Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Whats a good first faction. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Olsen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have a player who is new to strategy games and i was wondering what the least complicated faction to play would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sugest Black Goat. Several times at my play group we hand BG to the newbie and hr/she wins. As the more experienced tend to avoid attack the newcomer BG goes very well if ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the non-first time friendly factions (IMO). This is the order I view them in being obtuse for first-timers.

Black Goat
Yellow Sign
Sleeper
Opener
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagomo wrote:
I sugest Black Goat. Several times at my play group we hand BG to the newbie and hr/she wins. As the more experienced tend to avoid attack the newcomer BG goes very well if ignored.

That's exactly the opposite of my experience. I find new players have the most trouble with Black Goat.

My recommendation for first-timers, in order of ease of understanding the faction and how to play it:

1. Cthulhu
2. Crawling Chaos
3. Yellow Sign
4. Black Goat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
tiagomo wrote:

That's exactly the opposite of my experience. I find new players have the most trouble with Black Goat.

My recommendation for first-timers, in order of ease of understanding the faction and how to play it:

1. Cthulhu
2. Crawling Chaos
3. Yellow Sign
4. Black Goat

This is exactly how I would order the base factions. Unlocking Black Goat's spellbooks can be really difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that with Great Cthulhu it's very easy to understand how the spellbooks interact with each other. However, it's also quite difficult to be really successful with that faction in my experience, which may frustrate new players.

It's really amusing how much Black Goat divides opinions whenever the question about the 'easiest' faction comes up. In our group, we've had very good experiences with giving Black Goat to newcomers. At our table, first-time players with Shub-Niggurath were always in the running for overall victory. However, we do make a point of warning them beforehand about expanding too soon. Everybody so far quickly understood the usefulness of Avatar and especially Necrophagy though, so I don't think it's really all that difficult to get a grasp of how Black Goat works.

On the other hand, Crawling Chaos seems to be the 'problem child' in our group. Inexperienced players (and even some players with a fair number of games under their belts) struggle a lot with the high Power cost of its spellbooks ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't the first to wonder about this, see here for previous discussion on the topic: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1637520/which-factions-are-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu is a good straightforward choice but you should warn new players that they really need to be aggressive with that faction. I've seen some new players be a little tentative and unwilling to get into combat and that attitude will ruin Cthulhu's chances for winning. Also remind them that yes, Cthulhu is initially expensive get get into play but it's actually in their best interest to get him killed so you can respawn him more cheaply and get the Elder Sign each time. New players sometimes feel a little precious about Cthulhu and they go out of their way to protect him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At my table, first timers love Yellow sign. They enjoy just doing their own thing and desecrating and staying out of the thick of things. First timers at my table often win as Yellow sign.

C'thulhu is straight forward and more for people with more agressive styles.

Crawling chaos can fall flat for first timers if they forget to use Narly correctly.
If they do not engage other GOOs they do not get the elder signs to win.

Black Goat is bad for first time players. They always spread themselves too thin too early to get spellbooks and get wiped out.
And they always forget about Avatar.

Sleeper is OK but players often forget to use cursed slumber and just stay huddled in North America and can never reach anyone to get their 6+ combat die spellbook.

Opener is very hard for first timers. So many mistakes are made. I do not recommend it for beginners.

Windwalker is so powerful that even first time players can do well with it.
So I think they are a decent starting faction.

So my order of recommendation is:

Yellow Sign.
Great Cthulhu.
Windwalker.
Crawling Chaos.
Sleeper.
Black Goat.
Opener of the Way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.