Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if, in addition, to collecting one meat food from the food bank when a carnivore successfully attacks, a species with Scavenger would also collect a meat food from the food bank whenever a species goes extinct?

This would work well with the theme of the game. I imagine in Climate, when things get really bad and species are dying off left and right that the scavengers would be doing well. For a time at least.

I don't think this would overpower the card as extinction isn't common enough to rely on as a steady source of food (in the games I've played anyway!). And the card as it currently exists isn't super strong to begin with.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We contemplated updating Scavenger to be something like:

"Receives 1 Meat Food from the Food Bank anytime a species loses a Population"

I forget exactly why we decided against it. Every card we changed would increase the cost of the Conversion Kit. And while it would be more thematic, but we generally thought it would be a bit overpowered in CLIMATE. Making it less powerful led to some confusion with regards to timing issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When thinking about the card, I contemplated that getting a meat food for each population lose would be more thematic. The reason I didn't suggest it, and perhaps the reason your team decided against it as well, is that it would be overpowered. Especially since both carnivores and non-carnivores could use it. And in Climate, where population can drop due to predation, starvation and environment, there would be a ton of free food. It would likely become a must-have card. That's why I suggested limiting it to extinction only.

As for the production costs, I had not considered that. Makes sense to limit the new material where possible. Thanks for that insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
When thinking about the card, I contemplated that getting a meat food for each population lose would be more thematic. The reason I didn't suggest it, and perhaps the reason your team decided against it as well, is that it would be overpowered. Especially since both carnivores and non-carnivores could use it. And in Climate, where population can drop due to predation, starvation and environment, there would be a ton of free food. It would likely become a must-have card. That's why I suggested limiting it to extinction only.

As for the production costs, I had not considered that. Makes sense to limit the new material where possible. Thanks for that insight.

You glossed over the timing issues. When a species goes extinct from starvation, does the Food go on the Species Board at that time and then stay on it until the next round? That feels weird, but it would be the only way to do it. Doing that would mean we would have another card in the set which is not self-explanatory. That's something we don't like to do unless we think there is no other alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.