GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The Great Debate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/26/politics/presidential-debate-h...

Predictions?

Who will come out on top? Who will have the most memorable zinger, and will the zinger hurt, or help them? Who will make the biggest gaffe?

This is a test, you will be graded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump's gonna win.

He will keep his shit together, and Hillary will be painted as overly aggressive for attempting to goad him in subsequent (non-liberal) media.

That's my prediction.

I'd prefer it was the opposite, but that's my prediction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
America loses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Trump's gonna win.

He will keep his shit together, and Hillary will be painted as overly aggressive for attempting to goad him in subsequent (non-liberal) media.

That's my prediction.

I'd prefer it was the opposite, but that's my prediction.

Sadly, this is my take, as well.

People have such a low expectation of him, and are okay and accepting of it, that all he has to do is basically NOT walk over and punch the moderators in the face, or drop any obnoxious racial slurs, and he'll win by default. (Sadly, of course, he could do both those things, and still retain full support of most of his base - but I think the general public would see that as a defeat and it would weaken him somewhat. Anything short of that, though...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an option for "I don't care."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sauron<~*spoken hissingly*: "SERPENTINE Shelly! Fork-tongue YOU!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If Trump can remain calm and Presidential through the entire thing, he'll probably "win" no matter what BS comes out of his mouth.

That's a tall order from him though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Those that already support Trump will talk about how presidential Trump was and how shrill and harpy-like Clinton was.

Those that already support Clinton will talk about how presidential Clinton was and Trump was racist, sexting, homophobic, fascist, ect.

The rest of us just don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the DVR all set up anticipating snack/beer runs. cool (honestly I get this feeling it might ACTUALLY be boring?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Trump will blame the media for asking stupid questions and not enough about Benghazi and her email server.

Trump will rail about that damned email server even when asked about something totally different, because, you know, Benghazi.

Hillary will stay on message pushing her platform, and occasionally goad Trump in ways that he'll wave and shrug off. Believe me.

Trump will lie just about everything, which RSP conservatives will either say Hillary did worse, caused it, or Politifact is in no way legit.

Everyone in the conservablog world will have their ears fixated on every little sound bite that comes out of Hillary's mouth that they can create one liners that will be posted on RSP verbatim, even if they are out of context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
I have this sense (perhaps wishful thinking) that maybe it wont' be so bad.

While the low standards thing is mega-true, people seem to like Clinton more when they're actually seeing her speak and interact than when they're not. For someone so well-known I'm always left feeling that standing on the national stage will help her a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
I've got the DVR all set up anticipating snack/beer runs. cool (honestly I get this feeling it might ACTUALLY be boring?)

This potentially could be the greatest debate ever. There is a chance Trump will go full blown crazy town which will be nothing but pure win. I can see him getting to Clinton and making her say slip up.

This has the potential to be the Jerry Springer equivalent of a Presidential debate. I am really hoping he gives me some good trolling material for my liberal friends tomorrow.

Either way he may be the topic of conversation, at minimum, if he tows the line and manages to be less bombastic than his normal self, that in itself is news. If he says something outrageous, it will obviously make the news tomorrow. He may not win, but I suspect either way, he will be the topic of conversation tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Either way he may be the topic of conversation, at minimum, if he tows the line and manages to be less bombastic than his normal self, that in itself is news. If he says something outrageous, it will obviously make the news tomorrow. He may not win, but I suspect either way, he will be the topic of conversation tomorrow.

In US politics, that is winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The media have already written the "Hillary Wins!" stories. They're just waiting to hit the "PUBLISH TO WEBSITE" button.

Oh look the rights already preparing it's excuses in case he screws the pooch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fingers crossed for a Trump head explosion.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

If Trump can remain calm and Presidential through the entire thing, he'll probably "win" no matter what BS comes out of his mouth.

Campuses around the country are preparing for the worst.

Hofstra University has posted a “trigger warning” sign to warn students about the potentially disturbing content that may be discussed during Monday night’s presidential debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Campuses around the country are preparing for the worst.

Hofstra University has posted a “trigger warning” sign to warn students about the potentially disturbing content that may be discussed during Monday night’s presidential debate.

Ho-lee fuck. And I thought all that talk about trigger warnings in universities was trolling by the right. That is funny as hell. Do they not feel pathetic and ashamed?

After tonight there are going to be mass hug-ins and public weeping - all signs of healthy modern post-secondary discourse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:
Ho-lee fuck. And I thought all that talk about trigger warnings in universities was trolling by the right. That is funny as hell. Do they not feel pathetic and ashamed?
What for? Trying not to cause women with PTSD to be traumatized? Doesn't sound pathetic or shameful to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
von wildensee wrote:
What for? Trying not to cause women with PTSD to be traumatized? Doesn't sound pathetic or shameful to me.

Yes,
If you've ever taught classes on sexual violence as I have and have seen kids run out of the room crying because somebody makes an ignorant comment on why it's really the victims fault. Then you might understand.

Now whenever I know we are going to discuss the topic I make sure I check in with anyone who I know might be sensitive to it before the class starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:

Except, of course, that the sign wasn't for the debate, but rather a different political issues event which explicitly discussed sexual assault as an issue.

I personally think it's only polite to warn sexual assault victims who might still be suffering from rape-related PTSD of something that might cause them to emotionally relive their assaults, but hey, I get it, you're big tough conservatives, good for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
eknauer wrote:

Except, of course, that the sign wasn't for the debate, but rather a different political issues event which explicitly discussed sexual assault as an issue.

I personally think it's only polite to warn sexual assault victims who might still be suffering from rape-related PTSD of something that might cause them to emotionally relive their assaults, but hey, I get it, you're big tough conservatives, good for you

I think a lot of conservatives don't believe that there are actually that many people who experience sexual assault.

Like when you hear about "real" rape. Doesn't count if you were drunk, wet, or didn't have your hair covered in a bonnet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Like when you hear about "real" rape. Doesn't count if you were drunk, wet, or didn't have your hair covered in a bonnet.
Oh don't think we don't see through your fancy words, you are trying to refer to "rape culture". Feminazi Betamale!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Terwox wrote:
I think a lot of conservatives don't believe that there are actually that many people who experience sexual assault.

I think a lot of leftists haven't got a fucking clue about conservatives.

You certainly don't.

Haven't you, specifically you, said that the 1 in 5 women have been sexually assaulted number is "debunked?"

Perhaps I'm misremembering. Am I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
eknauer wrote:

The assumption by the media was that it was issued for the debate (subsequently corrected) so your 2nd point is irrelevant since the nature of the debate was unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
The assumption by a bunch of stupid conservative bloggers was that it was issued for the debate (subsequently corrected) so your 2nd point is irrelevant since the nature of the debate was unknown.

fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.