Thunderbirds» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Rules for games with more than 5 Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Bellingham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all! I made a terrible error in our second game because I had not read the side of the box and assumed more characters = more players. Thus, we tried an 8-player game with The Hood and the players lost badly.

I saw Matthew Leacock say you can certainly play the game with more than 4 players and The Hood but it will cause terrible problems with space missions and makes solving issues harder because of the greater distribution of tokens.

I was wondering what house rules to apply in order to ameliorate these issues and make the game feasible with more players - up to 10 with all of the expansions!

Here are a few I've considered:

* Being able to summon Thunderbird 3 back from space as a move when your peg is occupying Tracy Island, or from Tracy Island as a move when you're in Near Earth Orbit.

* Having a new disaster drawn once every other turn rather than once a turn (or even less frequently with 8-9 players).

* Being able to trade bonus tokens between characters who are in the same place as an action or operation; this one might undermine certain card and character abilities so is the one I'm least sure would be a good idea.

Do you think any of these would help or hinder a game with more than 4 characters, and can you think of any others that might be beneficial in keeping the game playable when over-saturated with characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rightly belongs in Variants, not Rules.

I have no good suggestions I'm sorry, I've never tried going outside the box like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd be concerned about trying to extend this to more than 4 (hero) players - even with tweaks to prevent unavoidable losses with disasters moving too far between turns, I'd be concerned that the downtime between turns will be too long and people will lose engagement.

Maybe your group will still take to it for larger player counts, in which case good luck with finding some variants that work! But I'd personally suggest looking to other games - either a second game for 4-5 people to play alongside while the rest play Thunderbirds, or a game designed for an 8-10 player count.

Good luck either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some options for eight players:

1. Have two 'teams' of four. Have one team control the hood (alternating who controls him each turn) and the other four playing international rescue characters. After one game switch sides (using same IR characters to be fair). Use the scoring system and best score wins.

2. Split up into teams of two, each team controlling one character, and/or one or two players controlling the hood.

3. As mentioned have two parallel games going.

4. Hot seat crisis mode. Cycle through players taking timed turns with 3 characters (so each player will be in control of different characters).

Some of the variants to rules mentioned in the OP could help mitigate higher player counts; the main issue being increased fragmentation of resource tokens and player pieces across the board ultimately making the game harder (so playing on a lower difficulty level could also help compensate for this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skimble wrote:
* Having a new disaster drawn once every other turn rather than once a turn (or even less frequently with 8-9 players).

I think this would change the game balance too much in favor of the team. A better (and more elegant) alternative might be to increase the size of the disaster track by one space per additional player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.