Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the number of times I myself think "my wife is going to kill me" or hear from others concerns about homicidal spouses, should we begin to consider the board game hobby as risk seeking behavior?

Why isn't this being reported in any of the major news outlets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be interesting.

Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
My wife doesn't understand me.

Perhaps I should stop using a voice scrambler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should indeed, and that's why I asked for divorce.

Board games come first, don't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revgiblet wrote:
My wife doesn't understand me.

Perhaps I should stop using a voice scrambler?

or the gag....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend really likes board games, it's video games (she doesn't mind people playing them) she doesn't really want around. While she loves board games, I feel like she likes them because its spending time with people. Bonding time with family, friends, more than the game itself. Of course it's about fun too, & games she doesn't enjoy she'll pass (but still spend time at the table).

I feel like, she'd feel like it's too much if I was obsessive in anyway about board games. IE spending a lot on them frequently, wanting to play them all the time (she does like playing frequently) although I don't want to play all the time anyway.

Basically as long as priorities are in order she doesn't care, I just feel like for many people, where the line is drawn as to "better things to do" & "interfering with priorities" is going to vary. Then some people want to board game to get away from priorities. Can't say that I blame them, & that's probably where my girlfriend wouldn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is the main person I play games with regularly. We have gaming friends, sure, but that's a LOT more sporadic, as in, once a month if we're lucky. My wife even sits through and tries to help test my own creations. That's what you call LOVE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"And then we all got back in the DeLorean and returned to the 21st century. The End."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine. You eventually reach a point where there's so many games on the shelf she's never going to notice a new one. Right? Right??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Juggler wrote:
It's fine. You eventually reach a point where there's so many games on the shelf she's never going to notice a new one. Right? Right??
She always seems to notice the new shelves, though...

Pete (has a deal with his wife where they largely ignore each others' collections)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamers should not marry, unless they marry an opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
Gamers should not marry, unless they marry an opponent.
And split the victory points?

Pete (shudders)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish this site could get over the "joke" of "don't tell my wife I bought another games, hyurrr hyurrr"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing First Train to Nuremberg last Friday when my wife walked in, said hi, gave me a brief kiss, and left. It was only after the game ended and the company left that she pouted and told me that I did not comment on the new, sexy dress she was wearing at the time. I was treated coolly the rest of the evening.

She had made no mention of the dress at the time she was wearing it, and as one might imagine, it is hard to break one's attention from a game to notice something such as a new dress on a spouse.

While I survived this incident without homicidal threat, one can see the dangers that arise from this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I really wish this site could get over the "joke" of "don't tell my wife I bought another games, hyurrr hyurrr"

I wish it wasn't a joke.

When I see the new games come out of the trunk with covert body language, the message is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the second danger of boardgames... how to purchase them without catching shrapnel at home. There I am bored and reading BGG, when I see a new game I just have to have! But I already bought games recently, and got negative comments from the spouse. Is it possible to acquire yet more and slip them onto the game shelf without being noticed? How guilty will that make me feel? Won't I get caught, either when the package arrives at the door, or when my wife reviews the credit card statements?

So far I have sustained acceptable losses in just 'fessing up at the time of arrival (I had not the courage to 'fess up at the time of ordering).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your spouse is truly homicidal, then no level of concern is disproportionate (unless it's too little).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
My girlfriend really likes board games, it's video games (she doesn't mind people playing them) she doesn't really want around. While she loves board games, I feel like she likes them because its spending time with people. Bonding time with family, friends, more than the game itself. Of course it's about fun too, & games she doesn't enjoy she'll pass (but still spend time at the table).

I feel like, she'd feel like it's too much if I was obsessive in anyway about board games. IE spending a lot on them frequently, wanting to play them all the time (she does like playing frequently) although I don't want to play all the time anyway.

Basically as long as priorities are in order she doesn't care, I just feel like for many people, where the line is drawn as to "better things to do" & "interfering with priorities" is going to vary. Then some people want to board game to get away from priorities. Can't say that I blame them, & that's probably where my girlfriend wouldn't like it.

Great post.

If there's any truth to people's partner's being upset by a collection/obsession with board games, then I'd hope they'd really consider if board games are taking up way too much of their time. I mean, I trust partner/s to be the people who'll know you best, so if they're concerned or frustrated with you due to them it's a bit concerning. I'd stop my gaming and work it out with my partner before brushing it off.

Hobbies can eat up lives in a big way, it's not just a 19060s out of date embarrassing attitude of "(partner's) are crazy, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!" but y'know...

*glares at recent threads where people have suggested ending family ties rather than considering if board games can eat up too much of someone's life*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
If your spouse is truly homicidal, then no level of concern is disproportionate (unless it's too little).

In the case of a truly homicidal spouse, yes, concern is appropriate, though you could mitigate the worry by leaving poison in an easy to find place where she is sure to see it. That way, if she kills you, you will still have time to complete your game before you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
Ah, the second danger of boardgames... how to purchase them without catching shrapnel at home. There I am bored and reading BGG, when I see a new game I just have to have! But I already bought games recently, and got negative comments from the spouse. Is it possible to acquire yet more and slip them onto the game shelf without being noticed? How guilty will that make me feel? Won't I get caught, either when the package arrives at the door, or when my wife reviews the credit card statements?

So far I have sustained acceptable losses in just 'fessing up at the time of arrival (I had not the courage to 'fess up at the time of ordering).

Utilizing the practice "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" says a lot.

You may consider the long term and opposite implications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mariticide - the act of killing one's husband.

Uxoricide – the act of killing one's wife

Just an FYI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humor aside, my wife used to play games with me more, but her interest and time were not sustained over the years. Once a week we each take some time for ourselves to engage in our respective private interests which seems to work fine. The rest of the week, if I am tempted to open and peruse a game or play a game on my tablet, I try to be careful and sensitive, such that I don't commence these activities in her presence, or I drop them quickly when she comes by. I don't want my hobbies to interfere with my ability, imperfect as it already is, to anticipate my wife's needs and desires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
drdranetz wrote:

Utilizing the practice "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" says a lot.

You may consider the long term and opposite implications.

But of course. Why would one ask to buy the game before it is already on the way? If she says no, you get no game and she is irritated for you wanting one and feels guilty for denying you. If she says yes, you get the game, but is irritated for you getting one.

Therefore the considerate thing to do is to get yourself the game before asking, sparing your wife the agonizing choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
Legomancer wrote:

I wish it wasn't a joke.

When I see the new games come out of the trunk with covert body language, the message is clear.

Did you mean "overt" body language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
...my wife walked in, said hi, gave me a brief kiss, and left. It was only after the game ended and the company left that she pouted and told me that I did not comment on the new, sexy dress she was wearing at the time. I was treated coolly the rest of the evening.

Consider yourself lucky for having a spouse that:

(a) Shows affection to you;
(b) Wants to look sexy and
(c) Wants you to notice that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.