Subject: Phoenix Unspoken Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Chrisco
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
One of our survivors had his name "Unspoken" by the Phoenix. It says that he no longer has a name, which has two effects: first, he cannot gain survival; second, if another survivor is given the Unspoken survivor's original name, that new, other survivor ceases to exist. These effects last until the survivor is "renamed at the settlement."

We have a couple points of confusion.
1. How can a survivor be renamed? There is only one mentioned instance (that we have found) where a survivor can be named: creation. Aside from this there doesn't seem to be a way. We could simply infer that "renamed at the settlement" means that once you return you could rename him but that isn't at all clear and would make a lot of the card text pointless.

2. Why would it mention the "naming a new survivor with the same name" bit? It is mechanically pointless - if you do remember the Unspoken's name, then you would never create a new survivor with that name (there is no reason I could conceive of where you create a Survivor you want to die instantly). If you don't remember the Unspoken's name, then it obviously wouldn't matter if you gave someone new that name since you wouldn't remember to make them "cease to exist".

Finally, the "Rule of Death" indicates that in moments of confusion we should side with screwing ourselves as much as possible, so at the present we're just assuming you can never rename a character.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1- there's at least one random event that can give characters new names.
2- flavor
3- rule of death actually only deals with conflicts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chrisco
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
1- there's at least one random event that can give characters new names.
2- flavor
3- rule of death actually only deals with conflicts

I assume the random event you're referring to is "Nicknames", but that only adds to the name (it specifies between surname and first name) - it would not constitute "renaming/naming". Is there a different event you meant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
There are multiple ways to lose your name (certain hunt events come to mind), I always just assumed you could name yourself upon returning to the settlement. I think we did it mid-hunt once, but I don't know if that's right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Mask Salesman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ownerofthescythe wrote:
but that only adds to the name
Are you sure you're reading the whole card? I always thought changing your first name included adding one in the absence since otherwise it's useless, but I guess you could go strictly as changing an existing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Ownerofthescythe wrote:
but that only adds to the name
Are you sure you're reading the whole card? I always thought changing your first name included adding one in the absence since otherwise it's useless, but I guess you could go strictly as changing an existing one.

I don't have the SE card to hand but I think you're correct. At the bottom of the card is an option to use an endeavour to rename a survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.