Hide
5 Posts

1st & Goal» Forums » Variants

Subject: Realism Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Solo Gamer
msg tools
This absolutely makes the game a little longer, but I needed more realism without adding player cards and stats...I hate doing stats…I also want to be able to run a local lighthearted league and needed rules that will encourage those who need more realism in the game. My intent is simply to make a really fun game more “really funner”! I’m open to any and all suggestions, but do note I am trying to use only the components of the game plus I’ve added one d6. I did NOT wish to make the game convoluted, stats driven, or tedious. I think the strength of the game is its speed of play.

For these rules, you do NOT deal out cards. Locate and separate one of each play for offense and defense and each play has access to all plays at all times.

CLOCK: Use offense as in the rules, but add 12 defense cards to bottom of deck to make up for the 12 in your hand. These is an automatic Time Out as the first defensive card is flipped over.

Running the clock: The offense can run down the clock with an automatic penalty by flipping over one clock card.

TIME OUTS:
Must be called before any dice are rolled.
Time outs do the following:
1: Prevent 2 clock cards from being turned over.
2: Allow you to Stop a play and choose ANY other card in either scheme (unlike an audible, where you must stay in the same scheme)

New order of turn:
1: On count of 3 The Defense & Offense verbally ANNOUNCE Scheme (run/pass) (or make cards/die)
2: The offense may audible another play IN THE SAME SCHEME by switching cards.
3: The defense may then do the same.
(remember, Time Outs may be called at any time before dice are rolled)

Weather:
Roll 1d6 at beginning of each half: 1-3=CLEAR, 4-5 CLOUDY, 6=RAIN/SNOW
-If cloudy or rain/snow, then roll EVERY offensive possession until clear result
-If Rain/Snow, then Every 'Hail' or 'Mary' is possible turnover due to wet ball/slippage fumble, etc. To resolve: If pass play, roll Play Die again: if X then dropped. If run play, roll play die again: if X then fumbled and turned over at spot of ball at end of run.

Home Field Advantage:
Away team: Every ‘Hail’ or ‘Mary’ is possible offsides: Roll Play & Ref die for 2 X’s; if so then 5 Yd penalty on offense. If home team losing by more than 14, disregard this rule.

PUNTS:
Out of bounds kicking:
If desired, purposeful out of bounds kick: Roll Play & Ref dice: I one X, then out of bounds at range minus longest die; if 2 X’s then out of bounds at choice distance within maximum die roll.

Muffed returns:
EVERY punt/kickoff, receiving team MUST roll Play & Ref dice for 2 X’s; if so, then MUFF. Roll BOTH dice again; if ONE has ‘T’ then ball is giving back to kicking team at the spot of catch attempt. You cannot muff in the end zone. End zone attempt is automatic.

This seems like a lot, but for me it moves very quickly once the rules are in your head...

edit: Fixed weather rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Neff
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work ... but requires being able to do this in one's head (which some of us do not have in working order).

I like the layout. I am sure there are a few more spots to sprinkle in a few more alternate wrinkles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solo Gamer
msg tools
OK- I think I cleaned it up and fixed errors...the general feel is that you if you choose the wrong scheme, you can audible. For example:

Offense chooses a run play, the defense chose pass. On a count of 3 they say "run" and "pass" respectively. This is great for the Offense, but not the defense, which then can freely call and audible, choosing another PASS defense that will at least help a little or they can call a T/O and then choose a run defense. As the Offense sees this, they too can call an audible IN THE RUN SCHEME, or call a T/O and we start again...

ONLY 1 AUDIBLE MAY BE CALLED BY EITHER TEAM, and the Offense must call first or pass. Remember all this happens BEFORE cards are flipped over.

PREP: Locate and separate one of each play for offense and defense and each play has access to all plays at all times. There are 12 cards each side.

CLOCK: Use offense as in the rules, but add 12 defense cards to bottom of deck to make up for the 12 in your hand. There is an automatic Time Out as the first defensive card is flipped over, representing the 2:00 Time Out.

Delay of Game: The offense can run down the clock with an automatic 5-yard penalty by flipping over one clock card.

TIME OUTS:
Must be called before any dice are rolled.
Time outs do the following:
1: Prevent 2 clock cards from being turned over.
2: Allow you to Stop a play and choose ANY other card in either scheme (unlike an audible, where you must stay in the same scheme)

NEW ORDER OF TURN:
1: On count of 3, both players verbally ANNOUNCE Scheme only (run/pass)
2: The offense may audible another play IN THE SAME SCHEME by switching cards.
3: The defense may then do the same.
4: Players flip cards
(remember, Time-Outs may be called at any time before dice are rolled)

WEATHER:
Roll 1d6 at beginning of each half: 1-3=CLEAR, 4-5 CLOUDY, 6=RAIN/SNOW
-If cloudy or rain/snow, then roll EVERY offensive possession until clear result
-If Rain/Snow, then Every 'Hail' or 'Mary' is possible turnover due to wet ball/slippage fumble, etc. To resolve: If pass play, roll Play Die again: if X then dropped. If run play, roll play die again: if X then fumbled and turned over at spot of ball at end of run.

HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE:
Away team: Every ‘Hail’ or ‘Mary’ is possible offsides: Roll Play & Ref die for 2 X’s; if so then 5 Yd penalty on offense. If home team losing by more than 14, disregard this rule.

KICKING:
Out of bounds kicking:
If desired, purposeful out of bounds kick: Roll Play & Ref dice: I one X, then out of bounds at range minus longest die; if 2 X’s then out of bounds at choice distance within maximum die roll.

Muffed Returns:
EVERY punt/kickoff, receiving team MUST roll Play & Ref dice for 2 X’s; if so, then MUFF. Roll BOTH dice again; if ONE has ‘T’ then ball is giving back to kicking team at the spot of catch attempt. You cannot muff in the end zone. End zone attempt is automatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hello.
Your audible idea has gotten me thinking. I might try myself and see how it pans out. Though I think I'd rather make 2 cards with run on 1 side and pass on the other, as I dont like the idea of calling out run/pass at the same time.
One thing that could dampen it though, is that there is very little chance for big plays with this situation. If i call a pass and defense calls run, they will automatically pick draw or r/p option to dilute the damage.
Many plays in the NFL are not revealed as run or pass until after the snap.
But Im going to try it out this weekend with my brother and see how it plays out.

Im also not quite sure why you'd pick up one of each play card and then put 12 defensive cards down. Couldnt you just have the whole deck (minus those that have been used) in your hand?

We tried a ruling not long back that didnt allow teams to pick med-pass/bomb on 3rd&short or HBdive/offtackle on 3rd&long, just to keep some of the playcalling a little more realistic. The same would apply to the defense... they couldnt call dime/prevent on 3rd&short nor goalline on 3rd&long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solo Gamer
msg tools
sorry it took so long to get back on this-i'm not online all that much

not understanding your middle paragraph, except to say that the "plan" is to have one of each play on each side. So when I play solo (which is most of the time)I can blind draw from the run or pass pile. Same thing allows me to play offense and defense with 1 team. I just have all 12 plays in front of me face up for ease of calling them. When I play head to head, then both players have their 12 cards in hand, and we still use the leftover offensive deck for time.

Haven't played this in a month or so, too busy with wargames...but...wanna get back to it soon. I noticed that you were correct that the audibles really ruins the chance for big plays and any offense at all sometimes so I am going to tweak that more. I tried to play paydirt in the gap last month and hated it. too much detail-that is why I like this game-it's fast and fun, I just need a "little" more strategy on the play calling...I'll post eventually any thoughts I have after I play some more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.