Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Hayward
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Sorry I can not recall the name of the cards. It is not my game so I can't look.

We played a game where one event in slot 3 was 'if you cause another player to take unrest lose 2VP'

I had a card in slot 1 which read 'if you add unrest add 2 VP instead'.

We played it that I scored 2 VP - the rulebook states if events conflict the leftmost one takes precedence.

My interpretation was that the player forcing me to take the unrest loses 2VP, then I turn the unrest into 2VP for myself.

The other alternative was.

if I deflect the unrest into 2VP then there is no unrest and the other player takes no loss (effectively what we played but by a different rule interpretation)

OR

'you add' is interpreted as I have to cause the unrest to myself, mines for example.

I hope you can unravel my rambling :-)

Cheers

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basacag wrote:
Hi

Sorry I can not recall the name of the cards. It is not my game so I can't look.

We played a game where one event in slot 3 was 'if you cause another player to take unrest lose 2VP'

I had a card in slot 1 which read 'if you add unrest add 2 VP instead'.

We played it that I scored 2 VP - the rulebook states if events conflict the leftmost one takes precedence.

My interpretation was that the player forcing me to take the unrest loses 2VP, then I turn the unrest into 2VP for myself.

The other alternative was.

if I deflect the unrest into 2VP then there is no unrest and the other player takes no loss (effectively what we played but by a different rule interpretation)

OR

'you add' is interpreted as I have to cause the unrest to myself, mines for example.

I hope you can unravel my rambling :-)

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian you beat me to it
The cards were Great War to the left and Ero: Company Union to the right.
You were forced to add unrest and as per the Ero card the instigator loses 2 vp per unrest.
However to the left the great war has a player instead of adding unrest scoring 2 vp

We had a number of interpretations

If there is a card conflict the one to the left trumps as per the rules

But was there a conflict, you were forced to add unrest so Ero operates, not the Great War as it only happens if you add unrest through your own action, I thought I'd read something distinguishing those two situations but I can't find it now

The final view had Dan the instigator losing 2 vp for the unrest you were forced to add but Ian gaining 2 vp per unrest and not ultimately adding it
Any views welcome, I think this sums up our issue Ian

I really enjoyed the game, yes it's mine, despite being a poor third, Dan was second by a few points and had similar feelings. Ian won but amusingly didn't know why, and is keen to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
reesy wrote:
But was there a conflict, you were forced to add unrest so Ero operates, not the Great War as it only happens if you add unrest through your own action, I thought I'd read something distinguishing those two situations but I can't find it now

The final view had Dan the instigator losing 2 vp for the unrest you were forced to add but Ian gaining 2 vp per unrest and not ultimately adding it
Any views welcome, I think this sums up our issue Ian

I really enjoyed the game, yes it's mine, despite being a poor third, Dan was second by a few points and had similar feelings. Ian won but amusingly didn't know why, and is keen to play again.

John is correct that there was no conflict. The Great War states, "Whenever you add Unrest, score 2 VP instead of adding Unrest." In essence, the player that played this Headline is not causing an opponent to add Unrest but they are turning their own Unrest into VP.

The ERO: Company Union card is more of an open-ended penalty for any players that force opponents to add Unrest; therefore, it would not trigger off The Great War. However, I can see how these two cards sitting as Headlines would cause a double take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.