilots (RAI rushed replacements in from other AOs) or the lack of communications.

Edit - Weren't the 200 series plagued by radio issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In OCS each counter represents a number of aircraft (250?) and the depiction is an indication of the majority of units but not an exact representation.

I suggest that you ask your question at consimworld were Dean Essig will tell you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Maffei
Italy
Torino
TO
flag msg tools
Yes, Most of the Italian first generation aircraft (Mc200, G50, Cr42) had serious issues with radio equipment, either malfunctioning or lacking at all.
A far worst issue though, was the obsolete machines and figheter tactics adopted in the early stages of the war...by 1943 the crews had learned the lessons, but on the other hand there were too few modern machines available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Maffei
Italy
Torino
TO
flag msg tools
Well, i considered the "number" factor as well, but there is an Italian Bf109 unit (these were Messershmitts flown by Italian pilots under italian insignias) and it is rated "5" just as the regular BF109 units. That's what arised the question: if it was about training, than even the 109 in italian hands should have been rated lower; if it was about numbers, the 109s in Italian Service were even less than the Italian machines so...

I'll follow the advice and post on the Consimworld site.

Thank you for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.