Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dropped out of gaming for a while, and when I left, AEG had just released TSA. TS was somewhat popular, but not really sought after. I come back and notice that TS and TSA are both out of print, but TS (which I have a full set of) is still relatively inexpensive and easy to acquire. TSA, on the other hand, is $100 for just the base game.

As far as I can tell, they didn't change that much, so I'm curious why Advanced is so much more expensive and popular. Any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Out of Print
2. Capitalism
3. BGG Geeks Acquisition Disorder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone was a mess of inconsistent rules and templating. Advance was a much more polished, cohesive package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Thunderstone was a mess of inconsistent rules and templating.

How so? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just never got that feeling from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been many years since I've looked at it, so I don't really have any examples available. But things like cards with identical abilities having different wording, using incorrect terms, situations where the rules were ambiguous or contradictory, stuff like that.

Nothing that made the game unplayable, but just lots of little annoyances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes are detailed in one page near the end of the rulebook (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76417/thunderstone-advanc...)

Our goals were to (a) make it play much more smoothly, and (b) get the player into the dungeon quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Card graphics are a lot easier to understand in Advance.

2. Epic rules were introduced.

3. Many cards were nerfed and balanced. No more clerics going through an entire draw pile every turn!

4. Eventually, experience could be used to pump stats instead of being used exclusively for leveling up heroes.

5. Game boards!

6. More expansions

7. Level 4 Heroes.

8. etc, etc, etc.

Advance is the better game by far.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TSA is easy mode.

Classic TS actually has more expansions than TSA. Classic has 5 boxed, plus the Promo sets vs 3 actual expansions for TSA, TSA having no less than four starter sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
TSA is easy mode.

I don't know that this is true. In TS classic, I am undefeated in games where I spend my first six turns resting Militia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy mode as in, not do I go into the dungeon or not, but hmm, which of these four monsters is worth the most since I can kill any of them. Upped draw potential, Wilderness board, monster levels and setup, "balanced" Village setup (though technically still possible to get a no-weapon setup, haven't seen one in TSA, several in Classic), throw in ItA/Numenera's M&M XP tokens, oh look, Magic Attack required, I'll just dump this one green XP, problem solved, no need to buy a card with Magic Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone Advanced Just seem to play a lot smoother. It also came with the two sided game board. The game was fun right out of the box with the stock rules. Thunderstone was fun too, but mostly while playing the epic variant. This was ok and fun but my TS cards are now mixed together. Thunderstone's dungeon seem to be a bit harder also. I just wish I had bought more TSA expansions sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Color-coding the cards was the main thing I liked in TSA over Classic, but sadly the ToR copy I have was the "dark side" version, meaning someone screwed up the brightness on the cards, you can sorta see red, green and what not, but compared to the expansion cards, it's really night and day difference.

Way TSA handled Treasure was better/fairer than Classic, but not having Traps also sucks, Rolling Boulder rolling through lvl 2 and 3 heroes devil .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sean,

TSA has at least the following which TS doesn't have: (1) a board which makes set up and play much easier; (2) Regulars which are an improvement over Militia; (3) Thunderstone Shards which are an improvement over Iron Rations; (4) an additional action (Preparation) which allows you to discard cards from your hand and redraw to hopefully make it easier/quicker to battle monsters/get better cards from the Village; and (5) a solitaire variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric G wrote:
Hey Sean,

TSA has at least the following which TS doesn't have: (1) a board which makes set up and play much easier;

I never found TS that problematic. It's on par with Dominion.

Quote:
(2) Regulars which are an improvement over Militia; (3) Thunderstone Shards which are an improvement over Iron Rations;

Just saw them, and I agree that they're better.

Quote:
(4) an additional action (Preparation) which allows you to discard cards from your hand and redraw to hopefully make it easier/quicker to battle monsters/get better cards from the Village;

Why can't someone just integrate this action into TS? In fact, I have played with some variant of this when I wanted the game to be a little easier.

Quote:
(5) a solitaire variant.

TS has a solitaire variant.

Again, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand how a board, some improved cards, and a couple house rules can so drastically increase market value. I mean, if it were the same, or even 10%-15% higher, that's understandable; but $100 when I can still find TS for $30 is baffling to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.