$35.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Road to Legend App Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mb
Ok my friend and I have started playing the Road to Legend, and we actually finished the Goblin Quest (was that really suppose to be super short?)

A Few questions arose (and as we are both new to playing Descent we were hoping some vets could help us out).

1) Monsters actions - ok the app lists a bunch of options for the monsters. We might of missed this but are we suppose to do all the actions each turn, or just the first two (we both thought it was like Imperial Assault where they only get two actions). Also if they are already adjacent to a hero and they have to engage the closest hero are they already engaged?

2) Familiars - when monsters target the closest hero do they count as well?

3) Stunned - How does this work with monsters, are they stunned for one action or the whole turn. This is what brought up the first question because we thought it was just one of the two actions then get then we read the card and wondered if it would be the whole turn.

4) Unique Ettin and group - In the goblin scenario it asks us to put in Unique Ettin, then when it acted it had both a Unique and a minor one? We played with only 2 heroes so is this correct? or should it of been just the one Unique.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
Ok my friend and I have started playing the Road to Legend, and we actually finished the Goblin Quest (was that really suppose to be super short?)

A Few questions arose (and as we are both new to playing Descent we were hoping some vets could help us out).

1) Monsters actions - ok the app lists a bunch of options for the monsters. We might of missed this but are we suppose to do all the actions each turn, or just the first two (we both thought it was like Imperial Assault where they only get two actions). Also if they are already adjacent to a hero and they have to engage the closest hero are they already engaged?

In brief, start from the top and execute the first valid action. Then start from the top again and chose the topmost valid action again. Stop.
See RtL rules-book for all details.
icechamber wrote:

2) Familiars - when monsters target the closest hero do they count as well?

Familiars treated as figures or obstacles (reanimate, wolf, summoned stone) are attacked as if they were heroes. All others familiars not.
icechamber wrote:

3) Stunned - How does this work with monsters, are they stunned for one action or the whole turn. This is what brought up the first question because we thought it was just one of the two actions then get then we read the card and wondered if it would be the whole turn.

Just one action
icechamber wrote:

4) Unique Ettin and group - In the goblin scenario it asks us to put in Unique Ettin, then when it acted it had both a Unique and a minor one? We played with only 2 heroes so is this correct? or should it of been just the one Unique.

Place 1 ettin only. The app always asks for minions and masters even if noe were place or are left. Otherwise you would have been instructed to place an ettin group.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mb
Cool thanks for the quick response...

Looks like we worked most of it right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
icechamber wrote:

1) Monsters actions - ok the app lists a bunch of options for the monsters. We might of missed this but are we suppose to do all the actions each turn, or just the first two (we both thought it was like Imperial Assault where they only get two actions). Also if they are already adjacent to a hero and they have to engage the closest hero are they already engaged?

2 Actions. Start from the top and make your way through the list. If the monster is already engaged, you don't try to engage again. Same goes for spotting.

icechamber wrote:

2) Familiars - when monsters target the closest hero do they count as well?

Yes. If it's based on an attribute, their attribute is is treated as 0

icechamber wrote:

3) Stunned - How does this work with monsters, are they stunned for one action or the whole turn. This is what brought up the first question because we thought it was just one of the two actions then get then we read the card and wondered if it would be the whole turn.

The only action they can perform while having the condition is remove this condition. The second action can be anything else because they no longer have the condition.

icechamber wrote:

4) Unique Ettin and group - In the goblin scenario it asks us to put in Unique Ettin, then when it acted it had both a Unique and a minor one? We played with only 2 heroes so is this correct? or should it of been just the one Unique.

It does this by default. If there are no minions of that group, ignore it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sadgit wrote:

In brief, start from the top and execute the first valid action. Then start from the top again and chose the topmost valid action again. Stop.
See RtL rules-book for all details.


This is incorrect. You start at the top and execute the first valid action within the list, then CONTINUE and execute the second. This is especially important for ranged monsters which use 'spot', as they move to the closest space within 3 squares and line of sight of the target. If they cannot reach that spot, they will often still take a ranged shot from further away, rather than waste the second action to move closer.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Also keep in mind that monsters can only attack once even if the list on the app has a couple of attack actions.
(of course it'll say on the monster card if they can have both their actions as attacks - e.g. Wendigo)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:


icechamber wrote:

3) Stunned - How does this work with monsters, are they stunned for one action or the whole turn. This is what brought up the first question because we thought it was just one of the two actions then get then we read the card and wondered if it would be the whole turn.

The only action they can perform while having the condition is remove this condition. The second action can be anything else because they no longer have the condition.


I agree that this would make more sense, but it's not actually what the card says. The card specifically says that this removing the stun card is the only action that can be performed that turn. Is there an official clarification of this somewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
InfinityBlack14 wrote:


icechamber wrote:

3) Stunned - How does this work with monsters, are they stunned for one action or the whole turn. This is what brought up the first question because we thought it was just one of the two actions then get then we read the card and wondered if it would be the whole turn.

The only action they can perform while having the condition is remove this condition. The second action can be anything else because they no longer have the condition.


I agree that this would make more sense, but it's not actually what the card says. The card specifically says that this removing the stun card is the only action that can be performed that turn. Is there an official clarification of this somewhere?


It does make sense. The card says the only Action you can take while you have the card is to discard the card. Then you no longer have the card, so you can take your second action. If you search the forums you will find many conversations about this when the game first came out.

*Edit* Its also covered under the first entry under "Conditions" in the FAQ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.