15 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Cult of Sentinel Hill (Scenario Review) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milan Verveer
msg tools
Hey all,

This is my first post on boardgamegeek ever.
Yesterday night I played one of the two newer scenarios, which released with the two new expansions, "The Cult of Sentinel Hill".

And I'm actually really sad to say, I actually kinda disliked this scenario.
Now, for the record, we played with a full group (so 5 players total) and we lost in the end.
The fact that we lost has nothing to do with my personal (and the other persons in the group as well) dislike of this scenario.

So far, since the release of MoM: the 2nd edition, I've played The Cycle of Eternity, Escape from Innsmouth and The Cult of Sentinel Hill.

The first two I enjoyed tremendously!
Lot's of fun choices to make and amusing encounters.
The stories made sense to all players and had enjoyable plot twists.

Now, in my humble opinion, The Cult of Sentinel Hill had none of these things.

From here on, I'll activate the spoiler thingy, for people who still want to experience the scenario for themselves.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just throwing it out there, I LOVED the beginning of the scenario. Immediately getting kidnapped by the Culprit(s) and waking up in some kind of weird test lab is in my opinion a great way to start a story and to get the players intrigued.
We met an old man, in the same cell as us, called Zebulon. He moved around throughout the scenario and offered new dialogue and clues whenever someone spoke with him.
Everybody liked this as well, because it added another bit of mystery!
Was this man maybe lying? Could he be the culprit?
All kinds of theories popped up at the table!
Sadly, as soon as we left the small lab enclosure, which was about 4 spaces big, we entered the woods and here players started to lose interest.
From this point on, the entire scenario revealed itself (in a very non-subtle way) to be a race to the top of Sentinel Hill and stop some old guy from summoning the Dunwich Horror.
No matter what you do, the creature will spawn and you'll need to kill it in order to win.
And it's not like he'll go down easily, because the thing has 48 hit points!!
And with the limited variation in weapons the scenario offers, you'll definitely need a few rounds to get it down.
So yeah... as soon as the battle starts, the entire scenario basically melts down to fighting a raid boss in world of warcraft.
No mystery anymore, no intrigue, no subtlety, just run around for a few rounds and enjoy killing it very slowly.
Oh and you better make damn well sure you're in sprint mode, because if you don't kill it within a certain amount of turns, the game just ends and you lost without warning.
To be fair, our group did try to think outside the box and find another way to kill the Dunwich Horror, because it seemed nigh on impossible to kill a creature with 48 hit points, so we figured, there must be some way to reverse the ritual which it summoned.
But nope, you just need to go full call of duty on it's butt for quite a while.
Now, if you mostly enjoy the combat system about this game and you love fighting monsters and rolling dice, then you could probably like this scenario.
I, however, enjoy the story aspect of MoM the most, slowly revealing clue after clue and then suddenly hitting you with a plot twist.
Sadly, in my opinion, this scenario did not deliver on that aspect.

Please do let me know if you know we did something wrong or if we missed some key story info!
I love Mansions of Madness Second edition and I think the app is a great addition, because The Cult of Sentinel Hill just felt to me like lots of combat and lazy writing. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. We had the same experience. It was ok but not more. I hope the second new scenario is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Welp ... I guess they all can't be winners, but I must admit these early returns/reviews have me a bit down. With so few scenarios available even having one "clunker" is really unfortunate.

It would be nice to understand FFG's plans to build out future stories on the App.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Sherwood
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this scenario two player and had a blast.

Major difference between the player counts:

Dunwich Horror only had 16 hit points two player. Between the dynamite and the carbine rifle we managed to finish him off the turn after we lost one of the players to insanity.

Overall, I liked the scenario just fine. The more the better. I wish they would let people use a designer to make their own scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a good time as well with 3 players. I'm pretty sure I've responded to another thread with the same review? Here? Or at FFG's boards?

Either way, I concur that I wish there were more scenarios with intrigue and investigation, but at the same time I don't find any fault with either of the 2 new scenarios.

Are they surprising? Not particularly... but given they are both based on lore/scenarios we already have/had info about, it's not surprising.

There's only so much you can do with the Dunwich Horror unless you completely disregard the source material (which they came close to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
First of all im pretty sure you did something badly that made the Horror Stronger

We were 3 people and the monster had 21 health

All in all i think the scenario was ok, i am a bit perplexed at the options that might be there that we did not investigate.

The old man you are locked in with, stole one of the evidence just as Gloria Goldberg was about to scoop it up. The audacity of the old coot.

But my biggest problem is that the scenario was really really easy, and furthermore i think we were done in 90 minutes even though we read all the text aloud.

I dont know i simply just adore the harder missions more i guess. We played Dearly Departed just before this one, but got whooped in 30 minutes. And cant wait to try again and do better.

Harvey Walters got caught up with 1 agility, a gun, 2 zombies and a dark druid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:

I dont know i simply just adore the harder missions more i guess. We played Dearly Departed just before this one, but got whooped in 30 minutes. And cant wait to try again and do better.

Harvey Walters got caught up with 1 agility, a gun, 2 zombies and a dark druid.

My first playthrough of that scenario went just as poorly! Loved it... but try to make use of the barricades! Zombies only have a Brawn of 2 and therefore need to get successes on BOTH dice to pass through them. Very thematic when they're all clawing at the doors as you build a plan to snag evidence just outside .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Ye that would have been great Of course Ashcan Pete could also have helped Harvey instead of saying

"Oh yeah just a minute, need to grab this shotgun first."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:
Ye that would have been great Of course Ashcan Pete could also have helped Harvey instead of saying

"Oh yeah just a minute, need to grab this shotgun first."

LOL. Isn't that always the way?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wray
Bermuda
Camden
Paget
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this scenario last night, solo with a party of 4 (Researcher, Professor, Photographer, Archaeologist) and have similar complaints with the style of gameplay and story.

I was fairly quick to get out of the tunnels, but I obviously spent some time searching and picking up evidence, which turned out to be utterly worthless when the endgame just became a big fight.

Having recently listed to DART's Dunwich Horror adaptation, I knew we'd have to fight the horror, but I was expecting more to it than simply trying to blaze away everything in combat. There was no Powder of Ibn-Ghazi to be found. Killing the Wizard first didn't help either.

Plus, there were a ton of Monsters that spawned! I dealt with the first 3 that arrive BEFORE we got to Sentinel Hill, in short order and without difficulty. But as soon as the Horror arrived, there was: The DH, Wizard, Hunting Horror, a Witch and a Deep One. After damaging the Wizard and Hunting Horror plus killing the Witch, Another Dark Druid and Zombie were spawned. WTF?! I lost hard.

The DH had 40 hp with a party of 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I just got done with it,

we won first go (2 investigators and the horror had 15 HP). Seems to be variable based on how quickly you an do the puzzles. .

We enjoyed it; not the best scenario but far from a clunker IMO. I agree it is maybe on the easy end but having said that we had one insane and likely would have died in one more round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FFG Chick

Minnesota
msg tools
Soloed this scenario tonight and found it very easy. Loved the initial setup but disappointed that once you get to the woods there's not much to do but pick up items. Once the horror spawned, it was taken down in two rounds with shrivelling and the carbine rifle. 15hp, I believe the number of pieces of evidence you have affects the monsters health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ChicaLoca wrote:
Redacted

Uh, spoilers tag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ya, I found this one to be very straightforward, but there wasn't much to it. It was the first time the people I played it with had ever played MoM, so it was good for learning, but overall it was ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Decay
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revenant wrote:
I played this scenario last night, solo with a party of 4 (Researcher, Professor, Photographer, Archaeologist) and have similar complaints with the style of gameplay and story.

I was fairly quick to get out of the tunnels, but I obviously spent some time searching and picking up evidence, which turned out to be utterly worthless when the endgame just became a big fight.

Having recently listed to DART's Dunwich Horror adaptation, I knew we'd have to fight the horror, but I was expecting more to it than simply trying to blaze away everything in combat. There was no Powder of Ibn-Ghazi to be found. Killing the Wizard first didn't help either.

Plus, there were a ton of Monsters that spawned! I dealt with the first 3 that arrive BEFORE we got to Sentinel Hill, in short order and without difficulty. But as soon as the Horror arrived, there was: The DH, Wizard, Hunting Horror, a Witch and a Deep One. After damaging the Wizard and Hunting Horror plus killing the Witch, Another Dark Druid and Zombie were spawned. WTF?! I lost hard.

The DH had 40 hp with a party of 4.

We had nearly the same experience:
Also with 4 investigators and a 40HP DH at the end. There were a lot of smaller monsters, we were badly damaged but at least hoped to maybe get it down the last turn with a lot of luck. It wasn't much but at least a little bit. Then the game just started spamming monsters at us. For the next 2 rounds 4 or 5 new one spawned. At this time it was utterly pointless to even play further but we thought about going down fighting. But even this the game denied us with just ending the scenario because the time was up... Really not the best gaming experience compared to the first scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.