Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I gave up on the 1/1000 version of the game and switched to 1/2500. The size is better for playing as a large table can be used, but the 1/1000 basically need the floor. Also, pro models are less expensive, and more are available in this size (F-Toys from Japan has some nice 1/2500 fully painted versions, and you can get a nice selection in the size (including some FJ versions) from https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/category/145/trek...

In addition, I have started to put together a collection of 3D print ships. I am downloading them from http://www.trekmeshes.ch/ and Thingiverse.com. The main problem is that they are in varying scales, mostly "whatever," especially the Trek meshes are they are not meant to print but for use in computer renders, so I am using either Memory Alpha for lengths or finding the sizes using images and (gasp) math. For the Trek Meshes I need to convert them to STL format and then do a bit of work making sure it has no holes (aka are manifold), which are okay on screen as you don't see them, but in 3D printing they will fail.

The next thing is that I cannot print Trek ship as a complete model. They were not built to make this easy due to the need to support the parts so they do not warp as the plastic cools. So I slice them into pieces to print the parts separately and then glue them together.

Another nice thing about 1/2500 over 1/1000... I use less plastic filament and paint!

I am designing a flight stand for these ships to 3D print that will have the firing arcs are part of the base.

I am going to try and have these ready for the first local "Play More Games" event at Gaqme Depot in Tempe, AZ, in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I gave up on the 1/1000th because there were too few model options to run a convention game that had some ship variety. Zero Gorn options wasn't helping this Gorn fanboy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.