Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, as a dedicated solo gamer, let me say this game is easy to play solo, and it's quite fun. There really are no hidden decisions to make (at least that I know of so far), and I have a blast simply walking around my gaming table and sitting in my Romulan, Klingon, or Federation chair.

As I was reading the rules, I was a bit concerned that the system seemed dry and mechanical. But when I played, it was anything but. The combination of discovering systems and pulling exploration cards lent a lot of variety and unexpected outcomes. The various fleet capabilities are likewise interesting.

In my game so far, I'm finding all three factions are rapidly depleting their resources, with the result that it's hard to build additional ships. But each faction is slowly expanding and growing their various planets, so I'm sure production will pick up.

Overall, it's a very fun game, and I'm looking forward to expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights haven't played yet but I'm sure I'll be doing some solo games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that its an entertaining solo game--see my solo game description on another thread here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1625288/fourth-game-fir...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an exercise in learning the game mechanics, I can see this working, but the majority of the experience is playing the other players rather than playing the game, IMHO. There's no trade agreement manipulation, betrayal, sneak attacks, defending borders, etc in a solo attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the goal solo? a turn limit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play solo, I just play the standard rules for each side--no special solo rules.

As for trade agreements, etc., everything in the game happens sequentially, and when opportunities come up, I consider the best course of action for that side and do it. Not optimal, but it beats having to go and socialize!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swagman
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, no. This may be the worst news for my wallet this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
When I play solo, I just play the standard rules for each side--no special solo rules.

As for trade agreements, etc., everything in the game happens sequentially, and when opportunities come up, I consider the best course of action for that side and do it. Not optimal, but it beats having to go and socialize!

are you saying you play multiple factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes--I just play all three factions and do my best for each. Pretty standard method for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that don't know the rules, it might be prudent to explicitly mention that there is no solo mode and this is just playing a 4X game against oneself. That was kind of my point.

Not having to worry about large fleets hiding in warp or your borders takes almost all the tension out of the game, IMHO. If it's fun for the OP, cool. But others expecting an actual solo mode will be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Yes--I just play all three factions and do my best for each. Pretty standard method for solo play.

yeah no hidden information so that is pretty easy to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Robert Leonhard wrote:

Fleets at warp are effectively "hidden". Just as an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Robert Leonhard wrote:

fleets at warp isnt hidden information, everyone know where the fleet entered warp, the owning player doesnt have to decide where they go until they exit, at no point is the information hidden from other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
japester1 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Robert Leonhard wrote:

fleets at warp isnt hidden information, everyone know where the fleet entered warp, the owning player doesnt have to decide where they go until they exit, at no point is the information hidden from other players.

Unless blockaded, their ultimate destination is an ever-widening field as the warp tokens accumulate. Knowing where they entered warp isn't going to help much if the map is well developed.

If I put a huge, well-armed Klingon fleet in warp, other players are going to have to decide where to put their ships based on what I ultimately decide to do. Maybe I'll strike deep at a homeworld. Or take an outlying colony. Or maybe I just want them to waste resources on blockades while I develop my own frontiers.

A LOT of ST:A is based on player motives, which are going to be largely hidden if the players are any good at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
japester1 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Robert Leonhard wrote:

Unless blockaded, their ultimate destination is an ever-widening field as the warp tokens accumulate. Knowing where they entered warp isn't going to help much if the map is well developed.

If I put a huge, well-armed Klingon fleet in warp, other players are going to have to decide where to put their ships based on what I ultimately decide to do. Maybe I'll strike deep at a homeworld. Or take an outlying colony. Or maybe I just want them to waste resources on blockades while I develop my own frontiers.

A LOT of ST:A is based on player motives, which are going to be largely hidden if the players are any good at all.

i agree with everything you said, but none of that makes warping "hidden information" hidden information is something that must be kept secret from your rivals. in the case of warping, you dont have to keep it secret because you dont have to decide until you warp out. if you had to choose a destination when you started warping and write it down (or mark it somehow) then it would be hidden information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree to disagree, Marc. Only I know where and when that fleet will drop out of warp. Therefore, it is hidden from the other players. At best they can make an educated guess as to "where" but not "when".

This being a 4x game, it isn't multiplayer solitaire. Flipping system tiles and rolling dice is certainly fun (I've been messing around with my copy, too), but trying to play solo strips away the majority of what makes the game interesting (ie, player interaction). Saying it's all known info and therefore plays fine is both inaccurate and a disservice. But by now I think anyone reading the thread is fully aware of that and can make their own decision. Enjoy your solo experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Agree to disagree, Marc. Only I know where and when that fleet will drop out of warp. Therefore, it is hidden from the other players. At best they can make an educated guess as to "where" but not "when".

but you really dont know where your own ship will come out of warp. its not decided yet. you may have plans but they could change. hidden information has a very specific meaning in gaming.

let me try a different angle. if you are playing a worker placement game, you have the option to go to any of 5 spots. there is no hidden information even though your opponent doesnt know where you intend to go, he knows where you can go. nothing is hidden from other players, when it is your turn to decide where to place a worker, you do so.

on the contrary in a roll selection game you have 5 "actions" to choose from, you choose one and place a card down. at this point you have already decided but your choice is hidden from your opponent. that is hidden information.

if that doesnt convince you then im done too. BTW i dont play games solo 99% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Richard
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I've played a couple of games solo and a couple against two friends. I enjoyed every game, all were different. That said, the final game (3-player) led to player elimination and a friend of mine sitting there for 40 minutes.

When I play solo, I cannot be eliminated . . . But the guessing and suspense of your opponents actions is missed a little. One minor complaint about the solitaire games I played was that sometimes I thought a bit too much and took a few long turns, resulting in me having to wait for myself, but honestly I hardly noticed.

To be serious about the topic, I enjoy the game and find its solo-play (playing each faction to my best ability) very entertaining.

I can see a possibility of a solitaire variant where you must reach win conditions in a limited amount of time? Creating an A.I. seems daunting but would be my preference for a solo variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I also find that it works quite well as a solo game, especially because nothing is hidden. You just have to ponder carefully each faction, in turn, and figure out what is best for that faction. Because of the randomness of the game (in drawing systems and exploration cards in the beginning, and combat dice rolls later), you have to continually adjust your strategy (the two weakest against the third usually, but you have to carefully calculate how much you can afford to lose). Of course, once someone gets to 4 Ascendency, it's a dogfight. In any case, it's just fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.