BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: University Project looking for testers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emelie Rodin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hello everyone here!

As you all can see I'm from sweden and I'm right now doing my bachelor year in Uni, In this year we have to develop and make a product which we then release to a market. This is where you people come in.

We are right now building a game without RNG elements, where you the player are in control and use hidden information and information scouting to win.

We want you to test our game, and come back richer from the experience of playing it, everything in the game could change at any time, depending on the demand of You!

Would you be interested to test the game, just go to our forums over here or talk with me here and I should be able to hook you up with some sweet game testing

http://stateofwonder.proboards.com/

Also If you just want to watch what we are doing you can follow us on these platforms:

https://stateofwondersite.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/SoWGameDev
https://www.facebook.com/StateOfWonderTheGame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emelie Rodin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Noticed i Put this in the wrong forum part, if a mod could move it, it would be great! (Sorry I'm new here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanynia wrote:
We are right now building a game without RNG elements, where you the player are in control and use hidden information and information scouting to win.

When you list "without RNG elements" as a core feature of your game, and then immediately start talking about hidden information, it kind of sends mixed signals. Sure, you could formally consider rock-paper-scissors to be "without RNG elements", but at that point the distinction is mostly academic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emelie Rodin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hidden information is not randomly generetad and using hidden information can be a skill.

But if enough player feels that hidden information are a bad thing to the product, we will ofcourse change this and reveal the information to the players from the start.

I see the point though, and I myself has seen it as a problem, but the solutions that we've made haven't been practical.

I agree on the Rock Paper Scissors thing, It is a game based on bluffing, but many people make it turn into chance by just doing it.

Hidden information opens up more choices in the design space and allows players to bluff as they only have a set amount of choices regarding their design, which we have really enjoyed in our internal game testing channel, but I will discuss this further with my team!

Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most players don't consider randomness to be an inherently bad thing. But if you're going to make a special point of avoiding randomness, you probably don't want a game where the Nash equilibrium strategy involves the players intentionally randomizing their own actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratego is a prime example of "Hidden Information" and "No Randomness".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emelie Rodin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Stratego is a really good example and thank you for bringing it up! Great game over all.

Also about the Equilibrium strategy, We are trying to work that out of our game as much as possible through different mechanics. So we hope to create a diverse game of strategies and we have talked about the BFG of tactics in our game a lot which pretty much leads down the same road.

We've encountered problems with that earlier in our prototype so we are definetly on the look out for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.