Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Once in a while i get messages asking if I would be interested in working on projects and help out with artwork. In an ideal situation it would be nice to get replies back. If you ask me a question and I take my time to write you an in-depth reply, the smallest professional thing that you can do is update me by replying back. Just be truthful, if you think the rates are too high, or if your project is not actually ready for artwork it is a courteous manner to just let the artist know so that you don't leave him/her hanging. We are all busy i get that, but if you engaged a conversation with an artist and he replied to you in a timely and professional manner, no less is expected of you. If you behave professionally, even if you notify the artist that you decided to go with another person for the project needs, it will be a good gesture that will resonate well around the community.

Anyway thats my two cents in terms of how to be more professional when approaching professionals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. My pet peeve is when I send someone a work-related e-mail and they don't respond. It takes just a few seconds to write something like, "I'm buried with work this week. Will respond on Monday." Or something like that. I answer every e-mail I get at work within 24 hours (95% of the time, I answer within minutes and 99% of the time I answer by the end of the day, even if it's just to say that I will get back to them with more details later). Just common courtesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
You're asking for common courtesy which is sadly not common. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
stormseeker75 wrote:
You're asking for common courtesy which is sadly not common. Best of luck!

haa! that salmost quote worthy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
Common sense is equally rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
My wife is a photographer and she could write the exact same plea.

Not only is it common courtesy, the feedback is very helpful to her.

Providing constructive criticism (even it it is "you charge too much") is not rude. Leaving artists hanging is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I agree. My pet peeve is when I send someone a work-related e-mail and they don't respond. It takes just a few seconds to write something like, "I'm buried with work this week. Will respond on Monday." Or something like that. I answer every e-mail I get at work within 24 hours (95% of the time, I answer within minutes and 99% of the time I answer by the end of the day, even if it's just to say that I will get back to them with more details later). Just common courtesy.

I've set up an auto reply on my work email so I'm always "getting back" to the client/potential client immediately, but checking it on a super regular basis is also a great way to get distracted, so here's what my auto-reply says:

_____

Hello! Thanks for your message!

I've implemented a new way of working to be more productive on your games.

I now check my emails only on weekdays at 11:30am and 4:30pm (CST / -5 GMT). This allows for concentrated creative hours, where I get into a state of flow and the work gets undivided attention. I will get back to you as soon as I can. If this is urgent, please contact me via skype or phone.

Thanks, and have a fun day!

Peter Wocken

[full time freelance game graphic design]

www.BoardGame.design / tel: XXX.XXX.XXXX

_____

I've found that the system works out pretty well, and it's nice from a FT freelancer standpoint to not always need to check my emails. What's normally a time sink for me is requests for quotes, so depending on my current work load, I generally follow up with a "I'm currently really busy but I'll try to get you a quote within the next week or two."

Have a fun day!

–Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Glass
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Good idea, Peter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.