Subject: Need some Orphan advices rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Today I started a new posse with two friends of mine.

They're playing a melee Saloon Girl and a Gunslinger.

I decided to try the Orphan and I draw the Mission that leads to Range to Hit 3.

My idea is to have a posse where everyone is using different kind of weapons, for loot purposes. (I'm planning to use 2 handed ranged weapons)

I was lucky and I found a repeating rifle already!

Now I'm starting to think which class I'm going to pick up when I grow up.
My personal item also lets me re-roll 1 to hit die.

Right now my options are:

Rancher:
In order to get the +1 shot per kill, +2 health per clothing item and no weight to them, since I have low Strenght and HP and up to + 3 Initiative. Eventually also +1 shot but that's unlikely

This looks to me the most obvious choice! I will probably go double barrel shotgun with Darkstone grip if I do this.

Potential final Initiative is 7

PROS:
1. A Rancher with 3+ to hit
2. Lots of HP unless in Cynder. No weight problem.
3. Amazing Initiative (7!)
4. Potentially lots of Killing power.
CONS:
1. Only 3 shots per turn (unlikely to unlock the +1 shot skill)
2. Maximum Damage would be d8+3 vs large with dark bullets.

Preacher:
gain some nice healing abilities plus other sermons, take advantage of my range to hit 4 (eventually 3) and get the Spirit Bow (Using the SCOUT hat). Start stacking any +Spirit items for it. Take Zealot, that would work GREAT with my Orphan skill to recover 1 HP or SP at the beginning of the turn.
I would be limited to only 2 FAITH though, and NO REROLLS (no starting preacher skill), but sermons would be an afterthought for this character instead of the main source of damage or heal.

I think the above is a very interesting combo. Especially with the Zealot skill.

Potential Final Initiative is 5

PROS:
1. lots of attacks (3 base Spirit, and there are many +Spirit items. Probably 5 or 6 attacks by the time I grow up)
2. lots of added damage. Up to 1d6 + 2 (Toe to Toe) + 1d6 (Zealot) + 1d3 (Arrow) +1 if Undead. Char would be specialized in killing high defense with tough enemies. (That's 6-17!)
3. Faith Healing as a source of party healing for free. Not sure about other sermons. Can also use Faith Healing to immediately heal self inflicted damage from Zealot.
4. Critical Hit chance is comparable to Rancher's Shotgun (5-6 on d6 instead of 6-7-8 on d8)
5. I can freely get upgrade skills from the Orphan chart without regretting it, as I would need only 1 or 2 from the Preacher skill chart.

CONS:
1. Very Low HP compared to the Rancher (Orphan upgrade charts is HP barren). Might need to buy some +HP item.
2. Sermons will be hard to cast (Unless I unlock a starting preacher skill) and only 2 FAITH points.

Prospector: The odd choice
This guy would force me to go spirit bow unless I unlock his shotgun skill. It gives me a canteen (Heal 2d6 HP or SP), doubles my income and Darkstones, lets me double the damage when I roll 8 (If I use a shotgun). If I unlock his starting skill, I get a free dynamite attack per fight with 3+ hit!

Potential Final Initiative is 6 (if shotgun) or 5 (if spirit bow)

PROS:
1. Canteen.
2. Doubles my income.
3. Lets me re-draw unwanted Loot cards.
4. Can potentially do up to 19 damage with a single hit (d8 x2 + Darkstone ammo + toe to toe) with a shotgun.
5. If I go the insanity line, it means always +3 damage (Darkstone life), +1 more when I'm half sanity. However, this would mean Spirit Bow, no shotgun.
6. I'm a RANGED prospector with 3+ Willpower save!
7. IF I unlock his dynamite starting skill, I have a free dynamite throw each fight but NO +3 damage from mutations. (Choices...)

CONS:
1. Low HP compared to the Rancher. I would need to stack some +HP item.
2. Either rely on rare 8 to hit rolls with a shotgun, or ignore completely this skill in favor of a Spirit Bow. If I go the Spirit Bow route, the +3 damage (Darkstone life) would be mandatory (and probably better averagely).
3. Low attacks with shotgun (3).
4. Low average damage if I go the Dynamite route.

Now looking for your advices!! I have so many choices (And I like it!) that I'm already in love with the Orphan class. Probably my favorite class already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Between those 3: I'd go rancher.
The class is designed for ranged combat, the 3+ to hit will make the shotgun amazing.
Also: the health bonus for clothing will help mitigate the general squishyness of the orphan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be looking at this from too narrow an angle. You've done an admirably thorough job of setting up all of the mechanical cost/benefit equations to each of the class choices, but frankly SoB isn't a game which requires you to pursue the most mechanically advantageous route with your characters; in fact doing so could well leave you with an insufficiently challenging game.

Ask yourself instead which class you think would be the most fun to play in the game. You might even ask yourself what kind of life your orphan character would want! There is most certainly a light RPG element in Shadows of Brimstone and I enjoy embracing that, cultivating a personality for my characters. My Marshal, for example, saw mutations as a horrible twisting of the body, but since getting a Void Child and not being able to face killing it due to his own religious faith he's started to move toward accepting and even standing up for mutantkind.

Your choice, of course. This is just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Adam, Don't think there won't be a theme for each option!
Yesterday I was already looking for a crossbow wielding witch hunter like miniature for the priest option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see Rancher (inherits farm following a long battle with Outlaws, corrupt Lawyers and Rail Barons, any one of which may have been responsible for killing her parents), I can see Prospector (growing up fast exploring the the mines you get to be able to spot something shiny or the gleam of darkstone)

The one I'd have trouble with is Preacher/Nun (unless your posse included one already to pass along their knowledge).

To me items, artifacts, skills, classes etc. aren't about optimising XP/stats/damage but all about the story.

Given all that and based on your other posse members I'd go with Rancher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it, it's pretty irresponsible of the posse in general to bring a kid along. I don't think ten year old me would have thrived in targa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The kid is probably in early teenager years. The idea behind the class is that he's forced to fight/follow the posse by other circumstances.

You can write their story based on the orphan mission you draw.

For example, the one that gives you 3+ ranged hit goal translates to a kid that wants to become a Wild West legend. He wants to be best! But he's still learning. Discoveries means experience through his goal.

Another thing I wanted to explore, is the idea of the kid finding he's half Indian heritage when he finds the last clue. He could then become an Indian warrior or venture in shaman territories to follow his roots. (Yeah there's no shaman right now)

Anyway, this is a thematic boardgame, not a role playing game. You write the stories as you play. What I wanted to discuss here is just interesting grow up choices and your idea about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I ran an Orphan I wrote up (I do this for my session reports even ones I don't put up!) that my Marshal and Scout had entered the Brimstone region on the trail of outlaws only to come across a burnt out Wagon Train. The only survivor of which (the Orphan) was brought along to bring to the next town, however with no family left anywhere the Marshal was determined to bring her back East with him upon executing his warrant, and she was just as determinef to find the Outlaws responsible for her families murder.

along the way "SoB" happened...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.