Subject: Where to begin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefán Gunnar Sveinsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello,

I got this game (3rd edition I think) a while back, but haven't had time to dive into the rule book until now.

And I have to say I find it a bit daunting, and maybe not as clear cut as other AH rules?

Is there anywhere a handy teaching guide, or maybe a one page turn summary? Is each option resolved separately for each front, or does one resolve movement for all fronts, then combat for offensive/attrition?

What are the main differences between the third and fourth editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
stebbig wrote:
.. and maybe not as clear cut as other AH rules?

Okay, that made me chuckle. No doubt about it, it's a complex game with a lot of rules vagaries.

At the end of the rule book is a sequence of play. I'd have that out at all times...in fact I still do when playing. There simply is no one easy way to play this game but coming here is a great way to get answers.

1) All movement is done in one step...well two: naval movement with all its possible interception. And then air and ground units.

2)Then combat is done at the attacker's discretion: either doing his attrition then his offensive, or the other way around but offensives are done universally. That is if you are conducting an offensive on two fronts all that action occurs simultaneously; you don't do the offensive in the west, then the one in the east. You can do two attritions separately divided by the offensive.

3) Not much difference; the rule book was polished and the map buffed up. There are many rules clarified over the years in The General magazine. There is a file here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/55571/3r-45-rulebook-d... with the questions and answers inserted at the appropriate rule point.

Finding some kind soul with the time to play a game with you on Vassal might be the best way to get started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.