Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got done playing 99% of a 2p game and found myself a little disappointed. Track was Cebulskie Speedway, 3 laps. We were able to complete most of the race (lead car was on the final straight, final lap) after only three turns and at that point we had to abort as we were out of time.

Pitting was barely relevant (only the mandatory 2-space pit for everyone to change tires at the end of the second turn, and that only because we realized shortly that we needed to change tires NOW).

Damage was almost entirely irrelevant (With only four moves per car for the entire race, how do you ever get close to hitting the six damage tokens needed to eliminate a car, or even have to really worry about the 3-move speed reduction)

One player's car was suddenly eliminated by a random event, which was a bit anticlimactic.

Was this just a problem of the 2-player game? I suspect that with 2 there is less interest in breaking up the pack to get ahead which means all the cars are moving more due to linking. Or is it a systemic problem and there are always this few actions per race?

EDIT: Is it basically a requirement to run a series just to offset the random chance junk that can eliminate a car suddenly through very little fault of its own (all the worse since this only can eliminate player cars, never NPCs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game part of the idea is to use the low cost cards for your player cars, and let NPC's take the heavy wear cards, so wear points shouldn't have to be a concern.

If you didn't break up the pack it will be a fast race, and 4 turns seem to be right.

In games with more players you have less NPC's and therefore might need to use heavy wear cards on your player cars.

If you play less nice and use NPC's to break things up and hinder your opponent they will need to use cards with more MP's on them to keep their player cars in the points.

On the ellimination point you mention, this game is more brutal than Thunder Alley, since you only score points for those cars in the top 10, and not for cars that gets lapped/elliminated as in Thunder Alley. That will make the elliminated cars hurt more than in Thunder Alley. If this random Event ellimination is a problem, I suggest playing a season as that would probably even things out a bit in the long run.

Some events will elliminate NPC's if no player cars qualify.

Be more aggressive with your NPC's, especially the Neutral ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Walla
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
The game does move quickly. When we player a Thunder Alley season, 16 races, we played two games in a 3 hour evening with anywhere from 5 to 7 players depending on work schedules or other responsibilities. And we added one lap to each track to make it interesting. We recently did the same with 4 players on Grand Prix although we didn't add the extra lap due to figuring we'd need a little extra time learning the new rules. The only thing we noticed on Grand Prix was a lot of cars being retired due to being lapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not at all worried about the actual game duration, it just seems like the small number of turns and low damage levels hurts some interesting decisions relevant to a Formual 1 race (namely when to pit for tires and whether to bother repairing a damage token: "at the first opportunity" and "never" seem like the obvious answers)

Hopefully this will improve with more players, but as it is I can't recommend it at two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play the race track twice. I'm playing solo with all 12 teams. I only use 22 cars so two teams only field 1 car each.

I play the first time with the follow the leader mentality. Whereas nobody will get out of line on purpose to try move to the front the 1st two laps. On the third lap I am trying to get each car out front.

This play seems to push the cars around very fast without a ton of damage. Play is quick.

On the second play I start out trying to maneuver each team to the lead position all race.

This play seems to have the opposite effect where cars take alot of damage and close calls to get out front. Play is much longer because I am agonizing over the risk and reward probably too much.

Also, one of the big things I like about playing with all the teams is that each team only gets 3 cards to choose from. Sometimes you get some bad cards (big wear cards) but have no choice but to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel S
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
Damage was almost entirely irrelevant (With only four moves per car for the entire race, how do you ever get close to hitting the six damage tokens needed to eliminate a car, or even have to really worry about the 3-move speed reduction)

I'm not sure how you are getting only four moves per car for the entire race. Using the NPC's and neutral NPC's you can get multiple moves per car each activity phase if you plan carefully.

You may want to reread the rules and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
yesman68 wrote:
Hawke wrote:

I'm not sure how you are getting only four moves per car for the entire race. Using the NPC's and neutral NPC's you can get multiple moves per car each activity phase if you plan carefully.

You may want to reread the rules and try again.

I took that to mean he is refering to 4 Activations per Player Car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.