Tom Kalhagen
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just have a quick question that should be simple to answer for those that have been involved here longer than I have. I recently bought Risk: Europe and I am already a huge fan. I am not to keen, however, on their rule variation for 2 or 3 players.

So, I wrote up my own variation of rules and want to share it with others who might not like the standard set either. How can I make sure that I am doing so legally and not violating an copywrite laws?

The reason I am asking is because I tried to upload my PDF on the Risk: Europe Board Game Geek page, but I got a little nervous when it was asking me if I had the rights to all of the material.

Thanks in advance!

-Kalhagen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you go to the game's page, click on the forums for it you will see a section called "Variants". That should be the best location for it.
Since they are your own made up rules you shouldn't have to worry about copyright. As long as your not copying them in such a way to look just like the rules that came with the game assuming that takes art and such from the booklet or copying their rules and calling them your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur: don't use any text or art from the original rules, especially not the Risk logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kalhagen
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Concur: don't use any text or art from the original rules, especially not the Risk logo.

Thank you both,

I did take pictures of the game board with examples to help clear up any misconceptions with my rules. The risk logo can be seen in these images and obviously the board is their artwork. Should I add a disclaimer anywhere or am I still not violating the copyright?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a little fuzzy. As it's a picture of the game in normal use, it's probably fair use, but I am not a lawyer (IANAL). If you see similar images on BGG, you're probably okay, at least from a practical point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest cropping the image but I'm more in line thinking that cleaning up the image would help focus on what your talking about.

I believe your ok as you would be taking a picture of a game's situation its not like taking a picture of a clean board and showing it off in your own variant and calling it your own. You also don't want to be posting images that people can take and make their own risk game, but I doubt what you have would lead to that.

even with all that I think you should still add a disclaimer saying this is not your artwork but rather that of the original publisher. Its not like one little line with disrupt you document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kalhagen
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added a disclaimer. Does this seem to cover everything?

"Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Hasbro or Risk. All images were taken myself but I do not take credit for any of the artwork, including but not limited to, the game board, game pieces, and the Risk logo. Additionally, I do not take credit for any of the original aspects of the game found in the Risk: Europe rule book. Any similarities between my variation and the standard rules are due to the fact that I don't want to change the core of the game but rather give another option for play style."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The meaning of the rules isn't an issue, just the wording; you can't copy wording without permission. I would say (IANAL!), "All artwork is copyrighted by Hasbro. All trademarks are owned by Hasbro. No infringement is intended."

The safest thing, of course, is to get permission from Hasbro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kalhagen
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.