$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Reducing Downtime? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Summers
msg tools
I haven't played the game, but I wondered at some of the options for reducing downtime between turns which seems to be a common complaint in reviews. Has anyone experimented with either of the following; having each player complete their build phase before the first player then completes his command phase (I know this is possible before First Contact, but I wondered why you couldn't after that), or the more extreme version, each player plays one command in turn order, then another command, etc. I've seen it mentioned that this would make it too obvious what you were planning and give rivals a chance to take counter measures, but is it completely unthinkable? Would maybe two commands at a time, or three, be feasible?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will go for a third option: playing with a timer. What would be an acceptable time limit to put it at to improve flow of the game without people feeling rushed? 5 minutes? 10?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris pax

Alabaster
Alabama
msg tools
mbmb
I saw those reviews as well. But after finally getting to play my copy it doesnt seem too bad. By the end we had 8 commands but moving 1 fleet takes 2 commands or more if you wanna warp really far. And you either build ships or nodes on the build phase not too complicated really. Maybe the reviewers just had AP?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Most of the people worried about it haven't played the game yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You kids, get offa my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the game to have an unpleasant amount of down-time, even in a 3-player game. Imagine what it will be at higher player counts with the expansions! It's the biggest complaint I have of the game next to the "only 3 players?" issue with the base game.

I enjoy the game and love the theme, but in our games, it's 10+ minutes between turns where you can do something... sometimes more than that if the players have AP. It steals my joy, but one player (who is very prone to AP), doesn't mind, so maybe that's the key. If all the players are slow anyway, it doesn't seem slow?

Maybe repeated plays with the same players speeds up the game for some?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
MitchLav wrote:
I've found the game to have an unpleasant amount of down-time, even in a 3-player game. Imagine what it will be at higher player counts with the expansions! It's the biggest complaint I have of the game next to the "only 3 players?" issue with the base game.

I enjoy the game and love the theme, but in our games, it's 10+ minutes between turns where you can do something... sometimes more than that if the players have AP. It steals my joy, but one player (who is very prone to AP), doesn't mind, so maybe that's the key. If all the players are slow anyway, it doesn't seem slow?

Maybe repeated plays with the same players speeds up the game for some?


Sometimes you just need to add a timer to the game. Only if there are multiple combats then maybe you might get to the 10 min mark.

Get a 1 min timer, and 1 min for the building stage, 1 min end of round, then max 1 min between token use, not including battles. Even this is a extremely leisurely pace.

An obvious one is encourage people to plan their turn, instead of ahh is my turn lets see what I'm going to do.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i personally dont mind down time, of course i grew up in the hay day of ameritrash games so maybe im just used to it. i spend the downtime planning my turns, analyzing every decision my opponents make. i get annoyed if i have to get up to get a drink or use the restroom and "miss my downtime" so to speak.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 minutes is not that bad. That means 5 minutes per player. I thought it would be double that amount considering the number of complaints.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Vardaine wrote:
10 minutes is not that bad. That means 5 minutes per player. I thought it would be double that amount considering the number of complaints.


10 minutes is massive! In a 6 round game you are literally waiting for an hour. So if you play this game with 5 players that time almost doubles!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Most of the people worried about it haven't played the game yet.


naw, dont make excuses. The downtime is horrid due to the turn setup. Would have much preferred a more active turn order with 1 action per person rotating...then you could react to what others were doing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
tierdal wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Most of the people worried about it haven't played the game yet.


naw, dont make excuses. The downtime is horrid due to the turn setup. Would have much preferred a more active turn order with 1 action per person rotating...then you could react to what others were doing.


I've played 4 games so far and it hasn't been a problem so far. A couple of people have said that they tried the one action per player one and it actually slows the game down more and isn't nearly as much fun.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.