Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Carlson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
I have been searching for a simple-but-strategic game that my family would enjoy playing that isn't my dreaded nemesis, Catanninja. They are experienced in The Game Of Life, Exploding Kittens, Bananagrams, and UNO soblue. For a bit of a gateway game into the true treasures of the tabletop, I picked up Imhotep about a week ago and it has not left our table! I love everything about this game, but as it turns out, in the high-intensity building battles with my wife and our friends, a few questions have come up:

"B" Side Pyramids: I'll use the example which has happened multiple times - the final ship of a round is unloaded at the market and a red ENTRANCE card to immediately place one stone in the pyramid site is picked up. In the third pyramid, the bonus spot (1 point + place stone on an empty ship) is free but there are no ships in this round (has also happened with all ships full). Do you hold over the bonus and get a free placement for the next round, as "we" decided (...mainly my wife reaped the benefits )? Or is the ruling that if there are no places left on ships for the current round, you just miss out on the bonus placement?

"B" side Burial Chambers: For a TWO-PLAYER GAME ONLY, how is the scoring handled for the end of the game? 8 points for most in each row and 0 points for last? Or is it 4 points for second (according to the scoring chart)?

"B" side Burial Chambers: In a 4-player game, only two players actually placed stones on this build site and tied for amount of stones in each of the three rows; we ended up splitting the 24 possible points, making it 12 points each, and the two players who didn't place any stones looked to gather some free points for a tie in the second place scoring slot. Our ruling was that if you don't have any stones to score on a build site, you don't get points for a build site.

Also, open to ideas for tie-breakers in a TWO-PLAYER game. The rulebook variation for not placing a stone on each of the 4 build sites likely won't happen with just two players.

Wish me luck when I get to introduce the family to Imperial Assaultcool and, when it arrives next year, Massive Darkness
Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That pyramid bonus does not hold over unfortunately. So it's a very situational bonus.

The burial chamber is 8 for first 4 for second with two player. The catch is that you have to actually have a stone in that row to get the 4 points. Your opponent can prevent you from getting a stone in a row of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Read the rule book carefully.

- The B-side Pyramid rule is clear:

"You get 1 point and can place 1 stone from your supply sled token on any empty space of a ship that has not yet sailed to a site."

So clearly, if all the ships have already sailed, you will just get 1 VP and cannot place a stone on a ship.

- As for the B-side Burial Chamber, remember the player must have at least one stone in the row to score. If they have no stone in the row they do not score. So if you have the most you get 8 VPs and the other player who has the least, but at least one stone in the row, gets 4 VPs. Regardless of player count.

- You are correct, for the B-side Burial Chamber, if a player has NO stones in a row, that player cannot score any points. The rules state you must have at least one stone to score. And the rules discuss ties here:

"In case of a tie, add up the placement points and divide them among the number of tied players. Every player involved in the tie shared in the divided-up point total rounded down to the nearest whole number."

The rule book has an example of a tie for 2nd/3rd. They add 4+2=6 and divide by 2=3. A tie for 1st/2nd would be adding 8+4=12 and divide by 2=6. A 3-way tie for 1st/2nd/3rd would be 8+4+2=14 divide by 3 and round down to 4.

- For an end game tie, the rule book is clear:

"In case of a tie: The player with the greater number of stones on his or her supply sled token is the winner. If this is also a tie, the tied players share first place."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, going from Imhotep to Imperial Assault is a massive jump. I would place my bet on that falling flat. I wouldn't do that if I were you. You could turn them away from games for good. Remember, non or casual gamers don't feel the need to keep moving to new games like you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.